none
Does MOSS support Irish Language - Gaeilge

Question

• Hi

I am working on a web content management proposal where we want to use MOSS for English and Irish language. I understand the Irish language is called Gaeilge. Based on my information from the net I don't think Irish language is supported by MOSS as there is no language pack for this language.

Can anyone confirm this?

THanks in advance

Ajay

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:14 AM

Answers

• I can tell you that Enterprise Search has Diacritics support for Gaelic, and Microsoft have defined a language/locale code for Irish Gaelic (gd-ie), so it's on the radar. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533052(VS.85).aspx

You're right that there is no appropriate language pack. I guess you checked out the download page at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2447426b-8689-4768-bff0-cbb511599a45&displaylang=en

I'm not aware of any plans for that language pack, and personal opinion I don't think it will happen unless enough businesses contact Microsoft support and state that it's a business need.

I suggest you contact Microsoft Support to request that language pack.

It might be helpful for you to know that you can write your own language resources to be referenced in your publishing pages. So, even without a MOSS Language pack a certain amount of localisation could be undertaken by your developers.

I blogged about creating language resource files here http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint/post/Mutli-lingual-Page-Layout-Text-for-Site-Variations-Part-2---Using-Resource-Files.aspx

Plus I did a minimal amount of digging into the MOSS Language Packs structure here http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint/post/Reflections-on-the-use-of-Language-Pack-Resources.aspx

Hope this is of some help.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:58 PM
  • 1. Well I mentioned the language code just to say that Microsoft has Irish Gaelic on their radar. There are plenty of world languages without a language code, and those sure aren't going to get a MOSS Language pack!

Are you sure there is an Irish Gaelic base version of MOSS for install? I haven't been able to find any evidence of one.

2. I'm only suggesting language resources are used in page layouts, custom forms, custom web parts, web user controls etc. Not for the actual content. Using language resources for the content would defeat the object of site variations! Apologies if my reference to language resources was confusing.

Further points. As you'll see in this link http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/04/27/additional-information-about-wss-3-0-and-moss-2007-language-packs.aspx  what the language pack is giving you is a localised copy of MOSS without the base install being in that language.

You say that you want to publish out content in English and Irish Gaelic. That is achieveable even without a language pack through site variations. However, without the language pack, all the MOSS menus, messages etc will be in English (or whatever the base install language was).

Since this is a publishing site, it may not be necessary for your readership to ever see those MOSS menus etc. You can style your publishing site so that readers never see any of the standard MOSS menus. They will only see your page layouts, master pages, and Gaelic content. Your content authors/approvers/administrators would be stuck with English menus, but your Readers don't have to be. Is that situation likely to be acceptable to your stakeholders?

So, with this in mind do you even need a Gaelic language pack?

If the stakeholders are demanding that the whole site variation (for authors/approvers/administrators) is dual language in Gaelic and English then you are stuck and do need the Gaelic Language pack.

Thats the issue as I understand it. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

btw I just dug out this. If you want current information on language pack releases and what is in the pipeline the microsoft sharepoint blog has that here http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/tags/Language+Packs/default.aspx

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:56 PM
  • 1. It doesn't sound like that's what you need anyway

2. Yes. I think we're in agreement.

Little bit of comment on resource files;

As you probably know already there is an English (Ireland) locale, but no Gaelic (Ireland) locale. So you'll have to be careful about which locale you choose for which variation. I say this because the language resource files need to be named after the locale they apply to.

You could put your English content in the default resource file (resource.resx), and your gaelic in the Irish locale file resource.en-ir.resx or something like that. Whatever works.

NB If you do use misleading locales as mentioned here (misleading because English-Ireland contains Gaelic Ireland content) make sure you customise your VariationRoot.aspx page so that it isn't redirecting users to the wrong site variation based on their browser locale. I would probably customise it to redirect all visitors to a custom navigation page that lets the user specifically choose English or Gaelic when they enter the site. (Once again I'm making assumptions about what your site is doing, so please ignore this advice if necessary! Wink  )

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• I can tell you that Enterprise Search has Diacritics support for Gaelic, and Microsoft have defined a language/locale code for Irish Gaelic (gd-ie), so it's on the radar. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533052(VS.85).aspx

You're right that there is no appropriate language pack. I guess you checked out the download page at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2447426b-8689-4768-bff0-cbb511599a45&displaylang=en

I'm not aware of any plans for that language pack, and personal opinion I don't think it will happen unless enough businesses contact Microsoft support and state that it's a business need.

