none
Unable to display this Web Part. Error while displaying External list in sharepoint website

Question

• I tried to create an external content type for a website and I got an error....here are the details of the steps I followed:

1. I created an team site in sharepoint server 2010.Nothing I added extra to the site.

2. Then I opened that site in sharepoint designer and created a new external data type.

this is an SQL server. I have a small database in my server, I added that as an external data type to this site.

3. I am able to add the database to my site.

4. Then I created an External List of type contact list as my database has article ID, author, data of creation etc.

5. This creation also sucessfull and when I clicked on create button , my external list appeared on the quick launch but it didn't displayed anything on the page it showed up the below error on the page.

Error Message :

Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator.

Please help!

Thanks

Naveena

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:40 AM 2010 questions go to the 2010 forums (From:SharePoint - Business Data Catalog (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:02 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem with a different kind of external list.  When I view it from the server it works but remotely I have the same error.  Also if I open it in SharePoint designer 2010 to get more information it says "An error has occurred".  Any ideas?  Anyone?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:51 AM
  • I'm also having a similar problem.  First I created an external content type from a SQL Server DB Table (basic structure).  It worked fine and I can interact with it normally in sharepoint.

However, when I introduced a table with more complexity, I get the same errors you mention above Naveena.  The only variation between the first, and last was that I did not do the entire (Create, Read, Update, Delete) range of operations.  I only select, Read List, and Read Item as sharepoint designer specifies.  Then created my external list from that BDC Entity.

Error Message From Site Collection:
     Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator. 

Designer Error Message:
     SharePoint Designer Cannot Display the item:
    What you can try:  click the refresh button, or go back

most likely causes, the file has been deleted from the site (no).
    The site is encountering problems (yeah i would say so).

Previously, I was able to access the Read VIEW for this external content type, but received a soap error when retrieving the data.

Is there any specific order that you have to perform the external content type creation > external list?

It seems like a very nice, basic and straightforward process, but once again the tools do not work that way.

Update: 
    Please check the amount of rows your table is returning, my list is filtering by 30 items, however I do not think the web service is set to handle more than that on the backend.  Please let me know if you have questions, I have the answer but it is someone elses article.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:07 PM
  • The problem in my case was not because the external list or the WCF problem, It is because the WCF is not returning any records because of the application pool that runs the WCF doesn't have access to the DB server.

I gave the user the permissions and works perfect. :)

Moustafa Arafa
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:48 AM
  • Ya, when I create an external list and try to display, it also occur the same error. Any solution please?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:25 AM
  • I have got the same problem. Under which username is the application pool trying to access the sqls server? How can I fix this?
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Any solutions?  I am getting the same error. Thanks
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Try to add the external data type with Administrator Privileges to the Site

or make the user permissions as Site-Owner(SuperUser)

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:38 PM
  • There seem to be several causes of the above error message. I just resolved one that I didn't see listed in the various online discussions.

Like you, I created an external list, the list showed on the quick launch, but when I clicked on the link to view the data, I got the error message you described above. It turns out that SharePoint, by default can only process 2000 items from an external list but the database view I was using as a data source contained much more than that. The solution was to limit the number of items returned by the query.

This blog post describes the problem and discusses two different solutions in detail:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sridhara/archive/2010/03/10/bcs-and-external-list-learning-part1.aspx

If this is not the problem in your case, server logs can help you identify problem correctly. This post describes how to find the logs and identify the entries relevant to your problem:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/Blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=8d9e2a99-f288-47c2-916b-2f32864f7b82&ID=353&Web=5e4647a0-e7d0-4626-b71c-b1ff06402465

Best wishes!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:43 PM
  •  
    Any resolution to same problem,  I am getting similar error message..

Correlation ID:39ee96d8-91cd-45c4-a3dd-47a9b2a67d9c

Regards, Abhay A Joshi
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Try setting a limiter in your read List item. Set it to something less than 2000. If the data displays then you're good. If not then there's something else wrong.
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:27 PM
  • @GokouZWAR

I have been receiving this same error message.

