none
Document library filter by title

Question

• Hello,

I'm pretty new to SharePoint (using 2007) so maybe this a stupid question, but I really don't have a clue.

I created a collaboration site and I'm using the default document library.

I would like to add a filter on the documents title, but when I tried I get the error "this column type cannot be filtered".

I read that you could change the type declaration to make it filterable, but I search all over the place on site and collection setting and I couldn't find it.

Does anyone knows how I could had filter on default title column?

Thanks.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:00 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For a text filter web part, you need to set the connections (web part > edit > connections) for it.

And during connections configuration, you can set the title as the filter column (I have tested it and it is working fine). But this web part just supports full match search function.

The title is system column, so there is no OOTB way to make it filterable.

I think you can create a new column named the title or item title or something similar name and copy the title to this new column. (Using calculated field type)

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:48 AM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For filtering just follow these steps.

Go to Modify this View -->Under Filter--->select 2nd radio button i.e., Show items only when following is true-->Select Title column(show the items when column)--->Then based on your requirement add condition there(like Title is equal to abc)---->Click on OK button.

And go to document library check for your filtering.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:53 AM
  • The title column, if I recall is one that you can't change the type for as its a system column.  Nerubee's suggestion answers your question on how to filter via the title but it doesn't take into account user behaviour, such as someone mistyping a document name, accepting the default "Save As" suggestion and so on.  As such, whilst the technological aspect of your query has been sorted there's a possibility that social behaviours of how people save thier documents will render it an ineffective choice of filter.

My suggestion would be to add a new column, such as a choice field and to populate this with appropriate headings for the manner of documents you'll be looking to upload.  Make this mandatory and filter by this.  You'll be keeping cleaner document tagging and management this way and you can then add the filter via title as a second filter later on if you so desire.

http://www.final-exodus.net
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:00 PM
    Answerer
  • I think I was unclear on my request.

I would like to add a text filter web part connected to my document library in order for user to quickly locate documents which names then know.

Goal here is to have something like quick search function in windows explorer (bring to people what they are used to)

So I don't want exact matches, and definitely not asking for users to tweak the view.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I think that is more what I looking for.

I also thought of creating a custom column which I could filter on, but it seemed a little cumbersome since all the info I want is already in 'title' column.

Can someone here confirm that there is no way to set the type of title column to 'filterable'?

Otherwise can someone suggest how I could automatically populate my custom column with title info?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

For a text filter web part, you need to set the connections (web part > edit > connections) for it.

And during connections configuration, you can set the title as the filter column (I have tested it and it is working fine). But this web part just supports full match search function.

The title is system column, so there is no OOTB way to make it filterable.

I think you can create a new column named the title or item title or something similar name and copy the title to this new column. (Using calculated field type)

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:48 AM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 9:18 AM