none
fill down VALUES in columns adjacent to data - Excel table

Question

• First off, let me start by saying that I barely know anything about SharePoint. I already posted my question on the Excel forum and I got a hint that SharePoint might help me out with the issue.

In Excel, there is a well-known option called "fill down formulas in columns adjacent to data" but I want to "fill down VALUES in columns adjacent to data". Do you have any ideas on how to accomplish this? 

I have an External Data table linked to a SQL Server query. I want to be able to put some notes in the right column adjacent to linked data. As rows are being added or removed from the linked data, my notes are getting out of sync with the original row number. Is there a way of tricking Excel/SharePoint in keeping those columns synced?

My linked table does not have a Unique Column or Primary Key.

admin
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi GMPINC,

Thanks for your post.

If the excel is uploaded to SharePoint, you can try to use the UDF in Excel Service. In the UDF (User defined function), you can write your logic there, so you can get the content need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms499792.aspx

but if you excel is located in local server, not in SharePoint, you have to ask the question in Office forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Thank you Wayne.

I was hoping SharePoint might have some extra trick. I do not know how a custom UDF might help in this case because rows are not unique. If I had a unique column or combination of columns I would be able to provide a row number at the source (SQL Server in this case).

admin
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:29 PM