none
Unspecified Error whe creating REST or SOAP Connection

Question

• I am a SharePoint User, not an Administrator, but my Admin has agreed to provide any technical information needed to help resolve this issue. 

In SharePoint Designer 2007, I created pages on sub-sites that incorporate DataViews that included information from Lists in the parent site using the "Connect to another Library" function.  I have seen that this function is not available in Designer 2010 and the suggestion was to use a REST data source connection.

I have tried this every which way and cannot get it to work.  I created the data source, but when I go to add the DataView to my page using that data source I get a dreaded message that the system received an "unspecified error."  Not very helpful.  And if I close Designer and go back to my Data Sources, they are all gone.

I have tried everything I can, tried REST and SOAP connections, following every instruction I can find to no avail.  It must have something to do with our configuration, but our Admin team has a very large shared environment, where mine is one in over 1000 site Collections, so they are not very willing to make full scale changes that would impact the other site collections. 

Is there anything I can do to get this to work?  It is critical to the functionality we have running currently.  Thanks so much!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:01 PM

All replies

• You can try a SOAP datasource and a web part page. First, try to get the list name (GUID) and then use that GUID in another SOAP datasource to get list elements.
    From SPD - data sources, create a SOAP service connection, URL = http://site-where-the-list-lives/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx?WSDL, commad = select, operation = GetListCollection. Copy the GUID of your list (after you insert the datasource in a web part page) and keep for next step.
    You can delete the dataform and edit the first SOAP connection, re-connect and change operation to GetListItems (at least listname is required and it'll take default view). Double-click listname and paste your GUID, save the source and insert in the web part (you may have to select/deselect columns to display).
    AK
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I have tried that as well and as soon as I insert the data source in the web part page I get the same error exact text as follows:

"The server reported a non-specific error when trying to get the data from the data source.  Check the format and content of your query and try again.  If the problem persists, contact the server administrator."

I have done some basic troubleshooting.  I did paste that WSDL link in a browser and I can see the XML.  I also tried changing the 3 login options on the data source and none of them works.

Thanks again, any help greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:30 PM
  • For the login tab, use the first option only. I assume you have access to the target list.
    If you are seeing this error in the datasource pane (right side) - instead of the expected datasource tree - and you are using the GetListCollection operation and not running ssl, you are probably experiencing a certificate trust issue.
    In any case, you need help from your admin to examine the SharePoint logs (ULS logs) - use the date and time to track the error (it should be more detailed there). Please read and share this post with your admin: http://blog.brainlitter.com/archive/2010/08/02/resolution-for-sharepoint-designer-2010-data-source-non-specific-error.aspx
    AK
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Thank you again for your reply.

My Admin checked the error logs and there is no error, more specifically there is no error in regards to the certificate at all.  Are there any other troubleshooting suggestions?

This has been a trying issue for me for the last several weeks since we upgraded to 2010.  : )

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:48 PM
  • The SPD error quoted above is very generic. Usually, ULS logs provide more details (ex. SOAP exception: ..., an operation failed ...). You can set ULS viewer to read from ULS and watch errors as you configure the datasource and try to insert it in the page. If you don't see the errors in the ULS logs, you can increase the 'error sensitivity' from Central Admin under Diagnostic Logging (http://CA-url/_admin/metrics.aspx). Verbose is the most detailed.
    On the client side, Fiddler may provide some insight, but ULS is the shortest route.
    AK
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Hi AK,

We have no error, even on the Verbose setting.  This is driving me crazy.  ; )

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:15 PM
  • This is very strange - at least, you should be able to track the activity in the ULS log (success or otherwise). SharePoint web services cannot be invoked (even on the server), so I would try a REST datasource. On the Source tab, you need HTTP Get and Select command. For the URL, use http://site/_vti_bin/ListData.svc/Listname (listname here refers to the display name). On the Login tab, use second option and specify the user as domain\username
    AK
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi there, as an alternative, check if you can connect to the parent site list with a SOAP data source instead. Try connect to the parent site http://MyIntranet/ParentSite/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx
    Then use the operation dropdown to get the operator GetListItem, sometimes you have to select different options here until the operator show for the Lists.aspx. The listnames value is the same as the name of the list. Btw is the intranet configurated for Kerberos?

/ C

Blog: chrisstahl.wordpress.com Twitter: @Cstahl
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:19 PM
  • I have tried this before, but for the sake of catching an error, I tried it again with the exact same result.  When I try to create a Data View using the REST data source configured as specified above, the same error results is SPD.

