none
Collect Data from a User action

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create a simple workflow, whereby a form is submitted for an expense claim and the manager either approves it or rejects it, based on the task that is created. 

I have created the workflow and am using the Collect Data action, but the variable is being returned empty. I have read (and re-read) this article which outlines the steps for 2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/collect-data-from-a-user-in-a-workflow-HA010209808.aspx but it doens't quite fit 2010.

I have stripped the workflow right back and am simply having it email the value of the variable (from the completed task) and it is always empty - it should be either a string of yes or no (based on the form field of information type choice).

The Set statement does not follow the above article, which says the field to pull from the list should be Tasks:ID, however this does not exist - the only two options for task are task group and task type.

I ended up configuring it the following way, however the variable: Accept Decision on Claim is always empty

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Matt

• Edited by Hayball Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:24 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:18 AM

All replies

• When using Collect Data From User, there are two things to remember:

1) The Collect Data From User creates a custom task content type and stores the responses from the user as fields in a task. The only data returned from this action is the ID for the task in that task list. You will use this ID to find the task in the next step.

2) You then need to retrieve the task field data by using a lookup where you specify the task list, the column holding your question result, the ID column for the task list, and the variable collected from the "Collect Data" activity.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:12 PM
  •  

2) You then need to retrieve the task field data by using a lookup where you specify the task list, the column holding your question result, the ID column for the task list, and the variable collected from the "Collect Data" activity.

Thanks for your reply Mike. Part 2, retrieving the task field data by using a lookup is the issue. In the example you gave (same article I referred to when creating the workflow), when I go to choose the field, Tasks:ID is not available, only Task Group and Task Type (see image 1 in first post) - this is where the error is occurring. All other fields and choices match the example article, except for Tasks:ID.
    Has 2010 Sharepoint Designer replaced this with another option?

Regards
    Matt

• Edited by Hayball Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:58 PM edit
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:58 PM
  • That sounds quite strange as every list has an ID field.

> when I go to choose the field, Tasks:ID is not available, only Task Group and Task Type

In your screen capture, in the "Find the List Item" section I see Approval, so there must be more fields than Task Group and Task Type. The "Find the List Item"/"Field" is where you would select "ID".

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

I can choose just ID for the field, but not Tasks:ID. If I do this and then set the Value field as follows, I have only integer and ID as the variable type - both of these return an empty value. I know the list ID lookup is working correctly, as the value of the first variable (request for claim approval) is returned as a list ID number - 33 for example.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:14 AM
  • I've ran into the same exact issue as Matt. Task:ID is not an option when using Sharepoint Designer 2010. Did you figure out what the alternative was?

-Dustin

Dustin Frost

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:20 AM
  • Hi Dustin,

I was never able to get this to work as I hoped. Used a modified workflow that did not use the Task:ID parameter.

Cheers
    Matt
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Matt -- thank you for the timely response. I was afraid you were going to tell me that.  I spent an entire day trying to get that working and all possible work arounds attempted with no glory LOL!  I'm going to reach out to some of my other Sharepoint developers and see if they have any ideas. If they / we get it working I will be sure to post it up here.  I'm not holding my breath, but it seems logical to be-able to store data like the tutorial suggests.  Anyway, I'll keep checking back on this thread. 

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Frost

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Dustin,

Any luck with finding a solution?  I have this very same situation with SharePoint Designer 2010 - there is no "Task:ID" listed.

Thanks,

Keith

Monday, December 31, 2012 4:25 PM