none
Enterprise Search with OneNote 2010

Question

• Hi!

I have problem with searching/not crawling my OneNote files in Document library. How to solve ?

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 Enteprise, which Runs SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Which also have Sharepoint 2010 Server Enterprise, with Enterprise Search site, and Office 2010 Web apps, and Filter Pack 2010.

In one document library i have several .docx files, and .one files, both of them are working in web apps, and only .docx are crawled. I have added iFilter for .pdf and it also works., But still, my .one files are not crawled.

I have tried:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925765 , but this is for 2007 version, and still does not work.

In my Search Service Application > File types > there is .one document with icon :)

Thank you

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• YOu need to download and install the Office 2010 Filter Pack.  It contains the iFilter for OneNote that you need.  Installing the filter pack should be all you need to do.  Unlike the 2007 version there is no need to modify the registry manually.  You can get the filter pack here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5cd4dcd7-d3e6-4970-875e-aba93459fbee

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hi!

Yes, i have installed Microsoft FilterPack 2010 this from this link as I said. Also word, excel, and pdf content search works normally.

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:31 PM
  • That should be all you need.  Have you checked the crawl logs to verify that .one files aren't being crawled successfully?  That would be the next troubleshooting step.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:38 PM
  • When I go to Search Service Appplication > Search Administration > Crawl history for my Sharepoint sites

I have green resulut, but it says:

Crawled ( The filtering process could not load the item. This is possibly caused by an unrecognized item format or item corruption. 0x40d30 )

How can i more troubleshoot this ?

Also how can i restart only enterprise search server service without having to restart whole server?

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:21 PM
  • That error normally points to a problem with the installation of the iFilter, usually in the Registry settings.  Unfortunately, since the 2010 filter pack does those settings for you I haven't been able to find any documentation on what they should look like.

To restart just the Enterprise Search Service simple stop and start the SharePoint Server Search Service 14 using the Services panel on each server.

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Can you tell me which registry key you have at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0\Search\Setup\ContentIndexCommon\Filters\Extension\.one

My is: {61b13552-ae3f-4f9e-9a0e-88650d2c3686}

Regarding to: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ifilter/archive/2008/01/04/errata-for-filter-pack-kb.aspx

it should be different.

I can not find valid value for my OneNote 2010 / Sharepoint enterprise 2010..

Thank you

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:38 PM
  • It works for me.  My registry key in that location is {B8D12492-CE0F-40AD-83EA-099A03D493F1} however. 

ARe you sure you downloaded and installed the 2010 filter pack and are you sure you got the 64bit one?

BTW, the blog article you referenced is for 2007, not 2010.

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Sure, i have double checked, i have installed this from link. 64bit edition.

Yes, i know that i referenced for old article, beacuse i can not find for 2010.

I have modified key, to same as yours, restarted server, runned crawl, and still same error.

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Sorry, don't know what else to tell you.  I think its probably time to try Product Support.  As I said its working fine on my system using that FilterPack and registry key.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:47 PM
  • I see,

anyway, as I sait, .docx, .pptx etc. are working normaly .. :(

Only i have this error on one note file:

http://mysharepointsite/nmtest/new section 1.one  

Crawled ( The filtering process could not load the item. This is possibly caused by an unrecognized item format or item corruption. 0x40d30 )

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I have solved this:

- Uninstall/Remove Microsoft Filter pack 2.0 (ignore openned files by Search service)

- Install Microsoft Filter pack 2.0 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5cd4dcd7-d3e6-4970-875e-aba93459fbee

- reboot server

- started full crawl of my content source (sharepoint sites)

- monitoring with Crawl log for .one files

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:55 PM
  • So the solution was to uninstall and re-install what I told you to install in my first post.  I'm not sure why the original install didn't work, but I'm glad you got it fixed.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:24 PM
  • I have this installed before, because i have Exchange 2010 SP1 on same server, and i think this is requirment for exchange and/or Sharepoint, first installation completed without errors..., i have checked all registry keys, and last what i could do is to try reinstall Filter Pack, which obviously helped :)

Thank you once more for your time and help :)

-- Hrvoje Kusulja
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:27 PM
  • The prior Exchange installation explains the issue.  The filter Pack needs to be installed AFTER SharePoint for it to work with SharePoint.  If its installed prior to SharePoint then the installation program doesn't register it with SharePoint.  that's why uninstalling it and re-installing it fixed it.  It is required for both Exchange and SharePoint, but it has to be installed after both are in place for both of them to know that its there.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I, too, had an old Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0 installed. Didn't realize this until after I ran the installer for the 2010 Filter Pack 64-bit. The installer acted kind of funny (i.e. it didn't show me anything and just disappeared on it's own without a "successfull install" message of any kind), but the Event Viewer showed a successfull install and the registry key talked about herein showed the same value given by Paul Stork ("{B8D12492-CE0F-40AD-83EA-099A03D493F1}").

It wasn't until I restarted the Search Service (I used "net stop osearch14 & net start osearch14" from a command prompt), though, that the new filters took effect.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:20 PM