I suggest you contact Microsoft Support to request that language pack.

It might be helpful for you to know that you can write your own language resources to be referenced in your publishing pages. So, even without a MOSS Language pack a certain amount of localisation could be undertaken by your developers.

I blogged about creating language resource files here http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint/post/Mutli-lingual-Page-Layout-Text-for-Site-Variations-Part-2---Using-Resource-Files.aspx

Plus I did a minimal amount of digging into the MOSS Language Packs structure here http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint/post/Reflections-on-the-use-of-Language-Pack-Resources.aspx

Hope this is of some help.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Hi Jamie -

Thanks for your reply. A few more clarifying questions based on your response.

1. As you mentioned Microsoft has defined a language/locale code for Gaelic, but I belive that is only for the base install. Do you think so too?

2. My understanding is that if I use language resources using resource files/satellite assemblies then I won't be able to use the variations feature that well. My source site will be English and Target will be Gaelic and I do want the ability to automatically create a page on the Target site when a new page gets created on the source site. I don't think I can have that capability if I just use resource files as we did in SPS 2003. What do you think?

Thanks

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:09 PM
  • 1. Well I mentioned the language code just to say that Microsoft has Irish Gaelic on their radar. There are plenty of world languages without a language code, and those sure aren't going to get a MOSS Language pack!

Are you sure there is an Irish Gaelic base version of MOSS for install? I haven't been able to find any evidence of one.

2. I'm only suggesting language resources are used in page layouts, custom forms, custom web parts, web user controls etc. Not for the actual content. Using language resources for the content would defeat the object of site variations! Apologies if my reference to language resources was confusing.

Further points. As you'll see in this link http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/04/27/additional-information-about-wss-3-0-and-moss-2007-language-packs.aspx  what the language pack is giving you is a localised copy of MOSS without the base install being in that language.

You say that you want to publish out content in English and Irish Gaelic. That is achieveable even without a language pack through site variations. However, without the language pack, all the MOSS menus, messages etc will be in English (or whatever the base install language was).

Since this is a publishing site, it may not be necessary for your readership to ever see those MOSS menus etc. You can style your publishing site so that readers never see any of the standard MOSS menus. They will only see your page layouts, master pages, and Gaelic content. Your content authors/approvers/administrators would be stuck with English menus, but your Readers don't have to be. Is that situation likely to be acceptable to your stakeholders?

So, with this in mind do you even need a Gaelic language pack?

If the stakeholders are demanding that the whole site variation (for authors/approvers/administrators) is dual language in Gaelic and English then you are stuck and do need the Gaelic Language pack.

Thats the issue as I understand it. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

btw I just dug out this. If you want current information on language pack releases and what is in the pipeline the microsoft sharepoint blog has that here http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/tags/Language+Packs/default.aspx

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Hi Jamie-

1. I am not sure that an Irish Gaelic base version of MOSS is available. I don't think so it's available.

2. I understand your comment around using language resources for page layouts and othe custom control etc (other than the real content). However, when you say we can publish out content in English and Gaelic without language packs through variations, I think you are suggesting that - create a English source site, create a target site in another language (preferably similar to english) -> publish content on source site -> use variations to move the content to target site. On the target site do the translation.

I guess this would work as the authors of our source site prefer English. Let me know my understanding of the process is different from yours.

Thanks

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:57 PM
  • 1. It doesn't sound like that's what you need anyway

2. Yes. I think we're in agreement.

Little bit of comment on resource files;

As you probably know already there is an English (Ireland) locale, but no Gaelic (Ireland) locale. So you'll have to be careful about which locale you choose for which variation. I say this because the language resource files need to be named after the locale they apply to.

You could put your English content in the default resource file (resource.resx), and your gaelic in the Irish locale file resource.en-ir.resx or something like that. Whatever works.

NB If you do use misleading locales as mentioned here (misleading because English-Ireland contains Gaelic Ireland content) make sure you customise your VariationRoot.aspx page so that it isn't redirecting users to the wrong site variation based on their browser locale. I would probably customise it to redirect all visitors to a custom navigation page that lets the user specifically choose English or Gaelic when they enter the site. (Once again I'm making assumptions about what your site is doing, so please ignore this advice if necessary! Wink  )

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Hey Jamie - You've been a great help!!

Thanks

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I'm really pleased I could help.

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:37 PM