What I had noticed is when I do not create Filters or set Parameters, supposedly there is more data being processed than what the system can handle, so this error is thrown? At least that is what I am guessing, because when I did add filters to the parameter under 'Read List' (well, actually that didn't help much, so I re-created the ECT and added the filters) then the error message went away and now I can see my list! :)

How can I add/modify filters after the ECT has already been created? I used the 'Read List' but still had the same error message until I re-created the entire ECT.

I found that I didnt have to set a limit, but I did add a filter where (Number != userinput). This seemed to work.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:27 PM
  • yes i was also getting the message and my data was in excess of 2000 items and even setting 1999 as the limiter would display the information. It seems though that the data that is being displayed isn't sequentially being displayed from the database. It seems to pick and choose which of the entire database to display. Though it does display the same data, it just doesn't seem to display it in a logical format to me. It's possible that it is displaying the data in the order it was intially entered, but i cannot verify that.

My brain isn't fully in gear yet this morning, what is ECT?

In regard to the userinput option, I'd like to ask a question back to you about that. I haven't used it yet but i have seen it in other places being used. Exactly how does the user input information for that variable? Does it prompt the user to enter it or does it pull from a connected webpart or something else?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:35 PM
  • ECT is (External Content Type)

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question? The user is prompted to input filters, however the user is able to select 'Finish' without having to create any filters in the parameters section. If the user wants to create a filter, after the ECT has been established, then the user will go back into designer under 'Read List', however there are no prompts for the user. Either the user knows how to set limits/filters or they don't. Whether the user sat filters nor not, the data is directly pulled from the database the user indicated would be used for this specific ECT List. Its as though I can have a database for each ECT and have many ECT's for one page.

I hope this helps, please let me know. Thanks. :)

P.S. I'm still new to SharePoint and am learning as I go.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:32 PM
  • lol ok so yeah ECT. One thing I've never liked about this business is the need for lots of acronyms. So many can be the same items and mean completely different things...

As far as i know there's no way to edit the ECT after it's created. The way I'd do it is setup different views on the ECT to display the relevant data you want. The only other option would be to use multiple ECTs on multiple and seperate pages I suppose. It's possible someone else may have a better solution than that. I'm probably about as green as you are on all this stuff. I have yet to successfully get my ECTs to work due to some server configuration or firewall issues (not sure which at this point and the admin is even more green then probably you and I put together) so it's real hard for me to know what's a good practise and what's not at this point.

What I'm referring to specifically is the value "userinput". How does ECT know what value to compare to to properly pull the data from the database? Is this value set by the designer of the ECT or the user who's viewing the ECT on the web via a prompt?

For instance i set a filter to display a user's employee number based on what the user enters: employeeNumber = userinput. Then the ECT will pull down user information on employee 12345 when the user enters 12345 as the 'userinput' value. The ECT then displays "Joe User" and his manager, phone number ext, email address etc based off the data the ECT is pulling from. The question is how does the ECT ask the user to enter "12345" to get this information to be displayed.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:44 PM
  • lol ok so yeah ECT. One thing I've never liked about this business is the need for lots of acronyms. So many can be the same items and mean completely different things...

As far as i know there's no way to edit the ECT after it's created. The way I'd do it is setup different views on the ECT to display the relevant data you want. The only other option would be to use multiple ECTs on multiple and seperate pages I suppose. It's possible someone else may have a better solution than that. I'm probably about as green as you are on all this stuff. I have yet to successfully get my ECTs to work due to some server configuration or firewall issues (not sure which at this point and the admin is even more green then probably you and I put together) so it's real hard for me to know what's a good practise and what's not at this point.

What I'm referring to specifically is the value "userinput". How does ECT know what value to compare to to properly pull the data from the database? Is this value set by the designer of the ECT or the user who's viewing the ECT on the web via a prompt?

