none
How to keep Office from storing SharePoint metadata in the document

Question

• We have a template library where users are supposed to copy these documents, rename them, and store them in their own project library. The problem is that Office stores the SharePoint metadata in the document. This is a huge problem because we have our own document numbering system we implemented, but when a template is copied to another library, both documents will have the same number. This happens with all types of metadata fields we use. It happens for Office 2007 and 2010. It happens if you open a document and do a Save As or do Send To > Download a Copy. How can we stop this behavior?
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:17 PM

Answers

• I haven't been able to find any answers to my issue, so I think the workaround I am going to go with is to implement my own "Copy To" feature. I will give the users a way to copy a document from one library to another and be sure it strips all metadata along the way. 
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to copy documents from a library to other libraries and don’t keep the managed metadata in the original library. I have a test based on your description, the managed metadata column doesn’t get copied to other library if you are using Down load  a copy. When copying the documents directly in the Manage Content and Structures page, the managed metadata column value will be kept in the destination library.

If you are talking about document id feature, the document id will be changed when you copy a document to anther destination. When it comes to move, the document id doesn’t change.

If I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Yes I want to be able to copy documents without copying any metadata (not just managed metadata). Also I'm not talking about the document ID feature. That feature does work correctly. It's all the other metadata that keeps getting copied along with the document. In our environment, when you do Send To -> Download a Copy, it will still copies the metadata. With the document on my desktop, I can go into File > Properties and see the metadata fields and values. If I upload this file to another library using the same content type, it will copy those embedded values into the content type properties. If this is not the behavior that other people are seeing, then it might be something on my computer or a server setting or something to stop this behavior. I'm just not sure where to look.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:56 PM
  • I haven't been able to find any answers to my issue, so I think the workaround I am going to go with is to implement my own "Copy To" feature. I will give the users a way to copy a document from one library to another and be sure it strips all metadata along the way. 
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:25 PM