none
Sharepoint 2007 Search not Working - No office sharepoint search service

Question

• Hello all.

I am new to Microsoft Sharepoint. I just started in our company and we have Microsoft Sharepoint 2007 installed in our environment. My manager gave me the responsibility to fix Search feature on Sharepoint.

Here is the setup:

Central Administration Server: It has Custom role selected. Which doesn't show Office Sharepoint Search service. So, I don't have search feature.

The database is on another SQL server.

I am creating one more server (only for search) and adding that to the sharepoint farm. It will be complete installation. And I will enable search indexing on that server to start search feature. Is this the correct way to do it? Or is there any more efficient way?

I have Windows Sharepoint Services Search on my current Sharepoint server but still search not working. Please guide me how I can accomplish this?

FYI- Little confused of the database server role: I have seperate database server configured but when I open the server role for that it is configured as web server for medium server farm. Does the database server is configured as web front end server? Sharepoint server is VMware Virtual Machine, but that doesn't make any difference I guess.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:30 PM

Answers

•  

Items are crawled (indexing is working) the problem is with the query. If you create a new web application for tests and a  new site collection I am curios if you have the same problem.

Apply also this action plan:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0

Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.

Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.

Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type the host name or the host names for the sites that are on the local computer, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the IISAdmin service.

Check if you have search results

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

•  

In your current environment if you access Central Administration -> Operations -> Services on Server, Office SharePoint Search is present in service list when you tick Search Indexing role?

Are you using MOSS2007 or WSS3.0?

If you are using MOSS2007 – Windows SharePoint Services Search is used for help search. If you want to configure search for MOSS2007 here you have additional information http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303421(office.12).aspx

If you are using WSS3.0 you can manage the WSS 3.0 search using stsadm commands here you have some examples http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288507(office.12).aspx Spsearch: Stsadm operation (Windows SharePoint Services)

Also add a printscreen with Servers in Farm (CA->Operations->Servers in Farm) in order to understand better your topology and provide you answers regarding your other questions.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Thank you Bogdan.

I have attached some snapshots. It includes servers in the farm and services running. I dont see all the services including office sharepoint search and thats why I think the installation is using WSS3.0.

When I do any search on the the Sharepoint website, it throws this error something like this:

unknown error. Troubleshoot with Windows Sharepoint Services.

Ronak Bhatt

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Regarding you question if the database is configured as a web frond end server – no is not.
    I need additional information regarding this unknown error:
    - Windows SharePoint service Search is started in services on server(services.msc)?
    - The account that is used for Windows Sharepoint search service is farm admin?
    - If you check on event viewer do you have any errors related to this service?
    - Execute this stsadm command stsadm -o spsearch -action start
    - Configure the verbose mode in SharePoint logs and the reproduce the issue. Search for additional errors or exceptions related to your error message

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Q-1) Windows SharePoint service Search is started in services on server(services.msc)?  

----- YES.

Q-2) The account that is used for Windows Sharepoint search service is farm admin?   

----- This is the same account which is configured to connect to database server. This account has admin rights on the sharepoint server.

Q-3) If you check on event viewer do you have any errors related to this service?

----- Yes, there are several logs. I am including the snapshots.

Q-4) Execute this stsadm command stsadm -o spsearch -action start

----- Done. Still search not working.

Q-5) Configure the verbose mode in SharePoint logs and the reproduce the issue. Search for additional errors or exceptions related to your error message

----- Configured.

Ronak Bhatt

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:18 PM
  •  

1. Access CA-> Operations ->Services on Server

2. Click on Windows SharePoint Services Search

3. Add you farm account as Service account and Content Access account

4. Execute this command stsadm -o spsearch -action start

5. Execute this command Stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart

6. Check if you have the same issue

If you have the same issue

1. Access CA-> Operations ->Services on Server

2. Stop Windows SharePoint Services Search – this will delete your index files

3. Add you farm account as Service account and Content Access account

4. Execute this command stsadm -o spsearch -action start

5. Execute this command Stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart

6. Check if you have the same issue

Could you please paste also the errors from SharePoint logs when you reproduce the issue?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply.

But I am not sure about the farm account. I have several accounts configured here.

Account 1) $moss_srv  --- local admin account( description says that service account, but not used anywhere in the environment)

Account 2) domain\$_mosssrv --- domain admin account configured in "group for the Windows SharePoint Services farm administrator". This group is required for the WSS administration service to function.

Account 3) domain\moss.app  ---- this domain account is configured in CA ->Operations ->service account for web application sharepoint-80 (SharePoint website). Looks like real service account

Account 4) domain\moss.sql ---- Account used to connect to sql database.

Problem: I don't know the password for any accounts as i am new employee here (nobody knows). Can I reset at domain level without affecting sharepoint functionality?

Some Interesting facts found:

On SharePoint server,

Configuration database: Sharepoint_config_prd1   ---- on database server, domain\$_mosssrv is db owner

Content Database: wss_content_80_prod  ---- on database server, domain\$_mosssrv is db owner

There is a database called WSS_Search_Servername and domain\$_mosssrv is db owner. Looks like this is search database but search feature not working).

Ronak Bhatt

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:37 PM
  •  

What is the account that is used for the Windows SharePoint Timer Service?

Here you have an article that will help you to change service accounts and passwords http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Windows SharePoint Timer Service Account: domain\$_mosssrv  (account 2 from the above list)

Set the windows search service with that account, restart the iis service but still the search not working.

Set the windows search service with domain\moss.sql account too but no luck.

Ronak Bhatt

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hello,

I have updated all the passwords and reset the search service account and content access account one by one with all the accounts but no success.

Ronak Bhatt

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:58 PM
  •  

On SharePoint Server

Stop VSS writer service if it’s started

Check if farm admin is in those groups WSS_ADMIN and WSS_WPG groups (in server manager)

Execute stsadm -o spsearch -action stop

Execute stsadm -o spsearch -action start

Execute this command Stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart

On SQL server

On the search database execute this query:

Select * from msscrawlhistory where type=1 order by crawlid desc

Paste the result in here

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:14 PM
  • 1) VSS service is not running.

2) domain\$_mosssrv which is farm admin is part of those groups WSS_ADMIN and WSS_WPG_groups

3) Executed the commands.

4) Submitted the query you provided, but was giving me the error for "type=1". Checked the database tables and found the missing "Crawl" word. Got the result from sql server after running this query:

Select * from msscrawlhistory where CrawlType=1 order by crawlid desc

Result:

Ronak Bhatt

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:18 PM
  • After I got above message,

Created a new empty database, and targeted the search to that database and started the service. Service started. But search not working. Ran the above mentioned SQL Query again and got the result:

40           1              1              2012-03-02 11:39:21.980                11           2012-03-02 11:39:22.210                2012-03-02 11:44:10.353                5864       0              0

Looks like the Success count 5864 showing that it is really trying to search. Correct?

Ronak Bhatt

Friday, March 02, 2012 4:57 PM
  •  

Items are crawled (indexing is working) the problem is with the query. If you create a new web application for tests and a  new site collection I am curios if you have the same problem.

Apply also this action plan:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0

Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.

Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.

Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type the host name or the host names for the sites that are on the local computer, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the IISAdmin service.

Check if you have search results

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:54 PM