none
Server Standard vs Enterprise - Licensing?

Question

• Good Morning Everyone,

I need clarification on the Server Editions and Licensing.

When buying SharePoint Server, what dictactes the version you get? (Standard or Enterprise)

Are there two different product SKUs? (Standard or Enterprise)

Or is it the User CALS or is there a specific Server CAL?

Regards,

D

D
    Monday, April 04, 2011 5:58 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Everyone,

When buying SharePoint Server, what dictactes the version you get? (Standard or Enterprise)

Regards,

D

D

When buying SharePoint you get booth SERVER keys standard and enterprise, if you install standard you need standard CALs for all your users, if you use enterprise you will need standard for all users, and enterprise for the users how use or have access to enterprise features.

So basicly you have 2 SKU for sharepoint  Standard and Enterprise.

Furthermore you have Internet editions licenses to, different SKU but same key.

So if you have standard CALs you will use SharePoint Standard key.

Ex. 100 users

• Intranet standard:

1 OS Enterprise or standard - no dependencies to your choice of SharePoint edition.

1 SharePoint standard.

100 Std. CALs

If you are granting access to the server via the internet for your users, you would need Internet Connector Licens - OS licens., if not usinge 2008 web server edition.

• Internet/Extranet standard

1 OS Web server edition

1 SharePoint Standard

1 SharePoint Standard for internet/extranet

100 standard CALs

• Intranet Enterprise:

1 OS Enterprise or standard - no dependencies to your choice of SharePoint edition.

1 SharePoint Enterprise.

100 Std. CALs

100 Ent. CALs

• Internet/Extranet enterprise

1 OS Web server edition

1 SharePoint Enterprise

1 SharePoint Enterprise for internet/extranet

100 standard CALs

100 Ent. CALs

External users a covered by SharePoint Internet/Extranet server licens

SharePoint Licensing is a bit tricky, as you also need to look at other licenses.

If using SharePoint enterprise and you need all features, your SQL needs to be enterprise to, and if having external user you would use the pr. cpu licens on SQL.

• Marked as answer by Druidic Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:09 PM
    Monday, April 04, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Licensing is jungle, we have a LARGE licens department, but SharePoint licens questions they always sends to me.

Your clients does not check for standard or enterprise - Microsoft does on audits :)

CALs (Client Access Licens) is not at PID key, but gives you the right to connect to the server you have CAL for, so you have CAL for SHarePoint, OS, Exchange, SQL etc.

So you just needs to have enough CALs for the users or devices, with CALs you have USER and DEVICE CALs, its a questions what gives you mos bang for the buck - http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx

So you should find out if you need standard or enterprise features for your users:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/Pages/Editions-Comparison.aspx

When installing SharePoint use the approriate KEY, remember its MS so its always easy to update than downgrade, so if you install standard, you can always upgrade to enterprise, just supplying enterprise key in Central Administration on the farm, then it will install and activate enterprise features. If you install enterprise and want to downgrade, you have to do it manually, deactivating and/or uninstalling enterprise features.

Regarding enterprise vs SQL standard, you need SQL enterprise for PowerPivot (SharePoint enterprise feature), so if you have SQL standard you will not be abel to use SQK powerpivot.

Furthermore you need Office Pro + to use SharePoint Workspaces formerly known as Grrove, SharePoint workspaces, is included in all parts of SharePoint, but the client need Office Pro +.

Also Office Web Apps, this feature you install on your SharePoint, but you need the Office Pro +.

But again, when i write NEEDS, it means you have to have the licens "on paper", you can use features without CAL licens.

For the OS you dont need a special server edtion, you have 3 editions, 2008 web server, Standard or Enterprise.

Web Server Edtion is cheap, and it includes Internet Connector Licens - UNLIMITED CALs, i recommends this for farms which needs access from internet.

Standard cheap too, no special reasons to choose it.

Enterprise, more expensive but give you some extra features - not SharePoint, you can create branchecache http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=49636F33-5E3B-47EE-9020-8E9A0C9E75CE

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:54 PM

All replies

• Its both. You have to get the relevant server licence, which will enable/disable features supported in that version. And the CALs should help the user perform/use these functions. Though I think CALs are more of paper licence.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:04 PM
  • When under the Volume License Page, the License mentioned doesn't indicate one way or the other if it is Standard or Enterprise. How can one determine this?

The License Summary Page simply lists [ Servers - Office SharePoint Server - 2010 - 1 ]. The quotes/purchase orders we processed don't indicate which version was bought either, they simply state SharePoint VL 2010 Server.

Regards,

D

D

**I would like to add Licensing Support has been clear as mud with determining an answer to this.**

• Edited by Druidic Monday, April 04, 2011 6:10 PM Add info
    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:09 PM
  • I believe all SharePoint 2010 products are per server licensing.

EDIT - For intranet and extranet it is per server licensing. For Internet it seems CALs are required.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/Pages/default.aspx

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi Todd,

Sorry if I am not fully understanding. Does this mean that it needs to be deployed on a licensed version of Windows Server Standard or Enterprise (OS), which dictates the server edition deployed?

