none
How to import Excel spreadsheet into SharePoint 2013 list? (not as an attachment)

Question

• How do you import an Excel spreadsheet into a SharePoint 2013 list? Is this functionality out of the box in SharePoint 2013?

I have figured out how to import an Excel spreadsheet into a list as an attachment in SharePoint 2013, but not directly into the list.  Upon opening the list, I would like to see all the columns, rows, and data displayed.  I do not want to open an attachment to view the data in the actual spreadsheet.  I was able to do this in SharePoint 2010, but cannot do it in SharePoint 2013.

All of the questions in previous related topics are related to SharePoint 2010 and earlier versions, so they are not helpful.

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

• Add an app->Import Spreadsheet
    Monday, March 25, 2013 3:35 AM
  • SOLUTION:  GuYuming provided the answer.  I was able to import an existing spreadsheet with columns and all data by going to Lists>Add an app. From there I simply had to name the list, add a
    description if desired, choose the location of the file I wanted to import, and
    hit import. I was then prompted to select a Range Type (Table Range), and
    Select Range (only option in dropdown list). It indicated that this would
    import my spreadsheet data as a new Windows SharePoint Services list. Then I
    hit import. I did have to check the column types to make sure they all came
    through as the type I needed. Also, contents in the first column are
    "linked to item with edit menu." If you want a different column to be
    linked to item with edit menu, I believe you need to switch the column order in
    your original spreadsheet.

Jeanie Gregorich

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeanie,

I don't believe this functionality is available in SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013 out of the box.  I know in SharePoint 2010 you could kind of get it to work by creating a list with all of the same columns as your Excel spreadsheet.  You could then copy the data from the spreadsheet and paste it into the list using the GridView (This is replaced by Quick Edit in SharePoint 2013).  Other than that you would need to use a third party solution like the one below:

http://www.sharepointboost.com/sharepoint-excel-import.html

Jimmy "Chopps" | My Blog | Twitter

Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Add an app->Import Spreadsheet
    Monday, March 25, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for replying, but I know this was possible in SP 2010 because I just did it a couple of weeks ago before we upgraded to SP 2013.  I was able to copy and paste an entire Excel spreadsheet to a list in SP 2010.  It brought over the column headings as well as all of the content in the cells.  This is why I'm not giving up on finding this functionality in SP 2013.  I have multiple lists in SP 2010 that I want to bring over to SP 2013 without having to create custom list headings. 

Jeanie Gregorich

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Here is the link with instructions on how I did this in SP2010:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/importing-the-spreadsheet-RZ101874356.aspx?section=4

As you can see, the import brought over the column headings as well as the spreadsheet content.

Jeanie Gregorich

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I found the "Import Spreadsheet" app.  Thanks!  It was located in Lists>Add an App. Thank you!

Jeanie Gregorich

• Proposed as answer by Moonjumper75 Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:33 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 9:46 PM
  • SOLUTION:  GuYuming provided the answer.  I was able to import an existing spreadsheet with columns and all data by going to Lists>Add an app. From there I simply had to name the list, add a
    description if desired, choose the location of the file I wanted to import, and
    hit import. I was then prompted to select a Range Type (Table Range), and
    Select Range (only option in dropdown list). It indicated that this would
    import my spreadsheet data as a new Windows SharePoint Services list. Then I
    hit import. I did have to check the column types to make sure they all came
    through as the type I needed. Also, contents in the first column are
    "linked to item with edit menu." If you want a different column to be
    linked to item with edit menu, I believe you need to switch the column order in
    your original spreadsheet.

Jeanie Gregorich

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:14 PM
  • when i import an Excel sheet with URL cell, i can see that sometimes the imported URL just broken in SharePoint 2013 list because of space charactor in the URL. And the SharePoint list column created for the URL is single line of text.

As a workaround, i can create an empty list in SharePoint with a hyperlink column, and open the list as a link table in Access 203, then import excel sheet into the link table. The URL field in Excel sheet imported fine in this approach. Sometimes, the SharePoint list fieldname does not match with the Excel table column name, simply save the excel file as another copy and rename the Excel column name to align with SharePoint.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Where is "Lists > Add an app"?? I don't see this option at all.  OMG, I am literally desperate to get this to work.  I will have tons of new users that want lists set up and I am having them send me the column headings in Excel because I was going to import them and now the option is gone in 2013.  I am really hating 2013 so far.  I could do so much more with 2007 and 2010...

