none
Search error: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion

Question

• I'm intermittently getting this error when performing a search in my SharePoint 2010 environment:

SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException     (0x800703FA): Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA)    
        at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)    
        at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.KeywordQueryInternal.Execute()    
        at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.QueryInternal.Execute(QueryProperties properties)    
        at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.Execute(QueryProperties properties) 

I'm running an application server and 2 front end web servers in the farm. All are on Windows Server 2008. I've exhausted my resources and have no idea why this is occuring.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:07 PM

Answers

• Had the same error.  Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Stopped/Started the SecurityTokenService application pool in IIS on all servers in the farm

2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service on all the servers in the farm that query happens on (in Central Admin, Manage Services on Server)

That fixed it for me

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

From the following error: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion, you can use process monitor to analyze this issue:

Firstly, please Install Process Monitor utility on your SharePoint server, wait for the issue occurs, post the error into the forum for analyze.

path in Process Monitor

A process (based on the ULS logs perhaps the w3wp.exe) was attempting to access a user registry key that had been marked for deletion.  

When an account logs off from Windows Server 2008 the OS will forcibly delete user registry information from memory. Then when a process later tried to access user registry information in memory it threw the COMException saying the key was marked for deletion.

Change the behavior of the OS by following the steps at

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/distributedservices/archive/2009/11/06/a-com-server-application-may-stop-working-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, July 15, 2011 5:17 AM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please make sure your steps are correct.

Secondly, reboot the Index/Query Server which hosts the Office Server Search Service.  Then check the effect.

Finally, provision Query Component on the Server Where Search was trying to communicate with Query Component, then check the effect.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the following error: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion, you can use process monitor to analyze this issue:

Firstly, please Install Process Monitor utility on your SharePoint server, wait for the issue occurs, post the error into the forum for analyze.

path in Process Monitor

A process (based on the ULS logs perhaps the w3wp.exe) was attempting to access a user registry key that had been marked for deletion.  

When an account logs off from Windows Server 2008 the OS will forcibly delete user registry information from memory. Then when a process later tried to access user registry information in memory it threw the COMException saying the key was marked for deletion.

Change the behavior of the OS by following the steps at

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/distributedservices/archive/2009/11/06/a-com-server-application-may-stop-working-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:36 AM
  • I ran Process Monitor and got the error to occur. What am I looking for in Process Monitor? There is a lot of information here.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:45 PM
  • I also made the change to the group policy and the error still occurs.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please make sure your steps are correct.

Secondly, reboot the Index/Query Server which hosts the Office Server Search Service.  Then check the effect.

Finally, provision Query Component on the Server Where Search was trying to communicate with Query Component, then check the effect.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Did this problem resolved for you ? please share

Regards Sudip Misra sudipmisra@hotmail.com +1-412-237-5435 Pittsburgh, PA

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Had the same error.  Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Stopped/Started the SecurityTokenService application pool in IIS on all servers in the farm

2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service on all the servers in the farm that query happens on (in Central Admin, Manage Services on Server)

That fixed it for me

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:06 PM
  • step 2. only of the post above fixed it for me (2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service on all the servers in the farm that query happens on (in Central Admin, Manage Services on Server))

Dieter

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:05 AM
  • I had the issue and did what Dieter did -- only restarted the Search Query and Site Settings Service and that cleared it right up.  The answer marked as correct seems like over kill given that simply restarting this service in CA will get your environment back on track quickly.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Absolutely. I spent hours and the step 2 mentioned above worked like wonder.

step 2. only of the post above fixed it for me (2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service on all the servers in the farm that query happens on (in Central Admin, Manage Services on Server))

Kartik

Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Same here: Just restart the "Search Query and Site Settings Service".

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Try to do IISRESET on all Server hosting Crawler component in your Search Topology. This will fix this issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Chirag2020 Monday, April 07, 2014 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:09 PM