none
Custom Master Page not being Inherited in subsites

Question

• Hi

I have amended the V4.master page, all i have done it to remove the colour BLACK from the div #s4-riboncont tag and replace it with an image, the page saves fine and when published and approved is visible and working correctly on my publishing site.  Now if i create a subsite (a team site) i would expect it to use the same master page, it does not, it loads with a new default version of the V4.master page as its master page.  If i then enable the Publishing Feature on the team site and set the master page to inherit its parent master page, it still does not.  If i go to the home page and set the master page to Reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting, it still does not work.

What am i doing wrong? surely i dont have to customise each V4.master in each site?

Thanks in advance

Sergio

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Also make sure that you check-in the master page, publish a major version, and approve the file first, See the steps below and the complete post in Part 2 link below.

1. Check-in custom.master, publish a major version, and approve the file 
    2. Go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Master Pages and select the new master page, custom.master, for both Site Master Page and System Master Page, and select the checkbox for ‘Reset all subsites to inherit this alternative CSS URL’ (screenshot 15)
    3. Now if you have forgotten to activate the publishing feature for you new subsite with the Team Site template, it will not inherit the custom.master page yet, so go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Manage site features and activate the publishing feature (screenshot 16)
    4. As soon as the feature is activated you should see the new master page and its styles (screenshot 17)

Featured Series of Posts on Branding Options in SharePoint 2010:

0. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Overview
    Why I prefer custom master pages over custom themes in SP 2010

1. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Part 1
    Attaching an alternate style sheet to the master page using the browser’s UI

2. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Part 2
    Attaching an alternate style sheet to the master page using SPD 2010

Hope this helps,

Regards,

David Andrew Smith
    http://davidandrewsmith.us/

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi

you've to specify it as a System Master Page - (http://NAME/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx)

Emmanuel

• Proposed as answer by ramii chinnam Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:35 PM
  • I have set it as the Site Master Page and also as the System Master Page and set both of the Reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting options to yes and it still doesnt update the subsites.  Also on the subsite, i have set the Site and System Master Page option to be, Inherit from Parent.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

I'm faceing same problem.

Did u get any souliton. If yes, then please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks, Sam
    Monday, August 02, 2010 9:10 PM
  • no i have found no solution, i have checked all the settings and everything is telling the system to use the masterpage from my top site but they are not.  I am having to make all customisations to every new site i create.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

I faced the same problem. I just forgot to approve/publish my new masterpage. After I had it made ​​up, there was no warning displayed when I spezified the masterpage (http://NAME/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx) and it worked. So please just recheck the status of the masterpage.

The only thing I have done differently than giustis5 was that I made a copy of v4.master (eg abc.master) at the beginning. Maybe you just give it a try using a masterpage with a diffrent name.

• Proposed as answer by ramii chinnam Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Also make sure that you check-in the master page, publish a major version, and approve the file first, See the steps below and the complete post in Part 2 link below.

1. Check-in custom.master, publish a major version, and approve the file 
    2. Go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Master Pages and select the new master page, custom.master, for both Site Master Page and System Master Page, and select the checkbox for ‘Reset all subsites to inherit this alternative CSS URL’ (screenshot 15)
    3. Now if you have forgotten to activate the publishing feature for you new subsite with the Team Site template, it will not inherit the custom.master page yet, so go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Manage site features and activate the publishing feature (screenshot 16)
    4. As soon as the feature is activated you should see the new master page and its styles (screenshot 17)

Featured Series of Posts on Branding Options in SharePoint 2010:

0. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Overview
    Why I prefer custom master pages over custom themes in SP 2010

1. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Part 1
    Attaching an alternate style sheet to the master page using the browser’s UI

2. SP 2010 Branding Options: Master Pages vs. Themes: Part 2
    Attaching an alternate style sheet to the master page using SPD 2010

Hope this helps,

Regards,

David Andrew Smith
    http://davidandrewsmith.us/

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

I went in and activated the publishing feature on my team sub site and it recognized my system master just like you said in your example.

Is there a way to create a new Team Sub Site under a publishing site and have that Team Sub Site recognize the System Master Page without having to go into the Site Settings and activating the Publishing Feature, after the Team Site is created?

-MK

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

At least, for the sub site you can change master page this way.

Simply navigate to this page:

http://<Parent_Site>/<Actual_Site>/_layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx

And select intended master page.

------------- Thnx Youdhbir

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:30 AM