none
Reuse a Task Form throughout a workflow

Question

• I did this in SPD 2007 no problem but can't seem to figure it out in 2010.  I have a workflow that needs to use the same "Assign form to group" throughout.  I don't want to have to recreate the form for every instance.

In 2007 I followed tips I found online for this. I would create the workflow with the forms I need once.  Then in later steps where I needed the form again, I'd leave the form option blank and go through the xml to copy / paste the content type id over the blank form.  When I would go back to open the workflow in SPD, it would show the correct form now in that link.

In 2010, I tried editing the xml in the same way, but when I open the workflow in SPD, it still shows the blank form in that link.  I can't figure out how to make changes to the XML apply to the view I see in SPD.

Any help is appreciated, if you are confused by my explanation let me know.  Thanks!!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Problem solved - or actually avoided.

I did not realize that in SPD 2010 I can put IF statements in the Parallel block.  My WF before had "if 1 and 2 and 3, then send these 3 forms, else if 1 and 2 then send these 2 forms only, else send the first form only".  B/c I believe in 2007 that was the only way to do it.

So now rather than having various IF statements determining which forms need to be created, I just have one parallel block that checks each form (1, 2 and 3) with an individual IF for each and then either sends the form or doesn't.  I wish I knew I could do this earlier, would have saved me hours of trying to figure out work arounds :)

Thanks for anyone who read this and at least tried to think of a solution!

• Marked as answer by SuziS Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• Problem solved - or actually avoided.

I did not realize that in SPD 2010 I can put IF statements in the Parallel block.  My WF before had "if 1 and 2 and 3, then send these 3 forms, else if 1 and 2 then send these 2 forms only, else send the first form only".  B/c I believe in 2007 that was the only way to do it.

So now rather than having various IF statements determining which forms need to be created, I just have one parallel block that checks each form (1, 2 and 3) with an individual IF for each and then either sends the form or doesn't.  I wish I knew I could do this earlier, would have saved me hours of trying to figure out work arounds :)

Thanks for anyone who read this and at least tried to think of a solution!

• Marked as answer by SuziS Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Suzi,

I am using sharepoint 2007 and running into same issue. could you please let me know how you reuse the custom "Assign form to group"  in same workflow multiple time. I am uing SPD 2007.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:13 PM
  • It's been awhile since I've done this or used 2007, but this is what I had bookmarked.  Hope it helps!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/d26a0a59-321d-4619-ba42-0b05430af44b

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:26 PM