none
My Site in home web design

Question

• Hi,

I am an individual and beginner SharePoint Designer 2010 user, I like this MS software, so I decided to use it for my hobby web design, but I can’t use the „My Site” and „My Site customization” features of it. (I have installed SharePoint Foundation 2010 and IIS). I would like to ask whether the „My Site” feature of the software can be used without install of SharePoint Server 2010 (I have read about it here, but SharePoint Server 2010 and server farms were always mentioned). I think, that SharePoint Server 2010 is not really for home web designers but only for companies. Is it right? And the „My Site” is suitable for individual web designers, too?

Do I need the „My Site” feature for my home web design? If yes, how can I use it with or without SharePoint Server 2010?

Thanks, Regards: David
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:57 PM

Answers

• For what you are trying to do, would  think the blank site template would be too basic.

I have not used the My Site tools on SharePoint Designer - so I am not familiar with what you are trying to do - is the link on the Ribbon toolbar or in the actual design view of the page - if its the latter then it would not work. I also think the MySite feature is over engineering the type of site you wish to create.

Simon Rennocks | SharePoint 2010 MCITP & MCPD | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 | Blog | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, December 23, 2011 7:56 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Which template you use would depend on the functionality of your site, something you will need to design.
    Simon Rennocks | SharePoint 2010 MCITP & MCPD | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 | Blog | LinkedIn
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:25 PM

All replies

• For what I think you are using SharePoint for, you will not need the My Site Features. You are right that is part of the Server product (which you could use but would cost you quite a bit) as part of the User Profile Service Application features.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:03 PM
  • MySites feature is not available in SharePoint Foundation. You need to run SharePoint Server Standard or Enterprise and ActiveDirectory enviroment.

Even if you will install standalone SharePoint Server on your local PC without ActiveDirectory, MySites will not be available, as user profile service needs active directory.

Profile Synchronization does not work on a stand-alone installation of SharePoint Server 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff681014.aspx

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Ok, thanks, 

2 questions:

I am not going to use the MySite feature, because the "New blank site" feature is enough for only an average home web design work and as well for publication of the site in the future, I think. Is it right?

Meanwhile I have installed SP Server 2010 trial, so I tried the MySite feature, it works, but when I click on "Customize my site" on the main page of SharePoint Designer 2010, it doesnt work, it writes that there isnt a default my site...I can reach My Site in a browser and inside of SP Designer too, and the User Profile Service App is runing, so I dont know, what is the problem?

Thanks, regards: David

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:40 AM
  • For what you are trying to do, would  think the blank site template would be too basic.

I have not used the My Site tools on SharePoint Designer - so I am not familiar with what you are trying to do - is the link on the Ribbon toolbar or in the actual design view of the page - if its the latter then it would not work. I also think the MySite feature is over engineering the type of site you wish to create.

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

you wrote that the blank site template is too basic, then what do you suggest to use for home web design without SharePoint Server 2010?

Under "Customize my site" problem I mean the beginner panel of SP Designer 2010, when no webpages are yet opened, only the File / Webpages panel, where there are buttons for example: "Open a webpage", "Customize my site", "New blank website", "Add a subsite to my site". And here the "Customize my site" and the "Add a subsite to my site" dont work, but I dont know why...

David

Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Which template you use would depend on the functionality of your site, something you will need to design.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:25 PM