For instance i set a filter to display a user's employee number based on what the user enters: employeeNumber = userinput. Then the ECT will pull down user information on employee 12345 when the user enters 12345 as the 'userinput' value. The ECT then displays "Joe User" and his manager, phone number ext, email address etc based off the data the ECT is pulling from. The question is how does the ECT ask the user to enter "12345" to get this information to be displayed.

How does ECT know what value to compare to to properly pull the data from the database? Is this value set by the designer of the ECT or the user who's viewing the ECT on the web via a prompt?

Sorry for the delay, the ECT knows the value that is being compared because the designer sets the value when Parameters/Filters are set when the ECT is created. Remember when I shared how an ECT is created and it has to go through a process and one of those steps in the process is to create a parameter/filter so not to much data is being passed that it would bog down the system? This I believe is the last step in setting up the ECT (Parameter/Filters).

The question is how does the ECT ask the user to enter "12345" to get this information to be displayed.

An end user does not touch the ECT, only the designer. If you want to ask an end user a question, then you may want to consider looking into InfoPath with SharePoint. The ECT is use only to set up lists that bring data through to the portal. It is not intended to be used to ask an end-user a question to return a specific value. It is only to set filters so that information that shouldn't be returned isn't returned so the system isn't bogged down.  For example in the Parameter section, we see 'Default Value:' is either set to <<Null>> or <<None>> the designer can set that value, not an end-user. This is for the designer to set filters.

Again, if you want to ask the end user a question and have data retrieved, you may want to consider using forms (InfoPath) with SharePoint. This is something I too am still learning, how to retrieve the data from the database to populate a form, I believe it has something to do with how I am setting my rules, but as soon as I figure that out, I will be one Happy Camper. :)

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:28 PM

How does ECT know what value to compare to to properly pull the data from the database? Is this value set by the designer of the ECT or the user who's viewing the ECT on the web via a prompt?

Sorry for the delay, the ECT knows the value that is being compared because the designer sets the value when Parameters/Filters are set when the ECT is created. Remember when I shared how an ECT is created and it has to go through a process and one of those steps in the process is to create a parameter/filter so not to much data is being passed that it would bog down the system? This I believe is the last step in setting up the ECT (Parameter/Filters).

The question is how does the ECT ask the user to enter "12345" to get this information to be displayed.

An end user does not touch the ECT, only the designer. If you want to ask an end user a question, then you may want to consider looking into InfoPath with SharePoint. The ECT is use only to set up lists that bring data through to the portal. It is not intended to be used to ask an end-user a question to return a specific value. It is only to set filters so that information that shouldn't be returned isn't returned so the system isn't bogged down.  For example in the Parameter section, we see 'Default Value:' is either set to <<Null>> or <<None>> the designer can set that value, not an end-user. This is for the designer to set filters.

Again, if you want to ask the end user a question and have data retrieved, you may want to consider using forms (InfoPath) with SharePoint. This is something I too am still learning, how to retrieve the data from the database to populate a form, I believe it has something to do with how I am setting my rules, but as soon as I figure that out, I will be one Happy Camper. :)

I hope this helps.

Ultimately my goal is to get the external content list data to populate a list that is being filled out by the user. The user enters data into a form, that form goes and takes the data the user enters and pulls information from the external content type to populate some of the items in the list. The ECT holds the first name, last name, phone number, manager's name, based on their employee number as an example. Being these specific employees are no longer with the company they're not in the main AD list which is why I have to use this 'history' DB for those who are going to say "why don't you just use the user profiles area for that stuff?"