My Admin is sifting through the error logs to see if it caught anything.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Christian,

Thank you for your help here.  I have tried using SOAP connection above with no good result.  I did try to do as you suggested and try the GetListItem Operation instead f the GetListCollection suggested above, but got the same error.  My Admin said we do not use Kerberos.  Thanks!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:58 PM
  • We have nothing, no errors.  But an interesting thing to note is my Admin says he installed another instance of SharePoint Server at home and tried to get this functionality to work (getting data from a List/Library within the same site Collection).  It did not work on his home installation either, he received the same error.  Is there some kind of setting that would prohibit this from working?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:30 PM
  • In SharePoint Designer 2010, open the All Files (navigation pane), then open _catalogs/fpdatasources. Do you see xml files there? usually, if you try to connect to a document library and you did not give your SOAP connection a name, it gets the library name (library-name.xml). If you have the file, can you post it here? Also, if you can post a shot like this (that shows the wsdl and operation and list-guid).

AK
    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Here is the screen shot (the conents on the wsdl file is below):

<udc:DataSource xmlns:udc="http://schemas.microsoft.com/data/udc" MajorVersion="2" MinorVersion="0"><udc:Name>SOAP Connection Get List Items</udc:Name><udc:ConnectionInfo><DataSourceControl><![CDATA[<%@ Register tagprefix="SharePoint" namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %><SharePoint:SoapDataSource runat="server" id="SoapDataSource" AuthType="None" WsdlPath="http://cvgsharepoint/sites/impr/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx?WSDL" SelectUrl="http://cvgsharepoint/sites/impr/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx" SelectAction="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/GetListItems" SelectPort="ListsSoap" SelectServiceName="Lists"><SelectCommand><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><soap:Body><GetListItems xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/"><listName>_x007b_6f5bc508_x002d_bdbc_x002d_44d2_x002d_b587_x002d_2c73a1560acf_x007d_</listName></GetListItems></soap:Body></soap:Envelope></SelectCommand></SharePoint:SoapDataSource>]]></DataSourceControl></udc:ConnectionInfo><udc:Type MajorVersion="1" MinorVersion="0" Type="Soap"/></udc:DataSource>

Thanks again!

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:53 PM
  • The SOAP datasource looks fine - exactly what I have (except for the list GUID, of course). One workaround I am thinking of is to test the list/library in its own site (create a web part page, insert empty data view and specify the list/library as datasource). This should create a dataform and hopefully it'll work.
    Then, you copy the code for this dataform in another dataform in the target site and replace the datasources element (<SharePoint:SPDataSource ...) with <SharePoint:SoapDataSource ... (the element inside your code above).
    I did not try this, just a thought. Also, if your source list/library is in a special site (ex. records center), make sure you try another site template in a fresh SharePoint 2010 site (not upgraded from 2007).
    AK
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Tried copying the list GUID into an existing data form and the same error text above was given, but this time in the space where the dataview is supposed to display. 

I feel a bit hopeless, but I do appreciate your continued ideas.  : (

Kathryn

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:34 PM
  • What is strange is the fact that you don't see the error in ULS logs (ex. SOAP exception). Another place you can look into is the IIS logs for the web application (search for the /_vti_bin/lists.asmx). Even the status code could help (ex. if 401 then you know it's security).
    AK
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Hi, the data sorce seems to be ok like what AbedKhooli says regarding to the image above and you description, can you in detail describe how you add the data view onto the page & how you connect to the DS? Btw you should be able to use the Listname instead of the GUID as well.

/ C

Blog: chrisstahl.wordpress.com Twitter: @Cstahl
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Did anyone ever figure this out? I have the exact same situation as Kathryn.Stewart with the Unspecified Error when trying to add a SOAP connection datasource to a data view.

Thanks,

Casey

Data Source Error when adding it to Data ViewData Source Properties

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Did anyone ever figure this out? I have the exact same situation as Kathryn.Stewart with the Unspecified Error when trying to add a SOAP connection datasource to a data view.

Thanks,

Casey

Data Source Error when adding it to Data ViewData Source Properties

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:07 PM
  • i have the same error too, i added 3 certificates i found in mmc.exe , restarted everything  but still the same....  As a last solution, i will try to add credentials to the login tab of the administrator and see what happens....

Getting desperate...

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I have been struggling with the same issue for a long time.   I have tried to create the soap connection as AbedKhooli suggested both from fba, and extended web app using windows auth (kerberos) both with no success.   I found another post by wictor wilen to use powershell to query the correlation id http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Working-with-SharePoint-2010-Correlation-ID-in-PowerShell-and-code.aspx.  So I ran the query and the results are below. 

