none
Using Data View to display file names in Document Library sub-folders

Question

• As I've done numerous times before, I have created a page in Designer and inserted a data view that points to a Document library to list a customized view of all the files in the library. (Mostly I'm using conditional formatting.) No problem there.

The twist this time is that this particular Document library has numerous sub-folders.  I am not seeing the files in the sub-folders in my data view, just the sub-folder names. How do I get the data view to show every file in the library including those in the deeper sub-folders?  
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:10 PM

Answers

• You just need to change the scope of the Data Source.  In the Data Source Details pane, click on the name of the Data Source at the top.  At the bottom of the resulting dialog box, change 'Item and folder scope' to Recursive or RecursiveAll, depending on what you want to see.

Here are the options and what they mean:
    Default -- Show only the files and subfolders of a specific folder. 
    FilesOnly -- Show only the files of a specific folder. 
    Recursive -- Show all files of all folders. 
    RecursiveAll -- Show all files and all subfolders of all folders. 

M. 
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc
    • Marked as answer by clouds61 Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:43 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 2:13 AM

All replies

• You just need to change the scope of the Data Source.  In the Data Source Details pane, click on the name of the Data Source at the top.  At the bottom of the resulting dialog box, change 'Item and folder scope' to Recursive or RecursiveAll, depending on what you want to see.

Here are the options and what they mean:
    Default -- Show only the files and subfolders of a specific folder. 
    FilesOnly -- Show only the files of a specific folder. 
    Recursive -- Show all files of all folders. 
    RecursiveAll -- Show all files and all subfolders of all folders. 

M. 
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc
    • Marked as answer by clouds61 Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:43 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 2:13 AM
  • That did it. Many thanks!
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Whenever I change to recursive or recursive all, I get this error:

"The server returned a non-specific error when trying to get data from the data source. Check the format and content of your query and try again. If the problem persists, contact the server administrator"

I read this thread, 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/48e9e1e0-433f-42e0-a072-1c6eeedbb7c6

but, I am not using any filters. and its a small list (doc library with less than 100 objects)

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Hello Marc,

I am using a Linked Sources and in that i dont see the options you mention here, is there a different way of doing this where i am using a linked source to merge contents of 4 folders and show via a dataview?

Thank you!  

Saving the world, one case at a time

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:31 PM