The problem I've been having is getting that data from the SQL server into the list. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it so that sharepoint can go out to an SQL database directly and grab data without having to go through a huge set of C# code to create your own connection strings and other stuff that i'm not real familiar with. Why is it there's no "connect to this SQL Server, pull data from it and drop it into a list" option? The only way i can see to do that is to pull the SQL database into an ECT and then call the ECT as the SQL server information. The problem lies in where the limitations of the ECT being able to store the data from the SQL DB in it's entirety when the information exceeds 2000 entries. Our databse has 40,000 entries where I only need 1 of those items, but i cannot make the ECT just show that ONE peice of data, pull the information out and drop it into a list! Why is this so hard to get done without a programmer's degree in C#? I'm a VB.net guy and there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in VB.net! /end rant

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Ultimately my goal is to get the external content list data to populate a list that is being filled out by the user. The user enters data into a form, that form goes and takes the data the user enters and pulls information from the external content type to populate some of the items in the list. The ECT holds the first name, last name, phone number, manager's name, based on their employee number as an example. Being these specific employees are no longer with the company they're not in the main AD list which is why I have to use this 'history' DB for those who are going to say "why don't you just use the user profiles area for that stuff?"

------------------------------

First, have you created the list through SharePoint Designer? If not, I would recommend doing so it will be much easier. When you create your ECT in Designer are you setting Parameters? If not, then you would REALLY want to do this too for example if you have any fields where employees are no longer working with the company, do you REALLY need that data to be displayed on the list? If not set a parameter to remove the previous employees and only display the current employees. Or does EVERY employee have an email address in the company? If so then the data being pulled through where there is no Email address established, create another parameter for those without an email address to not be on the list.

-------------

Second, I too am trying to create a form that does the same thing. The only way I know how to do this is to create a form in InfoPath using database. This may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg180738.aspx

I believe the way SharePoint was configured is that we must use InfoPath 2010 if we are going to create forms to do what you had mentioned. Also, I am trying to push the envelope without using SharePoint at the moment, I am just trying to connect InfoPath with my database without using SharePoint. I know it can be done, but finding the info for this is really looking for a needle in something much worse than a haystack..lol

Just as yourself, I created a form that has a drop-down list of employee names. The user selects an employee name and the rest of the fields are to populate with the employee info, however there are rules that have to be configured in order for this to work (this is where I have my hangup). You are requested to insert the name of the database that you are using along with the password.

I can see your frustration with the 40,000 entries and the limitation of 2000 with SharePoint.

Are you posting your question to other forums as well to get the most help you can? There is one called SharePointoverflow.com and eggheadcafe.com...these are a few others that I use.

I really wish I could help you more, but as you mentioned earlier, we are both green and learning as we go.

Just because someone is a programmer, doesn't mean they know all of the coding languages...lol...I am new to C#, ASP.Net and trying to wrap my head around VB.Net...I'm a Java, C++, SQL programmer, so to top of learning sharepoint also learning new languages including PowerShell. It would be nice if we could keep each other up to date on this. I will do my best on this end, when I find resolutions to our issues I can keep you informed.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:52 PM
  • I'm getting the same error as was originally stated in this question but only only when I sign in to SharePoint as my test user account.
    This leads me to think that it's a permissions problem (isn't everything) but I'm still trying to determine where the problem lies.

I don't want to give all users access to the database and surely that's what the Secure Store Service is for.
    If I setup the SSS to enable access for the ECT and associated external lists then why would I get access issues?

Any thoughts?

N03L.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

The issue you are getting is due to throttling, There are more than 2000 items coming back so SharePoint is preventing it from loading.

I would recommend adding a limit filter and another (Comparison or Wildcard) onto your ECT to make sure not all of your data is coming back at once

Try it with BCS Tester Man http://bcstesterman.codeplex.com/ too

Regards

Phill

If you found this post helpful, please mark it so. Thanks!

