none
SharePoint SQL Server installation virtual or physical

Question

• Hi,

what are the recommendation for installing SQL Server 2008 for sharepoint. Should i install SQL Server on physical machine or virtual machine.

What are Microsoft recommendation and what are the reason.

could anyone share link and guide me.

Thanks.

iffi

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi imughal,

Bottom line is you can choose either method.  If you go with a virtual machine you need make sure that the virtual disks being used have separate logical units (LUNS) or separate spindles, that way you can place your logs and data files on truly separate disks.  Generally these days virtual environments are backed by a SAN with RAID support, so this might be happening by default.

Next you should ensure that the SQL server guest OS has memory priority so that there is no memory swapping or resource competing with other guests on the same VM host.

In my opinion...

With today's cloud computing advances I think you are better off with virtual SQL server in a highly available configuration (HA) instead of a physical server with a failover (clustering or mirroring), which forces you to use a third server as witness.

I have worked with either configurations, and most of my clients are using well configured and administered virtual environments for SQL without any issues.

Hope this helps you with some direction.

Anand

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:10 AM