none
Error: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist.

Question

• I'm getting the following error when trying to execute SPListItem.Update()

I've been able to update just fine previously and have no idea if I did something to break SharePoint :) And it happens on two different lists. I does not happen when adding and editing items using the SharePoint UI.

This is the error...

Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED)) 

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))

Stack Trace: 

[COMException (0x80030102): Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))]

Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.SetDisableAfterEvents(Boolean bNewDisableAfterEvents) +0

Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetDisableAfterEvents(Boolean bNewDisableAfterEvents) +124

[SPException: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))]

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) +27257874

Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetDisableAfterEvents(Boolean bNewDisableAfterEvents) +207

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.AddOrUpdateItem(Boolean bAdd, Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Int32& ulID, Object& objAttachmentNames, Object& objAttachmentContents, Boolean suppressAfterEvents, String filename) +26391212

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.UpdateInternal(Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean suppressAfterEvents, String filename) +26390734

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.Update() +161

Any ideas? :)

I have tried restarting the server, but no luck..

EDIT: It seems to relate to how the Content Types are set up in the List definition. I'll get back to you on that.

--
    Christian

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:20 AM

Answers

• About the item that seased to exsist.

In my case  (I think at least  in the most of the above cases are somehow related) it is a coding issue. I made a mistake in cleaning up my code. Took me a while to find out what I was doing wrong.

using (SPSite site = SPContext.Current.Site)

{

---

}

I coded this way to avoid memory leaks which are easily created working with some Sharepoint objects. In my code, I refference my personal object 'site' to the current site object provided by the Sharepoint. But this current site object lives in memory as a SPSite object that Sharepoint wants to keep using. The syntax in my code means that I  kill my object right after the curly break. But because it is not a new object but a 'relation' to Sharepoint's SPContext.Current.Site which is in memory I actualy kill Sharepoints SPContext.Current.Site. If on a later moment I want add for example a webpart  Sharepoint wants to use this in memory object which unfortunatly has seased to exsist because I Killed it.

The exception message in one of the above posts reports that some needed objects are not there anymore. (Samrein, Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:45 AM)

My story will maybe not solve your problem in a direct way. But I hope it will help you to find the cause.

For example did you use a third party or custom made view/webpart/user control that by accident kills objects in Sharepoint? Is there maybe a bug in some Sharepoint control? Is there another killer? Maybe a Sharepoint 2007 control in Sharepoint 2010?

I hope I don't confuse you. Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by ShrutiM Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet BruggemanMVP Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• Christian,

I had the same message when trying to create a view of a discussion thread and was not sure why I got the error but I have noticed that if I created the view without making it a "top level view" I was ok. 

The trick I found to get back to the point of which I was in was to login as a second user who had the same rights as me and discard any changes to the website so that it would revert back to the page that it was suppose to view.  That is if you checked out the page so that other users could not make any changes until I was through.  Since It blew up in my face I could not get back to the site to fix it under my name.  I exited out of the browser and logged in as the other administrator and was able to view the site that was not updated  then I was able to use the drop down list to discard changes and check it out under the admins name and then check it back in.  This is only if you have approval turned on but I don't.

The other way is to open up sharepoint designer which I have installed it on my pc and then open up the site go to the page that has the problem and remove it but that means you loose all changes for that page.  In my case I always create a blank page add the webpart to test the new list I am creating so that if it bombs out there its no problem for me to delete it from the designer and not bother someone else to login and do the fix above.

Hope this helps

Error

Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: 723e8611-f63b-42d8-902c-5c1155d2837b

Date and Time: 6/17/2010 10:54:18 AM

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:20 PM
  • In case anyone gets this issue after an upgrade to 2010: I got it on my site home-page and thought it was related to some orphaned object errors I had in the upgrade log, but this wasn't the case.

I opened the Page in Web Part Maintenance Mode (?contents=1) and closed an XsltListViewWebPart that was causing the problem. This fixed the issue.

-----

I also get this error now on an upgraded site, when I try to create a Top-Level (flat or threaded) view on Discussion Board. Haven't worked out how to fix it yet.

• Edited by Peter_D503 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:38 AM Discussion Board issue
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Closing the XsltListViewWebPart on the page isn't going to work for us. It's the only web part on the page. Here's how we got to this predicament...