Lightning Tools – where I work
    BCS Tester Man – My Codeplex personal project

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Could you post some resources on how to set limiters and filters? Also is there a way to set a filter that a user can define during runtime? IE they want to view only users from a specific city but we want it to change dynamically based on the user's entry.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hi GokouZWAR

SharePoint Designer: http://www.lightningtools.com/blog/archive/2010/01/14/creating-comparison-and-wildcard-filters-for-bcs-in-sharepoint-designer.aspx

BCS Model: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff464406.aspx

If you want you could download BCS Meta Man (a tool from the company I work for, other tools are available) to see how it's done

http://www.lightningtools.com/blog/archive/2010/01/22/create-bcs-filters-using-bcs-meta-man.aspx

.... I'll find some more examples.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:56 PM
  • When you add the filter to your External Content Type it will add a header onto your Business Data List Web Part which your end users can configure - yes.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:03 PM
  • My Demo XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Model Name="BCSMetaMan56LobSystemModel" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2007/BusinessDataCatalog">
     <LobSystems>
     <LobSystem Name="BCSMetaMan56LobSystem" Type="DotNetAssembly">
      <LobSystemInstances>
      <LobSystemInstance Name="BCSMetaMan56LobSystemInstance">
       <Properties>
       <Property Name="ShowInSearchUI" Type="System.String"></Property>
       </Properties>
      </LobSystemInstance>
      </LobSystemInstances>
      <Entities>
      <Entity Name="HumanResources_Department" Namespace="BCSMetaMan56.Model" Version="1.0.0.1">
       <Properties>
       <Property Name="OriginalTableName" Type="System.String">[HumanResources].[Department]</Property>
       <Property Name="IsCustomCode" Type="System.Boolean">false</Property>
       <Property Name="Class" Type="System.String">BCSMetaMan56.Model.HumanResources_DepartmentEntityService, BCSMetaMan56LobSystem</Property>
       <Property Name="Title" Type="System.String">Name</Property>
       </Properties>
       <Identifiers>
       <Identifier Name="DepartmentID" TypeName="System.Int16" />
       </Identifiers>
       <Methods>
       <Method Name="GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys">
        <FilterDescriptors>
        <FilterDescriptor Type="Wildcard" FilterField="Name" Name="Department" />
        <FilterDescriptor Type="Limit" FilterField="DepartmentID" Name="limit" />
        </FilterDescriptors>
        <Parameters>
        <Parameter Name="limitFilter" Direction="In">
         <TypeDescriptor Name="limitFilter" TypeName="System.Int64" AssociatedFilter="limit">
         <DefaultValues>
          <DefaultValue MethodInstanceName="GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys" Type="System.Int64">100</DefaultValue>
         </DefaultValues>
         </TypeDescriptor>
        </Parameter>
        <Parameter Name="Name" Direction="In">
         <TypeDescriptor Name="Name" TypeName="System.String" AssociatedFilter="Department">
         <DefaultValues>
          <DefaultValue MethodInstanceName="GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys" Type="System.String">%</DefaultValue>
         </DefaultValues>
         </TypeDescriptor>
        </Parameter>
        <Parameter Name="returnParameter" Direction="Return">
         <TypeDescriptor Name="HumanResources_DepartmentList" TypeName="System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[[BCSMetaMan56.Model.GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitysProperties, BCSMetaMan56LobSystem]]" IsCollection="true">
         <TypeDescriptors>
          <TypeDescriptor Name="HumanResources_Department" TypeName="BCSMetaMan56.Model.GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitysProperties, BCSMetaMan56LobSystem">
          <TypeDescriptors>
           <TypeDescriptor Name="DepartmentID" TypeName="System.Int16" IdentifierName="DepartmentID" ReadOnly="true" />
           <TypeDescriptor Name="Name" TypeName="System.String" />
           <TypeDescriptor Name="GroupName" TypeName="System.String" />
           <TypeDescriptor Name="ModifiedDate" TypeName="System.DateTime" />
          </TypeDescriptors>
          </TypeDescriptor>
         </TypeDescriptors>
         </TypeDescriptor>
        </Parameter>
        </Parameters>
        <MethodInstances>
        <MethodInstance Name="GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys" DefaultDisplayName="GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys" Default="true" Type="Finder" ReturnParameterName="returnParameter" />
        </MethodInstances>
       </Method>
       </Methods>
      </Entity>
      </Entities>
     </LobSystem>
     </LobSystems>
    </Model>

The yellow parts are what you are after, the two Filters (a limit and a wildcard) - We also need to define to IN parameters which supply the value of our filters

Hope this helps!

