none
submitting an InfoPath 2010 form and email when workflow initiates

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to display submitted InfoPath form fields only? What I'm trying to achieve here is like this:

create a form in SP library => an authorized user fill out the form => initiate approval workflow(reviewers will get an email with all contents in that form but no controls => approve/reject with comments)

I'm having problems with underlined parts. How can I create an email just to show all contents in that form(there are four repeating tables) without any controls such as save or edit buttons? Can someone give me some clues on this?

Thanks

• Edited by Clayton Cobb Saturday, June 04, 2011 3:20 AM Removed a huge amount of white space
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:43 AM

Answers

• I didn't say there is no way to achieve having approvers provide comments.  I said you couldn't send repeating tables in a workflow email - those are 2 very different things.  If all you want is for reviewers to provide comments, then you should already have that functionality in the OOTB approval workflow with no customization needed.  The task notification provides a link to the form so that the user can open it, and the task itself allows for comments.

Since that is included already, what is special about what you want to do?

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by killingbee Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:40 AM

All replies

• There's no way to show repeating tables in a workflow email.  You can maybe use a "submit to email" data connection in the form itself for sending a specific view of the form that shows the data, but there's no way for a regular workflow to show repeating data - there is no such functionality unless maybe you're building this workflow in Visual Studio (wrong forum, if so).

You said you're having problems with the underlined parts, but you didn't tell us what you had tried nor what the problems were.  I'm curious, since I don't see any way to do this at all, but I'm afraid you may be confusing workflow emails with InfoPath email submits - the latter is the only way to actually show repeating table data in an email.

Saturday, June 04, 2011 3:22 AM
  • thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I think I'm confused and still I am. 

I'm currently learning infopath 2010 and sharepoint 2010 workflow.

Everything in books are easy to follow and make sense but when I tried to change something that is not out of box it gives me a hard time. :D

The problem with email submitting in infopath is that it is not supported in sandboxed solutions and the problem with workflow email is that it only sends you a link to the site.

What I have done so far is that

1. Created a infopath form

2. published that form to a sharepoint library.

3. used 'add document' to create and fill out the form and saved

4. created a simple approval workflow (out of box)

and now I want to create something which will let reviewers check that form and put some comments if there's any.

I've googled it, read books, and tried with some features in infopath and sharepoint but couldn't find a way to do it.

And you said there's no way to achieve this, I need to find a different way to do this.

Could you tell me how to use infopath in workflow in this scenario?

I mean what is the best way to utilize the infopath form that I created and approval workflow.

thank you so much and have a great day!

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:22 AM
  • I didn't say there is no way to achieve having approvers provide comments.  I said you couldn't send repeating tables in a workflow email - those are 2 very different things.  If all you want is for reviewers to provide comments, then you should already have that functionality in the OOTB approval workflow with no customization needed.  The task notification provides a link to the form so that the user can open it, and the task itself allows for comments.

Since that is included already, what is special about what you want to do?

• Marked as answer by killingbee Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:40 AM
  • I wanted to use the form in workflow.

But it seems like send an email with a link to reviewers would be easier.

thank you for your help.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:06 AM
  • You can actually use the form to drive your workflow, too.  I do this all the time in 2007, because we can't modify the OOTB workflows in 2007, so we have to improvise.  In 2010, you can go nuts with the OOTB workflows and really make them nice.

So, when using the originating form itself to drive the workflow, you typically build your own custom workflow from scratch and then use a lot of conditional logic + views + sections to provide a personalized experience for each individual based off their role, identity, and the workflow status.  You can couple this with tasks or completely keep it inside the form with no external tasks.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:00 AM