none
SharePoint 2010 Search Center: How can I make best bets/keywords appear in People search scope/results?

Question

• Background

We have a SharePoint 2010 environment where we're using the SharePoint Server 2010 search engine, mainly for people search. Based on the query logs, I have noticed that a lot of people search for a phone number that turns out to be a switch board number. I would therefore like to add this as a keyword with a related best bet for anyone who searches for this number.

I've successfully added the switchboard number to the Search Keywords list, and I have added a best bet to an intranet information page. When I open the to the Search Center front page (All Sites selected as default scope) and search for the switch board number, my registered best bet is shown on top of the list.

However, when I select the People scope, the registered best bet is not shown. The message "No people results matching your search were found." is the only message I get.

Question

• Why aren't best bets shown in the People search results?
    • How can I make best bets for registered keywords appear in the People search result?

Thank you,
    SitarPhone

PS! A similar scenario could potentially be that you might want to add a best bet for your company's CEO.

• Edited by SitarPhone Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:13 AM Updated title to a question
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I think your problem only the people page does not contains Best bets web part so go to people page and edit this page and then click on Add Web part >> Under Search Category >> Add Best bets Web part 

Regards, Fadi Abdulwahab. http://sqlgoogler.blogspot.com/ Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Hi SitarPhone,

Yes, it is confirmed with MS that it is not available for People Search. We need too develop a custom web part.

• Marked as answer by SitarPhone Monday, February 25, 2013 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I think your problem only the people page does not contains Best bets web part so go to people page and edit this page and then click on Add Web part >> Under Search Category >> Add Best bets Web part 

Regards, Fadi Abdulwahab. http://sqlgoogler.blogspot.com/ Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion.

We tried to add the Search Best Bets web part to the bottom zone of the People page (right above the People results web part). However, we are still not seing any best bets after we added this web part.

We noticed that there is a People Search Box web part on the People page, as opposed to the general Search Box web part on the All Sites page. Could this be the cause?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,
    SitarPhone

Friday, September 09, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Quick update: After doing some more research, we've found a blog about People Search and the Best Bets web part. Apparently, the Best Bets web part does not work when it's added to the peopleresults.aspx page.

Can someone (from Microsoft) please confirm this.

Thank you,
    SitarPhone

Monday, September 12, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi SitarPhone,

Yes, it is confirmed with MS that it is not available for People Search. We need too develop a custom web part.

• Marked as answer by SitarPhone Monday, February 25, 2013 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:38 AM
  • SitarPhone,

I ran into the exact issue the other day at a client.

While general logic would dictate that the People Search Results Template could just have a "Best Bets" Web Part added, Microsoft decided to block this functionality. 

The good news is Search Centers are very flexible and People Search web parts can be added to standard results pages. So the solution is to create a standard results page, and update the location properties of the result web parts to People Search.

I blogged on this here - http://www.smellslikesharepoint.com/2013/05/14/sharepoint-2010-search-best-bets-in-people-search/

Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:19 AM