none
Automatically Refresh External Data for a Custom List

Question

• I created a external list named "Project" and included 2 columns "Project ID", "Project Name",

and created a custom list named "Project Schedule", Lookup for external list "Project ID" and add "Project Name" for additional field.

If I have updated the "Project Name" in external list "Project", I can see the new project name in "Project Schedule" if clicked "Refresh External Data" of Project ID.

My question is : Is there any no coding solution for Automatically Refresh External Data of Customer List?

I think this is a basic requirement of Business Data Connection Service.

• Edited by Paul757532 Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:29 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Hi Arun Kumar Arora

thanks your reply, but just refresh page cannot fix this issue because it will not trigger to get new data for external data list.

In custom list, there are a icon on external data colulmn (Projec ID in my case) can trigger "Refresh External Data", but need somebody to click it, and my issue is how set system auto do this job, I have server custom list use external data column.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:29 PM
  • If I am understanding the question right?

I recall if you create a new view and insert a DataView with SPD, on the Options tab while editing that DVWP, there is the Asynchronous Update.

Once this is selected you can add a Refresh button to that WebPart or set a Refresh Interval, which auto refreshes the data to the ECT.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi Stunpals

thanks for your reply, I have try your solution, it cannot fix custom list with External Data Column data issue.

Current, I have 2 lists, 1 External Data List, 1 Custom List with External Data Column (Lookup External Data List),

For External Data List, always automatically sync data from External Data (Sql Server Table) when open list dataview.

For Custom List with External Data Column, just can manually Click "Refresh External Data" on that column to trigger update data from External Data List.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:45 AM
  • I just tested the "Refresh Interval" with an ECT (external list) and a custom list both allow for the auto refresh.

You must create a new view with SPD first then insert a DataView (Insert tab on SPD), then on the options tab in the middle there is a "Refresh Interval" dropdown.

• Edited by Stunpals Friday, March 30, 2012 2:43 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi Stunpals,

thanks your reply again, I followed your steps but it still cannot fix the problem, I suppose you did not set the condition as like my.

my condition as below :

1. External List from BDCS(connect SQL)

2.  External Dataview ID=7, Project=Elton3 (Updated from Elton_3 to Elton3) (Updated by external system into SQL Table and will auto sync with this external data list in Sharepoint 2010)

3.  Customer List created in Sharepoint 2010 and with a external data column (Lookup for above external dat list Project _ID) and a additional field (Project)

4. Customer List dataview, you can see the Project ID=7 and Project_ID:Project=Elton_3 (no sync after external data updated to Elton3)

You can see on Project ID, there is a icon for "Refersh External Data", it will update new data from external data list if someone click it.

And you can see up right concer, there is a Asynchronous Update icon, that you provided solution, it will not update new data even though click it.

Monday, April 02, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Is there anybody got the solution? thanks

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:17 AM
  • I know when I tested this a week or so ago, to both an External List and a custom list with a External Data Column the Auto refresh was working. I have since deleted these connections and lists so I can not retest at this point.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Please have a look this :

http://aanuwizard.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/sharepoint-2010-auto-refreshing-external-data-lookup-column/

I hope this will help you understand how the additional columns added with external data column get refreshed.

MCPD (PRO: Designing and Developing Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Applications; PRO: Designing and Developing Web-based Applications by Using the Microsoft® .NET Framework 2.0) MCTS (SharePoint 2010 / MOSS 2007 - Application Development) MyBlogs:http://aanuwizard.wordpress.com/

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:44 AM