that folder. Oddly, it doesn't change the dates to the last updated
    date of the folder, but to the date just before that. For example:

1. Rename folder, last modified date is 8/13 at 3:30 - no change to
    documents and subfolders
    2. Rename folder, last modified date is 8/13 at 3:35 - documents and
    subfolders last modified date = 8/13 at 3:30
    2. Rename folder, last modified date is 8/13 at 3:40 - documents and
    subfolders last modified date = 8/13 at 3:35

Does anyone know why this is happening and/or if it can be stopped?

-Bhanu Singh

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, December 20, 2010 4:24 PM Pressure removed. Restrict yourself to the question.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 4:17 PM

All replies

• My test result is that rename the folder in document library will change the modified date in document library, but it will *not* change the modified date for the documents in the folder.

Could you please check if there are customization such as event handlers or workflows involved? You can check it with SharePoint Manager 2007

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I checked and found there are no event handlers or workflow involved, when updating the document.

I found there are couple of other post in the internet where users have faced similar issue. So I was curious, if its a known issue?

-Bhanu Singh
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Sorry for the delay! I find in internal database that this is a known issue. I found two symptoms:

1.       Rename the folder for the second time, the subfolder modified date changed

2.       Rename the folder in Explorer View, the modified date for file name in folder changed

I just did a simple test and the following table is my results:

SharePoint Version

Symptom 1

Symptom 2

Not fixed

Not fixed

Fixed

Not fixed

As to the second symptom, I had not found it been confirmed as a bug for SharePoint, it seems to be the behavior of Windows Explorer. If you rename the folder in Explorer View and close the Explorer View, the items in folder does not change. If you rename the folder in Explorer View and click into the folder to check the items, the items’ last modified date changed. So, my advice is to avoid rename folder name in Explorer View to avoid confusion from end user.

Gu Yuming

Friday, January 07, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi Bhanu,

Even i encounter the same issue when a rename a folder for the second time.Iam working with MOSS 2007.

Gu Yuming has said it is an issue with MOSS 2007.Currently iam not in a position to migrate to 2010.

Please share me a solution in MOSS 2007.

Regards

Grigory

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Sorry for the delay! I find in internal database that this is a known issue. I found two symptoms:

1.       Rename the folder for the second time, the subfolder modified date changed

2.       Rename the folder in Explorer View, the modified date for file name in folder changed

I just did a simple test and the following table is my results:

SharePoint Version

Symptom 1

Symptom 2

Not fixed

Not fixed

Fixed

Not fixed

As to the second symptom, I had not found it been confirmed as a bug for SharePoint, it seems to be the behavior of Windows Explorer. If you rename the folder in Explorer View and close the Explorer View, the items in folder does not change. If you rename the folder in Explorer View and click into the folder to check the items, the items’ last modified date changed. So, my advice is to avoid rename folder name in Explorer View to avoid confusion from end user.

Gu Yuming

Hi Yuming,

I am facing the same issue.Currently I am working on MOSS 2007 and is not in a position to migrate to MOSS 2010.

Can you please share me a solution for the "Symptom 1" (in ref to the above quote) in MOSS 2007.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Grigory

Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

From what we can see the product group is actively working on a fix for this for MOSS 2007.  The ETA for the fix has not been released yet. 

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

From what we can see the product group is actively working on a fix for this for MOSS 2007.  The ETA for the fix has not been released yet. 

Hi,

If i open a support case ticket with microsft for the above issue,will i get a hotfix for the same?.This requirement is currently very much critical for our business.

Regards,

Grigory

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

The product group is actively working on a fix for this there is not mention of a seperate hot fix.  It will most likely be included in one of the CU releases once the fix has been found and confirmed it does not cause other issues with the product.

Monday, November 07, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

Is the hotfix for the above case available as of now?

Regards,

Grigory

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:29 AM
  • This symptom 1 in WSS 3.0 has been fixed after installing WSS 3.0 sp3 and WSS 3.0  cumulative update server hotfix package (WSS server-package): October 30, 2012

Following are the download links

For WSS 3.0 sp3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526305

For Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 cumulative update server hotfix package (WSS server-package): October 30, 2012

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687535

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Still the same in SharePoint 2013 and Windows Server 2012.

Since SharePoint 2013 document library Drag and Drop is handy, you can do a lot now in browser interface for what you used to with the Windows Explorer view.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wkng/archive/2012/11/07/sharepoint-server-2013-drag-and-drop-contents-to-library.aspx

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:36 AM