Topology        WcfReceiveRequest: LocalAddress: 'http://*****.local:32843/601d10047573477384a9a6c435d03e1f/SearchService.svc' Channel: 'System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel' Act...

Monitoring      Entering monitored scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation)                                                                                                                                  

Query           SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Correlation Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000                                                                                               

Query Processor PluggableSecurityTrimmerManager:SetSearchApplicationToUse: Set SearchApplication to 'Search Service Application'                                                                      

Query Processor Resetting cookie: Old value = '', new value = 'SELECT url, title FROM Scope() WHERE "scope" = 'All Sites' AND contentclass = 'STS_Site''                               

Query Processor Completed query execution with timings: total:15 dup:0 sec:0 join:-15 ft:0 sql:15. Join Retry: 0. Security Trimming Retry: 0. Duplicate removal Retry: 0.

Monitoring      Leaving Monitored Scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation). Execution Time=15.95146869225

I see nothing to indicate an error.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tina

Tina

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:49 PM
  • For anyone else who may run across this issue..I was able to get my system working.

I extended the web application to a new zone, and enabled windows authentication only.  I then set the integrated windows authentication to NTLM (when I had it set to kerberos it did not work).  I was then able to successfully create a datasource (to all of my site collections) with lists.asmx, by adding the active directory user account under the login tab to save usr/passwd.  The url for the datasource must include the port of the extended web application. This is the only way I was able to get this working.

There are some known config issues with Kerberos..http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502606.aspx

Tina

• Edited by tmz1 Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I am encountering the same problem on 2 different environments (Production and Development). I have enabled and disabled Kerberos to see if that was the problem with no difference in the errors. I am able to access the 4 different REST data sources with the same URL as placed in the Data Source settings. So what works in the browsers has never worked in SharePoint 2010. Along with the same error as Kathyrn shows in SharePoint Designer 2010 I was able to locate the following errors (for a page that has 3 seperate Rest data sources). Here is the results from the ULS log:

01/29/2013 13:44:48.44 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Logging Correlation Data xmnv Medium Name=Request (GET:http://aussp-testwf:80/dsptest/SitePages/Rest%20test.aspx) a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.46 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Logging Correlation Data xmnv Medium Site=/ a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.46 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Monitoring b4ly High Leaving Monitored Scope (PostResolveRequestCacheHandler). Execution Time=12.3395571224834 a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.49 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C Web Content Management Publishing 7fz3 Medium Setting [Display] as the FormContext.FormMode for the current page a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.57 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x2158 SharePoint Foundation Web Parts ei9m Monitorable Error while delta-compile custom Xsl for dataformwebpart: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.CustomizedXslWorker(STransform baseXslt, String webUrl, String Xsl, String baseViewID, String templateType, String viewStyleID)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DomainRunner.Invoke() 
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.57 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Web Parts 89a1 High Error while executing web part: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.LoadXslCompiledTransform(WSSXmlUrlResolver someXmlResolver)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXslCompiledTransform()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform) a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.57 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x1FC0 SharePoint Foundation Web Parts ei9m Monitorable Error while delta-compile custom Xsl for dataformwebpart: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.CustomizedXslWorker(STransform baseXslt, String webUrl, String Xsl, String baseViewID, String templateType, String viewStyleID)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DomainRunner.Invoke() 
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.57 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Web Parts 89a1 High Error while executing web part: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.LoadXslCompiledTransform(WSSXmlUrlResolver someXmlResolver)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXslCompiledTransform()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform) a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.57 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x27A4 SharePoint Foundation Web Parts ei9m Monitorable Error while delta-compile custom Xsl for dataformwebpart: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.CustomizedXslWorker(STransform baseXslt, String webUrl, String Xsl, String baseViewID, String templateType, String viewStyleID)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DomainRunner.Invoke() 
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.58 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Web Parts 89a1 High Error while executing web part: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: s     at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.LoadXslCompiledTransform(WSSXmlUrlResolver someXmlResolver)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXslCompiledTransform()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform) a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3
    01/29/2013 13:44:48.60 w3wp.exe (0x2ADC) 0x257C SharePoint Foundation Monitoring b4ly Medium Leaving Monitored Scope (Request (GET:http://aussp-testwf:80/dsptest/SitePages/Rest%20test.aspx)). Execution Time=165.916897259289 a779a744-40d9-4930-8409-cfb0b77f0ff3

I hope this can help us find the answer!

Greg McAllister

Greg McAllister

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:50 PM