none
SharePoint Server 2010 setup keep asking for reboot.

Question

• Hi All,

I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 data center (x64).  And then with Office 2010 (x64), Visio 2010, SharePoint Designer 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2 Nov CTP (x64). 
    After I completed the "Install software prerequisites" option in the splash screen of SharePoint Server 2010 (x64) setup, setup errors keep pop up.  It shows messages as follow.
    ----------------------------------
    Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):
    A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending. Restart your computer and run setup to continue.

For the list of pre-requisites needed to install the product please refer to:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=106209

Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I tried serveral time from reboot, it still has same error.  I tried to install each pre-requisites one by one successfully but it does not solve the problem. 

Any ideas and hints?  Thanks.

Stanley Qian
    Monday, December 07, 2009 8:55 AM

Answers

• I would recommending checking the following Registry key values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile - if the value of the UpdateExeVolatile registry key is anything other than 0 you will see this message.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations - if the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key has any value you will see this message.

See additional information below:

To remove an orphaned UpdateExeVolatile registry key value
    1. Open a registry editor, such as Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe.

2. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\

3. In the right navigation pane, double-click the UpdateExeVolatile key.

4. Configure the key with a value of 0

5. Close Registry Editor.

To delete the orphaned PendingFileRenameOperations registry key

2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

3. In the right navigation pane, right-click the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.

4. Close Registry Editor.

Bill Baer, Technical Product Manager - US-SharePoint http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer
    • Marked as answer by Bozhi Qian Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Stanley,

The issue you describe is not likely a SharePoint problem. It is related to the installer on your machine - you may need to find out why a reboot was scheduled by an installer.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• Why don't you hold back on installing the stuff that shouldn't really be on the server (Office; SPD 2010) until later and install in the usual order of OS; SQL Server; SP 2010 ?
    FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  I did installed in the same my order in another virtual machine successfully. Only difference is that VM has not been instlled with SQL Server 2008 before SharePoint Server 2010 setup.  In that case, SharePoint Server 2010 installed SQL Server 2008 Express automatically. 
    However this time I installed in a real machine but no luck. 

I found SQL Server 2008 R2 has "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client" installed.  Not sure SharePoint pre-requisites check with which version of Native Client. 

Please help.  Thanks.
    Stanley Qian
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Stanley,

The issue you describe is not likely a SharePoint problem. It is related to the installer on your machine - you may need to find out why a reboot was scheduled by an installer.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I had a simillar issue with SQL Server 2008 R2...not sure if it will solve your problem.  Check out this thread for more info:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/7e148a34-a7ae-49cc-b6c5-58520bdf2a83/

Thanks,
    Prashanth
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:14 PM
  • I would recommending checking the following Registry key values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile - if the value of the UpdateExeVolatile registry key is anything other than 0 you will see this message.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations - if the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key has any value you will see this message.

See additional information below:

To remove an orphaned UpdateExeVolatile registry key value

2. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\

3. In the right navigation pane, double-click the UpdateExeVolatile key.

4. Configure the key with a value of 0

5. Close Registry Editor.

To delete the orphaned PendingFileRenameOperations registry key

2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

3. In the right navigation pane, right-click the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.

4. Close Registry Editor.

Bill Baer, Technical Product Manager - US-SharePoint http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I would suggest the following - I have had similar problems in the past - crazy but reboots and update checks have helped

2008 R2 data center (x64). reboot check for updates

SQL Server 2008 R2 Nov CTP (x64).   reboot check for updates

And then with Office 2010 (x64), reboot check for updates

SharePoint Designer 2010, reboot check for updates

Visio

Steve GW

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Thanks Li, I will try to resolve this at weekend.
    Stanley Qian
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Thanks Prashanth,  I did delete all value in the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations" but it was not helpful as installing SQL Server 2008.

Stanley Qian
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Thanks Bill,  I will try it at this weekend and will let you know here.

Stanley Qian
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Thanks Steve,  I will try it at this weekend and will let you know here.

Stanley Qian
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Finally I found "Logitech Vid" keep adding value into "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations" after reboot even though I clean them all with regedit.   So I upinstalled "Logitech Vid" then everything is fine. 

Thank you guys for your help. 
    Stanley Qian
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:36 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  Clean install of Windows 2008 R2 and then I try to install Share Point 2010.  It gets a ways into the install and then bam I get a screen showing the stuff that intalled and and didn't and it says that it needs to reboot to continue.  Reboot and the install starts from the beginning and on and on and on.

I did not find the first key mentioned in the solution.

I did find the second but it was under keys to not restore.  There were no pending reboots in the key path for me.

To be clear this is when I was trying to install the pre-requisites.  It also appears to happen when it is trying to setup a role for IIS.  The management window pops up while it is doing this and then it fails or appears  to and wants to reboot.

Thanks,

Alan

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I am having the same issue on a clean install of 2008 R2 with the pre-req checker constantly running and rebooting and then running again.  It is a clean install so I am not sure what the problem coould be......

Ron Finnegan DHHS NIH NIMH LNT

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:40 PM
  • I am having exactly the same issue and have done the same things Alan Hill has.  This is driving me crazy.  Has anyone resolved this?
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I had the same problem a while back and finally determined it to be limited disk space on the boot drive.  I was running this install on a VM and there was not enough disk space for the updates to complete.  Are you trying this install on a small ( < 60 gb ) boot drive?  If so, try it on a 75 gb disk.

Ron Finnegan DHHS NIH NIMH LNT

Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:18 PM