P.S. Help!!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:49 PM
  • When I go to my home page, I see a menu on the left that has "Lists" as one of the options.  Click on Lists.  Then you will see a page called Site Contents that has Lists, Libraries and other Apps.  The first icon in the top left corner is a picture of a hexagon on top of another hexagon.  This app is called "add an app." Once you click on "add an app" you should see the "Import Spreadsheet" app.  You may need to scroll through a few pages to find it. 

Jeanie Gregorich

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:32 PM
  • You might find the "Import Spreadsheet" app when you click on Lists if the app was already added in the past.

Jeanie Gregorich

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Sorry, I'm blind or something.  It's been there all along.  I see it now. What on earth is wrong with me??  LOL  Thanx!  :)
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Please help!

I found the option to upload an excel spreadsheet, but every time I select the file to upload it tells me that the format is not right. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:05 PM
  • The only things I know of that might be a problem are:

1. Make sure there are no spaces in the name of your spreadsheet.

2. Make sure all cells in your spreadsheet have data in them.  If some cells are empty, enter some bogus data in there.  ie Enter "populate" in each empty field.  You can edit the data in these cells once it is in SharePoint.

Sorry but I don't have any other ideas of why your spreadsheet format wouldn't be correct. 

Jeanie Gregorich

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:39 PM
  • I created the list as Import from excel and I could able to import properly,but my requirement here is I need to append the data into 2010 list by importing from excel. Any suggestions or guidence in this.

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Use Datasheet view to copy and paste the data from the excel file into your existing list..

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:43 PM
  • This doesn't work for me.  I get the following even though I am using IE in desktop mode and have a full office 2013 license.

"The list cannot be imported because a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible spreadsheet application is not installed or is not compatible with your browser."

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for mentioning us in your post. We'll keep making great web parts. 

For some reason, we've just shut down our domain sharepointboost this October and now it's a 404 link.

Can you please change the link from sharepointboost to boostsolutions?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Jeanie,

I don't believe this functionality is available in SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013 out of the box.  I know in SharePoint 2010 you could kind of get it to work by creating a list with all of the same columns as your Excel spreadsheet.  You could then copy the data from the spreadsheet and paste it into the list using the GridView (This is replaced by Quick Edit in SharePoint 2013).  Other than that you would need to use a third party solution like the one below:

Jimmy "Chopps" |

Monday, December 09, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Also, contents in the first column are "linked to item with edit menu."   - FALSE - just did multiple imports and for some unknown reason, SharePoint is picking the third column in my Excel Spreadsheet as the column to replace the 'Title' default column with.  ('Title' is the default column name that gets the linked to item and edit menu').  If anyone knows what could cause sharepoint to choose a column other than the first in my excel list, I would love to hear it.  It is not a showstopper, but is going to make the application I am building look a bit stupid if the third column has the edit menus instead of the first.  In other words, instead of the item ID having this property, the Item Type dropdown list is getting it. 

example:

ITEM #    Cost   Type

1     $5     mothpiece

2     $7     headgear

3     $8     shoes

4     $9     pants

So instead of the Edit hanging off of the number, it hang off of the Type.  Just plain stupid

The spread I am inporting contains 1000's of items, and I have quite a few more sheets to import in.  I would love to find some way to specify the column that will replace the 'Title' column since it is apparently NOT the first in the spreadsheet.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:42 PM
  • I have recently posted an article for this, MS Access- SharePoint this might be useful for someone -

http://sharepointlogics.com/2014/07/how-to-import-excel-spreadsheet-to.html

Joseph

Friday, July 18, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Hi Jeanie,

Did you ever try to import an excel sheet in 2013 which has got some filter columns in it ? Try doing so ! I think you won't be able to import.

Can anybody please answer for this problem.

Thanks.

Prj

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:25 AM