none
Client side requirement for "Drag and drop” option for upload multiple documents.

Question

• We have SharePoint 2010 foundation. In a document library when a user clicks on Upload multiple documents we get a screen with two options :

1. Drag files and folders here.

2. Browse for files instead.

Now the behavior is different on different machines.

What is the client side requirement for getting the:

1. Upload multiple document option

2. “Drag and drop” option for upload multiple documents.

Prachi
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Prachi,

The version that stsupld.dll used as activex depends on the last office product installed on the client machine, so inorder to have drag and drop vesion you need to install or repair  any one 2010 office product ,  if you dont have office 2010 licensed product i would suggest work around would be installing sharepoint deisgner 2010 which is free on the client machine

A brief answer is inorder to get drag and drop multi upload the requirement is that the latest installed office product  on the client machine should be from office 14(2010)

kranthi kk
    • Proposed as answer by kranthi kk Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Prachi taunk Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• Appearantly this is controlled by the version of Office installed.  Office 2010 gets you the drag and drop while Office 2007 gets you the check box tree view dialog.  That is all acording to this post.  http://blog.sharepointsite.co.uk/2010/12/uploading-multiple-files-in-document.html

I don't have office 2010 and can't confirm.  I may try from home tonight where I have 2010.  I might try dropping in the 2010 .dll on my 2007 box and see what happens.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Ted,

Thanks for the reply.

I have read the post you mentioned.

The problem is that I have STSUPLD.DLL in my local machine.

Office 2007 12.0.4518.1014 222kb
    Office 2010 14.0.4761.1000 70kb

I have below office product installed :

Microsoft office 2010 Tools, Microsoft office Tools and microsoft office 2007 (access, Excel, Groove, Infopath etc..)

But, I am unable to get the "Drag and drop” option for upload multiple documents from my local machine.

Do we need to install office 2010? Is there a workaround instead of installing Office 2010 ?

Prachi
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:22 PM
  • This "Drag and Drop" functionality is using an Activex control called UploadCtl which comes with STSUPLD.dll. This gets installed in client computers when you install Office 2010 in client PCs. This library lives at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\

As it is an Activex control you might not get this option enabled in the ribbon when you use non-Microsoft browsers.

Ref:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms456628.aspx

Aravind http://aravindrises.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Hi Aravind,

Thanks for the Reply.

As I mentioned earlier, the assembly STSUPLD.dll is present in my local machine.

I am using IE 7. And I have activex enbaled on IE.

Prachi
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi Prachi,

The version that stsupld.dll used as activex depends on the last office product installed on the client machine, so inorder to have drag and drop vesion you need to install or repair  any one 2010 office product ,  if you dont have office 2010 licensed product i would suggest work around would be installing sharepoint deisgner 2010 which is free on the client machine

A brief answer is inorder to get drag and drop multi upload the requirement is that the latest installed office product  on the client machine should be from office 14(2010)

kranthi kk
    • Proposed as answer by kranthi kk Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Prachi taunk Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:46 PM
  • got any ideas how to replace the existing 12 version of the .dll with the 14 version.  Office 2010 is still months away and I don't need the functionality, I have SP Destructor, but the rest of the enterprise would embrace libraries much more if they could drag and drop.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Thanks kranthi.

Is there any documentation available from microsoft suggesting the same.

Prachi
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Every thread I have read on this seems to be on the wrong track, even the one from a SharePoint 2010 MCM. All the "experts" are claiming the client side is where the problem is. NO IT ISN'T!

I have a Win 7 machine with Office 2010 installed and a SP2010 VM. The "Browse for files instead" link works fine. I VPN into a client SP 2010 server and the "Browse for files instead" link is NOT there. It can't be a client issue when it works locally, or if it is what is the difference?!? The DLL and Active X has to be there or it wouldn't work... at all.

This has to be a server side issue.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:15 AM
  • This discrepancy can occur if your local sharepoint site and other moss site are in different zones and you have different security policies applied for activeX controls on them... I can see the question is naswered anyway but just noting the issue can still occur on client side despite all above been said.

Regards,

Vaso

Sunday, July 01, 2012 11:34 PM