• Edited by Phill Duffy Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:13 PM Added colour and more help!
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:09 PM
  • My Demo Class

[BcsMethodType(MethodType.Finder)]
    public IEnumerable<GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitysProperties> GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitys(long limitFilter, string Name)
    {
      var dataContext = new AdventureWorksContext(ConnectionString);
      var records = from record in dataContext.HumanResources_Department.Where(MatchesFilterDepartment(Name))
             select new GetAllHumanResources_DepartmentEntitysProperties
             {
               DepartmentID = record.DepartmentID,
               Name = record.Name,
               GroupName = record.GroupName,
               ModifiedDate = record.ModifiedDate
             };
      records = records.Take((int)limitFilter).OrderBy(f => f.DepartmentID);
      return records;
    }

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:10 PM
  • And finally this is how it will look on the page

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution for this issue?  I don't know if my issue is the same but when I tried to open the external list via SharePoint Designer I received this error:

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/03/addressing/faultuuid:12b649a8-2578-444a-b179-d4f950551ad9http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/03/addressing/role/anonymous2011-03-28T21:40:53Z2011-03-28T21:45:53Zsoap:ClientWSE012: The input was not a valid SOAP message because the following header is missing: SOAPAction.http://dev-spf-m04/_vti_bin/webpartpages.asmx

I was able to create everything successfully with no errors.  I get the error when I try to view the data in SharePoint or SharePoint Desinger.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, March 28, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I had this same error message and just solved it. In my case a TypeDescriptor of the returnParameter was meant to be mapped to the Identifier but it was not, it was set to (none). Setting this to the proper Identifier fixed my problem. I did this for both the ReadItem and ReadList methods. Good luck!
    Sunday, May 01, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hello

Here is what`s happening BCS has throttling limit when filling external lists, if the SQL table has more rows than the default throttle of the BCS you will receive the following Error :

Solution is easy, Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products -> SharePoint 2010 Management Shell

Then adjust your throttling Default and Maximum parameters, here is an example :

PS Y:\> $proxy=Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_ -match "Business data Connectivity Service"}

PS Y:\> Get-SPBusinessDataCatalogThrottleConfig -Scope database -ThrottleType items -ServiceApplicationProxy $proxy

Scope        : Database

ThrottleType : Items

Enforced     : True

Default      : 2000

Max          : 1000000

PS Y:\> $defaultThrottleConfig = Get-SPBusinessDataCatalogThrottleConfig -Scope database -throttleType items        -ServiceApplicationProxy $proxy

PS Y:\> $defaultThrottleConfig

Default      : 2000

PS Y:\> Set-SPBusinessDataCatalogThrottleConfig -Default 40000 -Identity  $defaultThrottleConfig -Maximum 1000000

PS Y:\> $customThrottleConfig = Get-SPBusinessDataCatalogThrottleConfig -Scope database -ThrottleType items      -ServiceApplicationProxy $proxy

PS Y:\> $customThrottleConfig

Default      : 40000

PS Y:\>

Open new page or clear the cache and test your external list it will be working J

Smiles

Thursday, June 09, 2011 6:08 PM
  • First of all you should check your services.
    In the central administration --> Service application

• Manage service applications. Check secure store service is well started, and you can well open it.
    • Manage serices on servers. Secure Store Service

Error when trying to configure Secure Store Service ?

You receive the following error after creating a new instance of the Secure Store Service:

Cannot complete this action as the Secure Store Shared Service is not responding. Please contact your administrator.