We built a list view in SP2007. It displays many columns from the list. It sorts by ColumnC (a single line of text field) in ascending order. ColumnC is indexed. Two filters on ColumnC are defined: when ColumnC is greater than or equal to 'A', and when ColumnC is less than 'C' (this has the affect of giving us all results where ColumnC is alphabetically between A and C). Grouping is defined: group by ColumnC in ascending order; by default, show groupings collapsed; and, number of groups to display is 100.

We have since upgraded the farm to SP2010 (fortunately, only in testing). Now, whenever we try to view the list with our view, we get the error. With debugging enabled, it looks like this:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80030102): Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))]
     Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +0
     Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +134

[SPException: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))]
     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) +27257906
     Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +27641699
     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentTypeCollection.FetchCollection(IList`1 exceptions) +391
     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.get_ContentTypes() +51
     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPCustomActionElement.QueryForToolbarButtons(SPWeb web, SPList list, SPListItem item, PAGETYPE pgtype) +1854
     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPCustomActionElement.AddCustomToolbarButtons(SPWeb web, SPList list, SPListItem item, SPContext renderContext, PAGETYPE pgtype, ToolBar toolbarControl, WebPart webPart, Page page) +102
     Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ViewToolBar.CreateChildControls() +258
     System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +146
     Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.TemplateBasedControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +62
     System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
     System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +350
     Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.CreateChildControls() +1527
     Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.BaseXsltListWebPart.CreateChildControls() +2189
     Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartMobileAdapter.CreateChildControls() +72
     System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +132
     System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +61
     System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +224
     System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3394

With debugging disabled, you simply get the message, "Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED)) ".

Anyone know why the upgrade isn't converting these views properly? Or, how we can fix them en-mass post-upgrade?

• Edited by PaulE Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:59 PM put border around error message
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Follow-up... Looking like this is a problem with the Group By functionality in views. After removing the Group By from the view, it works just fine. After reading http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/9c515220-b2fd-4e35-a194-4f04c4be8371, I checked the code for the view's ASPX with Designer 2010 and find that the upgrade appears to have handled the conversion just fine. However, even Designer has problems when the Group By is present (saving gives the message "The server could not complete your request..." with details of a "soap:ServerException" and 0x80020009).

Will try my upgrade again with the August CU applied.

• Proposed as answer by hhh2009 Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:34 AM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:05 PM
  • I'm still getting this error with an upgraded Discussion Board - no changes seem to help (e.g. no Group By, no Sort etc).

I'm currently in the process of writing something to migrate the data from the old discussion board to the new one. Might see if it's possible to recreate the views.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Hmmm, even with SP2010 August CU applied before performing the upgrade, I'm still getting the error problems. As before, removing the Group By fixes the view. Even creating a new view doesn't resolve the issue.

... Ah hah! Here's a solid lead on the problem: I can reproduce the problem in a working view by changing the resource throttling on the web application such that the list view threshold is less than the number of items in the list. In other words, it is highly likely that the list view threshold is the culprit behind the error being thrown. Increase the list view threshold (and perform an iisreset to make it effective) and a view that was previously failing now works!

There appears to be a failure somewhere in the SharePoint code that isn't being handled gracefully.

Unfortunately, disabling throttling on the list (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2010/04/23/temporarily-disabling-list-view-threshold-on-a-large-list.aspx) doesn't even solve the problem.

• Proposed as answer by Peter_D503 Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:32 AM
    • Edited by PaulE Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:50 PM Added sentence about disabling list throttling
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Nice find PaulE - the discussion board I have definitely is over the default 5000 items limit. Unfortunately we've already boosted the throttling value to 15,000 just to get things working. I tried a ridiculously higer value (e.g. 150,000), did an IISRESET, but it didn't seem to help: there just seems to be certain views which are broken (others work fine).

If I create a new view with the Group By that failed on the old broken view it works. (Removing Group By on the brobken view didn't fix the problem).

So there's possibly an issue with Lists that:

• Are upgraded from SharePoint 2007
    • Are large > 5000 items
    • Contain Group By views

And the possible fixes are:

• Remove Group By first on view and retest
    • Increase your resource throttling for the Web Application and retest
    • Recreate the broken view

• Proposed as answer by Peter_D503 Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:32 AM
  • The mystery continues. It appears we are only having this problem in one of our site collections. That particular site collection resides in its own content database (due to potential growth factors; it's currently only ~28GB). This problem site collection was moved into the new content database with SP2007 SP2 w/ Dec 2009 CU using the stsadm command 'mergecontentdbs'. Now, the first time I used this command (pre-SP2), I found a nasty little bug which has since been patched. I'm starting to wonder if anyone else having this Group By problem may have also moved their site collection with 'mergecontentdbs'?