Regards,

D

D
    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:16 PM
  • SP2010 Standard does not mean you install it on Win2008 Standard. SP2010 Standard is missing some features present in enterprise, see here for details

I believe you can install all flavors of SharePoint on any windows 2008 64 bit machine

see here for details

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:20 PM
  • I believe all SharePoint 2010 products are per server licensing.

EDIT - For intranet and extranet it is per server licensing. For Internet it seems CALs are required.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/Pages/default.aspx

I believe this is incorrect, it's opposite. Intranet/extranet (under a certain user count) are CAL based. Then internet is per server and costs a lot more to license because it's good for any number of users.
    My CodePlex - My Blog - My Twitter
    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Oops, typed the opposite of what I wanted to...
    Monday, April 04, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I guess the better question at this point is, which Server Edition am I entitled to install? Again, the MVLS site doesn't distiguish in the License Summary which server edition we purchased, it simply states SharePoint 2010 Server.

Regards,

D

D
    Monday, April 04, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Depends entirely on the CAL licensing you specified within your enterprise agreement. If you review that you'll see standard or enterprise. It will also list the SKU next to your product key. The installer for standard and enterprise are identical and which features are installed/activated are determined by the product key.
    My CodePlex - My Blog - My Twitter
    Monday, April 04, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Good Morning Everyone,

Regards,

D

D

When buying SharePoint you get booth SERVER keys standard and enterprise, if you install standard you need standard CALs for all your users, if you use enterprise you will need standard for all users, and enterprise for the users how use or have access to enterprise features.

So basicly you have 2 SKU for sharepoint  Standard and Enterprise.

Furthermore you have Internet editions licenses to, different SKU but same key.

So if you have standard CALs you will use SharePoint Standard key.

Ex. 100 users

• Intranet standard:

1 SharePoint standard.

100 Std. CALs

If you are granting access to the server via the internet for your users, you would need Internet Connector Licens - OS licens., if not usinge 2008 web server edition.

• Internet/Extranet standard

1 OS Web server edition

1 SharePoint Standard

1 SharePoint Standard for internet/extranet

100 standard CALs

• Intranet Enterprise:

1 SharePoint Enterprise.

100 Std. CALs

100 Ent. CALs

• Internet/Extranet enterprise

1 OS Web server edition

1 SharePoint Enterprise

1 SharePoint Enterprise for internet/extranet

100 standard CALs

100 Ent. CALs

External users a covered by SharePoint Internet/Extranet server licens

SharePoint Licensing is a bit tricky, as you also need to look at other licenses.

If using SharePoint enterprise and you need all features, your SQL needs to be enterprise to, and if having external user you would use the pr. cpu licens on SQL.

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Hi Matis,

That is explained very well. Now, with that explaination, how does the client end know when to use a Standard vs Enterprise License? What's the controlling mechanism saying said machine gets Standard License vs Enterprise? Also, you mention SQL Server as being a contributing factor in enabling Enterprise features vs Standard. Our SQL box is 2008 R2 Standard, does this limit our SharePoint Feature set to standard only?

Sorry about all these questions, just need to make sure we aren't breaking licensing as well as determining if we need to go out and buy something more.

Regards,

D

D
    Monday, April 04, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Licensing is jungle, we have a LARGE licens department, but SharePoint licens questions they always sends to me.

Your clients does not check for standard or enterprise - Microsoft does on audits :)

CALs (Client Access Licens) is not at PID key, but gives you the right to connect to the server you have CAL for, so you have CAL for SHarePoint, OS, Exchange, SQL etc.

So you just needs to have enough CALs for the users or devices, with CALs you have USER and DEVICE CALs, its a questions what gives you mos bang for the buck - http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx

So you should find out if you need standard or enterprise features for your users:

When installing SharePoint use the approriate KEY, remember its MS so its always easy to update than downgrade, so if you install standard, you can always upgrade to enterprise, just supplying enterprise key in Central Administration on the farm, then it will install and activate enterprise features. If you install enterprise and want to downgrade, you have to do it manually, deactivating and/or uninstalling enterprise features.

Regarding enterprise vs SQL standard, you need SQL enterprise for PowerPivot (SharePoint enterprise feature), so if you have SQL standard you will not be abel to use SQK powerpivot.

Furthermore you need Office Pro + to use SharePoint Workspaces formerly known as Grrove, SharePoint workspaces, is included in all parts of SharePoint, but the client need Office Pro +.

Also Office Web Apps, this feature you install on your SharePoint, but you need the Office Pro +.

But again, when i write NEEDS, it means you have to have the licens "on paper", you can use features without CAL licens.

For the OS you dont need a special server edtion, you have 3 editions, 2008 web server, Standard or Enterprise.

Web Server Edtion is cheap, and it includes Internet Connector Licens - UNLIMITED CALs, i recommends this for farms which needs access from internet.

Standard cheap too, no special reasons to choose it.

Enterprise, more expensive but give you some extra features - not SharePoint, you can create branchecache http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=49636F33-5E3B-47EE-9020-8E9A0C9E75CE

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:54 PM