The following steps have succesfully resolved the issue:

First navigate to Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Services on Server

With the correct server selected, ensure that the Secure Store Service has been started.

Also check that the Claims to Windows Token Service has also started.

Navigate back to the Secure Store Service instance and you should now be able to begin configuring the service. If you encounter a message stating that Before creating a new Secure Store Target Application, you must first generate a new key for this Secure Store Service Application from the ribbon then follow the instructions to configure a new key for the Secure Store Service.

Régis BOUSSION

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:42 AM
  • I was facing same issue and got resolved by changing Type Name of RealList() Return parameter Descriptor, mistake that i did was to mention my BDC Model name(name entered while creating bdc model, but if we expand that node we have another file named "BdcModel.bdcm", the actual model file")not name of file having .bdcm extention.

Please select your ReadList method in BDC explore expand to your return parameter. Open properties and click on Type Name, expand list and switch to Project name tab.

Select your project and class you are using in BDC Model, for me after selecting my class it automatically displayed qualified type name. (ProjectName.ClassName,BdcModel)

Thanks

Saira

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hello,

I have had same problem  and now able to resolve. 

Correlation ID:ff46c846-875b-4d76-a9bb-aebfc220315b

In my case, there were 4 list view webparts which was displaying filtered data from different lists. Along with that on same page, there were few javascripts coding. These scripts were taking lot of time on page load and delaying overall page. 

I believe becoz of delay from scripts the list view webparts were not able to pull filtered data from list database and resultant throwing error intermittently. 

Now I have corrected the scripts and page is loading at normal speed. Hence all other webparts also with out error. 

• Edited by pragooy Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:40 PM updating
    • Proposed as answer by ahmedadel_cs Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ahmedadel_cs Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:38 PM
  • I solved this problem by the following steps :-

-       Open SharePoint designer 2010

-       Open External data source

-       Open your data source connection

-       Click on read list and edit operation

-       Add parameter field then click finish

-       If your page already opened click F5 if not it will work fine and you don’t need to clear the cash in the future

Ahmed Ma’atook

SharePoint & BI consultant

• Edited by ahmedadel_cs Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by wtjones Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by wtjones Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:56 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:26 AM
  • This worked for me Mohamed.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Login the server as administrator

Run cmd as administrator

iisreset

This resolved my problem

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:16 AM
  • I am stilling facing the same issue - All of the above solutions do not work for me.

Thanks

Error while executing web part: Microsoft.BusinessData.Infrastructure.BdcException: The shim execution failed unexpectedly - Access is denied
    • Edited by Metla Monday, December 31, 2012 12:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Babu Nagalingam Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Babu Nagalingam Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:12 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 12:05 PM
  • This means the user does not have access to Target Application.The user / group that are not mapped to the credentials defined for this Target Applications. Add the user or group as a member.

Babu Nagalingam SharePoint Developer

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:16 PM
  • I Solved it, yeahhhhhhh I created a External Content Type and Deployed I got the Same error,

Solution : we need to check the Identifier should be mapped to correct identifier Field in the Method. i.e

If your Method id ReadList , one TypeDescripter should be mapped to Identifier and Identifier value should have data.

thats it.

http://www.abdulazizfarooqi.wordpress.com Abdul Aziz Farooqi [BizTalk & SharePoint Consultant] MCPD Web & MCPD SharePoint 2010

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:48 PM
  • @ Metla, Kindly go to the Central Administration,

(1) Manage service applications

(2) Business Data Connectivity Service

Select the appropriate content type

Go to Set Metadata Store Permission Give rights to your user
    Go to Set Object Permissions  Give rights to your user

hope this may help u to rid of access denied.

http://www.abdulazizfarooqi.wordpress.com Abdul Aziz Farooqi [BizTalk & SharePoint Consultant] MCPD Web & MCPD SharePoint 2010

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Did you get the solution for this.I am geteting the same error.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:28 PM