I've also begun to notice that--after I set the Resource Throttling value higher than the size of the list--the first time I view the list using the faulty view, it sometimes doesn't work. Hit the browser's back button and try the view again and it works the second time.

Any sharp MVPs, MCMs, or (cross my fingers!) anyone from Microsoft out there looking at this issue? I'd open a Support Case, but the last time I did that (and it was 'Premier' level) it took a great deal of my time explaining our issue and numerous escalations before I got someone who could take some solid stabs at the problem. From their poking around, I ended up coming up with a solution, myself. I'm rather hesitant to go through that again.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:32 PM
  • We have this problem on a brand new SP2010 Server farm, without any upgraded 2007 sites. It happens when you try to create a threded discussion board when selecting "folders" - "show in this view" - "in the top level folder" or "all" to create a new threaded list view in addition to the discussion view. So it is not restricted to upgraded discussion boards or the amount of data, or even any grouping setting.

The bug is in the new view such as test1.aspx, as browsing to the ootb allitems.aspx view works fine. If you make the failing view the default view of the list, it will appear as the list is broken when browsing.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Error

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

Date and Time: 12/7/2010 9:55:44 AM

And in the Logs:

12/07/2010 09:55:44.20  w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        837l Exception An unhandled exception occured. Watson will be invoked. 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.20  w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          Unified Logging Service        c91s Monitorable Watson bucket parameters: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 4, ULSException14, 269cd32d "sharepoint foundation", 0e00129b "14.0.4763.0", b9f3fc08 "owssvr.dll", 0e00129a "14.0.4762.0", 4bad91e1 "sat mar 27 05:04:33 2010", MISSING, 001f59e5 "001f59e5", c0000005 "c0000005", 3833376c "837l" 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.20  w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C Web Content Management         Site Management                622h Unexpected SMReportsData GetQueryResults - Query Execution threw SPException: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION)) 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21  w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          Runtime                        tkau Unexpected System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.RenderFormDigest(String bstrUrl, ISPDataCallback pFormCallback)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.RenderFormDigest(String bstrUrl, ISPDataCallback pFormCallback) 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21  w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        90hv Unexpected Detected use of SPRequest for previously closed SPWeb object.  Please close SPWeb objects when you are done with all objects obtained from them, but not before.  Stack trace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPRegionalSettings.get_GlobalInstalledLanguages()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.ThemingLocations.GetThemableStylesFolders(SPSite site, Boolean includeFileSystem)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.CssRegistrationRecord.UpdateThemableReferences(SPSite site, IEnumerable`1 references)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.CssLink.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlHead.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContaine... 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21* w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        90hv Unexpected ...rControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpC... 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21* w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        90hv Unexpected ...ontext context)     at ASP._layouts_error_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)     at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.ExecuteInternal(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage, VirtualPath path, VirtualPath filePath, String physPath, Exception error, String queryStringOverride)     at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Execute(String path, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm)     at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Transfer(String path, Boolean preserveForm)     at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Transfer(String path)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.TransferToErrorPage(String message, String linkText, String linkUrl)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.ErrorHandler(HttpApplication app, Boolean errorIsOnErrorPag... 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21* w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        90hv Unexpected ...e)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.ErrorAppHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea)     at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb)     at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestCon... 316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

12/07/2010 09:55:44.21* w3wp.exe (0x14A4)                        0x1A5C SharePoint Foundation          General                        90hv Unexpected ...text, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr managedHttpContext, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)   316dcc2b-4e3e-4235-8201-5af40e8a2aa8

This occurs when going to the sitemanager page (View all site content and structure), and then changing the view to 'My Tasks'.

Ash

Fast, Cheap, Good. Choose any Two!
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I have this problem too, on group by views. This is very annoying. Anyone found a solution ? :S

David

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:49 PM
  • I fixed the issue by increasing the resource throttling threshold for the site.  After that it worked fine.

Central Admin -> Manage Web Applications -> Sharepoint Site -> General Settings -> Resource Throttling

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I'm having the same problem - newly migrated system from SP 2007, using a v3 master page.  The discussion board is new with only one entry in it, so the problem is not resource throttling.

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Someone found the Solution?

