none
People picker messing up tab index

Question

• I have a 125 field infopath 2010 form that i have tab indexes setup all through the form to make it easier for data entry. The problem i'm running into is that the first people picker set does not follow the tab indexes. For some reason it goes to the check names and browse buttons then goes down to my next people picker (which is fine here) does it again, then skips the next 70 fields to go to the next people picker which is actually in a hidden "section" that does not display on this view. After it clears that people picker it sends the tab cursor up to the back and forward buttons on my browser, thru the address bar, search all my favorites then goes BACK to the form where it SHOULD have gone to my tab index 4 instead of back to the top and proceeds down my form like it SHOULD have done all along.

What am i doing wrong here??

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you keep the tabindexes to 0 the focus will propogate based on position on the form. However, when using numbers (1,2,3,4,5), the first tab focus is actually the control set to 1 and not 0. I would check to make sure you do not have any zero entries if you are using positive integers for the other controls. Having zeros comingled with these could cause the sporadic results you are seeing.

-=Steve

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:25 PM
  • If you keep the tabindexes to 0 the focus will propogate based on position on the form. However, when using numbers (1,2,3,4,5), the first tab focus is actually the control set to 1 and not 0. I would check to make sure you do not have any zero entries if you are using positive integers for the other controls. Having zeros comingled with these could cause the sporadic results you are seeing.

-=Steve

i have it laid out with the first field is zero the rest are numbered based on their section. section two is labeled as two hundred one and more... section three is three hundred, etc. there are no zeros except the field i intended on being the first field.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Change that zero to 1 and see what happens..
    • Marked as answer by GokouZWAR Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I finally got around to trying this and it seems to have worked. The problem now is that it skips over all the people picker boxes instead of going to them. It'll go down the form entirely, go thru the quick launch navigation then and only then, after it's gone through everything else on the page will it go to the people picker boxes skipping over the entire form fields. I've double and triple checked the tab index for the people pickers and they're in line with the rest of the form. There are no "0" tab indexes now either which did fix my original problem but created this one...:\
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:50 PM
  • MVP Clayton Cobb says it’s a common issue without a known workaround,  due to the data calls and postbacks.  See his answer  here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/71cbf434-58b3-4f40-a405-eead608fb142.

--Karin

Karin Meier
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:04 AM
  • I am having a problem with a people picker stopping at the check mark and the directory. Since they are inherent to the control, how do you make the cursor bypass them?

Thanks,

Sara

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:30 PM
  • I did a test with SharePoint and it does the same so I guess its meant to be by default. Users don't particularily like it.

sara

Sara Tenenbaum

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:57 PM