none
Sync SharePoint 2010 Contacts With Outlook Contacts

    Question

  • Hi,

    I am having an issue syncing contact information between sharepoint 2010 and outlook. 

    I seem to be having the same symptoms as the user in this post except that my sharepoint installation is on-premises : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomizationprevious/thread/4aaa00f6-686a-49b9-81f8-a3cba747cdf0

    "Next, I created a new list using the predefined 'SharePoint Contact List' and added those missing fields from the SharePoint 'Core Contact and Calendar Columns' fields (Email 2, Other Address Details, Other City, etc) that I needed.

    I found that those fields that are in the original predefined SharePoint Contact list will sync quite happily in both directions - changes made in either my Outlook Contacts or the SharePoint Site will transfer to the other system.

    However, those additional 'Core Contact and Calendar Columns' Fields that I manually added will only sync from my Outlook Contacts to the SharePoint List.

    Any changes I make in the SharePoint List to these extra 'Core Contact and Calendar Columns' fields are not being reflected in my Outlook Contact List. As a consequence, if the Contact details are updated in sharepoint those additional fields are set to blank and the details in outlook are lost."

    My clarifications underlined

    I'm using sharepoint 2010 foundations.  I've tried this with outlook 2010 as well as 2003 and have had the same results.

    Any assistance you can provide would be great appreciated.

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:06 PM

Answers

  • Hi Aubrey,

    I still could not reproduce this issue, in my SharePoint 2010 environment, it synced the "Core Contact and Caledndar Columns" field (i.e. Eamil 2) in both directions between SharePoint contacts list and Outlook 2010.

    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.  There might be some time delay, appreciate your patience.

    Thanks


    Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Hi Aubrey,

    I tried doing a repro of the issue and haven't been successful. I would encourage you to open a support incident with Microsoft support to investigate the issue further.

    Vijay

    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:07 AM

All replies

  • Hi Aubrey,

    I still could not reproduce this issue, in my SharePoint 2010 environment, it synced the "Core Contact and Caledndar Columns" field (i.e. Eamil 2) in both directions between SharePoint contacts list and Outlook 2010.

    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.  There might be some time delay, appreciate your patience.

    Thanks


    Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Hi Aubrey,

    I tried doing a repro of the issue and haven't been successful. I would encourage you to open a support incident with Microsoft support to investigate the issue further.

    Vijay

    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:07 AM
  • I hope this thread isn't too old to revive - I'm having the same problem.

    We have a contact list that I've imported to Sharepoint Foundations 2010.  The categories column has values in it separated by a semi-colon and is populated using a calculation based on 4 other columns in the same list.  When the list is connected to Outlook 2010, the categories show up with the contacts.  When the list is connected to Outlook 2003 the categories field is empty.  This would imply that the column in the Sharepoint 2010 list is labelled properly. 

    I'm assuming it's one of two things: 1) the "categories" field in Outlook 2003 is somehow not a default schema field or 2) Cacluated fields have issues with the "read only" status of sharepoint columns when connected to outlook 2003.

    We use the categories field in the contacts lists to allow our staff to filter contacts based on pre-determined values.  We're also stuck with about half of the office on 2003 because of some custom code that is still being phased out.  I'm hoping that this information will help in determining a cause for this behaviour!!

    Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:01 AM