none
Item level recovery with DPM 2010 - different farm version

Question

• Hi all,

We recently set up a SharePoint 2010 farm in our production environment (migrated from WSS 3.0 with no big issues, woo!) and have protected it with DPM 2010 taking note of the extra items to protect shown in this excellent blog:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/10/how-to-be-sure-that-your-sharepoint-farm-is-fully-protected.aspx

One point was raised regarding some information that had been read somewhere.

Are there any issues with performing item-level recovery from DPM straight to a SharePoint farm (with no recovery farm) when the backed up content was backed up from a previous farm version? i.e. before a service pack or cumulative update was installed.

I haven't found any evidence of this, however, I did come across a forum post that mentioned it (should've kept the link!) but wasn't certain.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• DPM works like a charm unless you have huge loads of data where it can be a bit slow, but in most cases works wihtout any problems.

What is the amount of dtaa in the web application? Is it huge greater than 100 GB?

Varun Malhotra
    =================
    If my post solves your problem could you mark the post as Answered or Vote As Helpful if my post has been helpful for you.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:18 AM
  • No, it's only 30GB or so. I'm just concerned because I was told if the farm versions were different between the live farm and the backed up content DPM required a recovery farm to successfully recover the content.

Is this incorrect?

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Here; this blog post says a recovery farm is still needed to recover items backed up on an older farm version (i.e. prior to a SP or a cumulative update).

Unattached database item level recoveries with no recovery farm extract the content as is without performing an upgrade.

Recoveries performed with a recovery farm attach the database and thus upgrade it to the recovery farm level (which should be the same as production) so the content is guaranteed to be at the same farm level.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=118

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:24 AM
  •  

Hi,

According to my analysis, it is necessary to use a SharePoint recovery farm to recover certain types of SharePoint items, such as those from versions of SharePoint 2010 that have different service packs applied. A SharePoint recovery farm must have the following properties:

• Identical updates and software versions.
    • ….

For more information about recovery farm’s properties, see

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2010/12/04/why-dpm-2010-and-sharepoint-are-better-together.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification. Time to make a recovery farm then!
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 12:13 AM