none
Estimating Web analytics database sizes Sp2010 new install

Question

• Hi

Does anyone know, if we know the number of expected users, number of documents and general usage of a SP2010 system, how I could estimate the sizes of the 2 web analytics databases please? I'm trying to get a very rough idea of SQL db sizing and this part of the process has me stumped. I have spent a lot of time reading all the MS whitepapers and they are good for size estimation except for these 2 databases.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SG 

• Changed type sqlguy7777 Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:42 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:41 AM

All replies

• So, you have already read the WebAnalyticsCapacityPlanningDoc.docx downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fd1eac86-ad47-4865-9378-80040d08ac55&displaylang=en .

Generally, I think the size of web analytics databases depends on the load of the SharePoint farm and the number of months you want to keep the data.

You can specify data retention in Central Administration ->Application Management->Manage Services Applications ->Web Analytics Service Application->Properties. I can choose to keep data from 1 months to 25 months.

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:13 AM
  • So, you have already read the WebAnalyticsCapacityPlanningDoc.docx downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fd1eac86-ad47-4865-9378-80040d08ac55&displaylang=en .

Generally, I think the size of web analytics databases depends on the load of the SharePoint farm and the number of months you want to keep the data.

You can specify data retention in Central Administration ->Application Management->Manage Services Applications ->Web Analytics Service Application->Properties. I can choose to keep data from 1 months to 25 months.

Hi Gu,

I *did* get some reposonses from MS Consulting Services ( in a very round about way ).

Bottom line - set both Web Analytics databases sizings at 100 GB each. This is what the MS consultants are doing according to information I have seen.

I also managed to get our ( the SP2010 community ) concerns passed along to MS along with a message to flesh out this Web Analytics info asap.

FWIW - our base install for Farm SQL databases is 500 GB, with a small 5000 user base and a system thats not expected to be worked that hard.

We expect the database sizings to grow 20% per year, so 1 TB is not impossible within 3 years.

For larger systems, disk spacings would logically be higher as the content & search DBs would be much larger.

Aussies & Kiwis rock!!

Cheers,

Steve.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:36 PM