none
Not Receiving Alerts Sharepoint Foundation 2010

    Question

  • I upgraded SharePoint from WSS 3 to SharePoint Foundation 2010 and after many tweaks (most I do not remember) I the upgrade completed.  I am no longer receiving alerts when items change in the calendar, tasks and so on.  I receive an email when I sign up for the alert so the email portion is working fine but nothing when I make an entry or update. 
    Monday, June 28, 2010 4:23 PM

All replies

  • Can you have a look in your Timer Jobs to see if any of them are hung/confused? It may be something as simple as restarting the Timer Jobs Service...

    Troy Lanphier

    http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:00 PM
  • The timer seems fine.  I changed the timer to run under a domain account but no luck so I moved it back to a local account.  I saw a procedure for registering the timer under WSS 3.  I wonder if that is the same for sharepoint foundation?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Take a look at this flow chart. It was build for 2007, but the alerts havn't changed all that much. Also make sure that these are not getting hung up in a spam filter somewhere. I had a case the other day were the notification emails were being sent, but the alerts were being spam blocked.

     

    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:46 PM
  • One thing I am noticing.  The Immediate Alerts Timer is not showing up in the history and is showing N/A for last run.  I clicked the run now button a few times but that doesn't seem to do anything.  I don't think the timer is running.  How can I force this?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 9:41 PM
  • i have the same issue!

    any solution for it ?

    Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Same Problem with SharePoint Standard 2010 after database attach migration from 2007

    If you get your question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an answer.  
    If you are helped by an answer to someone else's question, please mark it as helpful.
    Mike Hacker | Blog: http://blog.mikehacker.net 

    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Also same problem after database attach upgrade from 2007 to SP2010 w/ Aug CU. Found if I changed "Send e-mail when ownership is assigned" in the task lists's Advanced Settings to "No" and then back to "Yes", the e-mails started working for that list. Not looking forward to needing to do this for every list that is suppose to be generating e-mails. So, I'm still looking for a better solution.
    • Edited by PaulE Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:08 PM Add SP2010 version info.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I have found a solution. If you look in the [ImmedSubscriptions] table for your alerts, you'll see that the [SiteUrl] column points to the old url. Changing this to the new url resolves the problem. Unfortunately, the object model doesn't expose this property, so for now I'm forced to change it direcly in the database: UPDATE [ImmedSubscriptions] SET [SiteUrl] = 'http://newurl' WHERE [SiteUrl] = 'http://oldurl'
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Dicker Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:10 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Proposing your own reply as the answer?... :(

    Suggesting to anyone to modify the SharePoint databases?... You've got to be joking!

    Besides, there was no URL change in our upgrade.

    My solution? I wrote a simply little app which went through all web apps, all site collections, all sites, and all task lists and changed the setting from and then back to "Send e-mail when ownership is assigned." That fixed it. And no unsupported messing with the databases!

    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Paul;

    I agree messing with the SQL databases is a bad idea.... to that end.. could you post your code solution ? 


    Thanks in advance Gerald
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:15 PM
  • You want to know the secrect to my Secret Ingredient Soup? I tried to get you to look in the mirror, but... oh, well...

    void ResetEmailEnabledLists()
    {
    	Console.WriteLine("Site URL|List title|List default view URL");
    	foreach (SPWebApplication application in SPWebService.ContentService.WebApplications)
    	{
    		foreach (SPSite site in application.Sites)
    		{
    			using (site)
    			{
    				foreach (SPWeb web in site.AllWebs)
    				{
    					using (web)
    					{
    						foreach (SPList list in web.Lists)
    						{
    							if (list.EnableAssignToEmail)
    							{
    								Console.WriteLine("{0}|{1}|{2}|{3}", web.Url, list.Title, list.DefaultViewUrl, list.ID);
    								list.EnableAssignToEmail = false;
    								list.Update();
    								list.EnableAssignToEmail = true;
    								list.Update();
    							}
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }
    

    I just had this in a console application and piped the output to a log file for a record of what was modified. You must run the console app on the SharePoint server you wish to effect. I recommend running with the Farm Admin account.

    Disclaimer: No warranty or guarantee is given for the code above. Use at your own discretion and risk. Always test in a non-production environment first. If it doesn't work for you, don't ask me; use your own brain!  :)

    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:08 PM