none
Change Default Site Templates

Question

• I need to change the default site template for document workspace. ( I donot want to create custom templates as this is not possible to locate through WSS3.0). This templates located somewhere "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\".
    I like to know exact location. Anyone has clue?
    Can I change the default document workspace template such that it use this template when I create site using WSS 3.0 services.
    Any alternative idea?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:41 AM

All replies

• This is the exact default folder for themes:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\THEMES

You want to change the default theme for all Document workspace sites?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:23 AM
  • I am not talking about Themes, I am talking about the site template. The default site Template doesnot show all the web part that I am looking for, so I want to add additional web parts to the default template itself.
    What is the location of Default Site Template for Document Workspace?
    How can i do the changes to this template? Will SharePoint Designer will help ?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I understand.
    You cannot find a file on the disk with default template for Document Workspace, but you can solve your problem in that way:
    1. Create a Document Workspace with default options.
    2. Open the site in SharePoint Designer and edit all what you want to meet your requirements.
    3. Save the site as template:  Site Settings > Save as Template  
    4. You can use this template instread of default Workspace template. When you are creating a new Document Workspace site there is a new section in Select a template: section, called Custom. There are your all templates saved.
    5. You can manage all your custom templates from: Your Portal > Site Template Gallery

I hope that help!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:35 AM
  • The templates are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates. The actual definitions are the onet.xml in the respective subfolders. This is just for your info. BE VERY CAREFUL about changing the file. I don't recommend this.

Can you tell us what do you mean by

"Can I change the default document workspace template such that it use this template when I create site using WSS 3.0 services"

By default, you can choose whatever template you like when creating a site.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Solutions provided by Valy will not work as we are creating the sites using SharePoint webservices.

@Khimming:
    I have found that if we restrict in Sharepoint to use only a type of template using (http://<yoursiteurl>/_Layouts/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx ), still when one create the document workspace site using createDWS operation of SharePoint webservice, it uses default template, it does not honor this restriction. If I need to make sure, all site creation use only one template, I also need to make sure that Default Document workspace template should also get changed or refer to a custom template.
    How can I solve this.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Hi 

I am also trying to customize the default template for the document workspace.Any idea?

Please help.

Thanks

Sanjeev Gautam

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi 

I am also trying to customize the default template for the document workspace. Did you got the solution for that? Any idea?

Please help.

Thanks

Sanjeev Gautam

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:53 AM