Have the same Problem after:

- Upgrading from SharePoint 2007
    - List > 200'000 Items
    - Grouping

Stack Trace:

Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +0
      Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +134

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) +27637106
      Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListContentTypes(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, ISPDataCallback pXMLCallback) +28037475
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentTypeCollection.FetchCollection(IList`1 exceptions) +391
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.get_ContentTypes() +51
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPCustomActionElement.QueryForToolbarButtons(SPWeb web, SPList list, SPListItem item, PAGETYPE pgtype) +1854
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPCustomActionElement.AddCustomToolbarButtons(SPWeb web, SPList list, SPListItem item, SPContext renderContext, PAGETYPE pgtype, ToolBar toolbarControl, WebPart webPart, Page page) +102
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ViewToolBar.CreateChildControls() +258
      System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +146
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.TemplateBasedControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +62
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
      System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +350
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.CreateChildControls() +1527
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.BaseXsltListWebPart.CreateChildControls() +2189
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartMobileAdapter.CreateChildControls() +72
      System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +132
      System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +61
      System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3394

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:45 AM
  • You can try re-creating the grouping with a new view first and see if that works.

If not, you can set "EnableThrottling" to False on the list: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.splist.enablethrottling.aspx. I've done this with both PowerShell and SharePoint Manager (SPM) before.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:05 PM
  • I have this error too on the "My Tasks" report under "Manage Content and Structure" (same as AsherNotts). I found out that when I remove the <OrderBy> clause from the underlying CAML Query the report works fine.

I'm going to investigate this further but sorting and grouping is messing things up somehow it seems...

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I am running into the same problem. Any luck on your investigation? Thank you.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue and thought this thread may have the answer but it appears there may be two issues going on. One due to grouping filtering and resource throttling and the other which relates to the "Top-Level" setting on the view. I found this link that seems to indicate that's a known issue and it's not supported.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2575303

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:36 PM
  • About the item that seased to exsist.

In my case  (I think at least  in the most of the above cases are somehow related) it is a coding issue. I made a mistake in cleaning up my code. Took me a while to find out what I was doing wrong.

using (SPSite site = SPContext.Current.Site)

{

---

}

I coded this way to avoid memory leaks which are easily created working with some Sharepoint objects. In my code, I refference my personal object 'site' to the current site object provided by the Sharepoint. But this current site object lives in memory as a SPSite object that Sharepoint wants to keep using. The syntax in my code means that I  kill my object right after the curly break. But because it is not a new object but a 'relation' to Sharepoint's SPContext.Current.Site which is in memory I actualy kill Sharepoints SPContext.Current.Site. If on a later moment I want add for example a webpart  Sharepoint wants to use this in memory object which unfortunatly has seased to exsist because I Killed it.

The exception message in one of the above posts reports that some needed objects are not there anymore. (Samrein, Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:45 AM)

My story will maybe not solve your problem in a direct way. But I hope it will help you to find the cause.

For example did you use a third party or custom made view/webpart/user control that by accident kills objects in Sharepoint? Is there maybe a bug in some Sharepoint control? Is there another killer? Maybe a Sharepoint 2007 control in Sharepoint 2010?

I hope I don't confuse you. Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by ShrutiM Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet BruggemanMVP Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Perfect explanation,

hence if you have more then 1 webpart in same page, always instantiate object in below format

using (SPSite objArticleSite = new SPSite (SPContext.Current.Site.Url))

{

using (SPWeb objArticleWeb = objArticleSite.OpenWeb())

{

}

}

Thanks Paul, it solved same error for me.

• Edited by ShrutiM Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I had the same issue with SPContext.Current.Site inside a using statement.
    This was also the cause of a 90hv error I was seeing in the developer dashboard.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Have you tried to reset the web part by adding ?context=1

then selecting the offending webpart and clicking reset.

You might lose your views and have to recreate them.

Hopefully this works for you.  Chilly

pfcjt@hotmail.com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi Paul,

i am also facing the same issue,

I am uploading the 8000 items through bulk upload process by forming the XML and also I am setting item level permission to the items,

only the views which has group by give the problem. 

i checked my uploading code. i am not using like above said code. everywhere I initiate new site object and do my operations..

not getting why the problem is occurring.. I tried to keep 4999 items. then also it is giving same error

I am using SharePoint 2010 with threshold set 5000

any help from you side will be appreciated 

thanks

Guru

Guruprasad Marathe

Friday, July 05, 2013 7:21 AM
  • This worked for us. We have several XlstListViewWebParts on our start page. Applied the above to the most recent added XlstListViewWebParts AllItemes.aspx view, and voila ...

Thanks for the link PaulE.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:58 AM