none
Profile Pictures showing as broken images

Question

• I noticed today that all of the people that have added profile pictures are now showing as the broken image "red X". I checked the User Photos library located in the root mysite site collection and all 60 people that have added their images show up as a broken image. I tried re-uploading my own image and it completed without issue, the entry in the library updated with today's date but again broken image.

My farm has been running great and the only thing that has change recently is I applied the ClaimAuth KB update that central admin was having a fit about. I'm going to dig thru the logs and see if there's any info but thus far I haven't found much.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• This is the update I installed on my boxes: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB979917 Going to remove it and see if that does anything.

Trying to use the URL to directly open images fails.

What's weird is pictures were working fine a week or two ago. We configured AD to Sync out pictures so they'd appear in Outlook and Lync. I tried running the command that Jhohensinn suggested but that didn't do anything. If you upload a user pic you can see it update the entry in the user profile pic library but no files are being output.

• Marked as answer by Nick.Ortiz Monday, October 25, 2010 6:00 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Removing the update and rebooting my WFE appears to have resolved the issue.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• i think you could get the url from the "red X" image.

can you open the url/link in IE directly by entering?

Everything will be fine.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Hello,

did you upload .PNG-Pictures? Some attributes of .PNG-Files can't be handled. Try  a .JPG, .GIF, etc..

Another issue might be that the ProfilePhotoStore-locatoin is incorrect - did you e.g. upgraded the MySites from 2007 and maybe forgot to update the Location?:

Update-SPProfilePhotoStore -MySiteHostLocation <URL of the My Site Host>

BR

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:47 AM
  • This is the update I installed on my boxes: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB979917 Going to remove it and see if that does anything.

Trying to use the URL to directly open images fails.

What's weird is pictures were working fine a week or two ago. We configured AD to Sync out pictures so they'd appear in Outlook and Lync. I tried running the command that Jhohensinn suggested but that didn't do anything. If you upload a user pic you can see it update the entry in the user profile pic library but no files are being output.

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Removing the update and rebooting my WFE appears to have resolved the issue.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:00 PM