none
stand alone to farm

Question

• Hi,

I currently have a SharePoint 2010 standalone server. How do i convert it into a server farm. are there any limitation on the SQL Server editions.

Anusha

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When I searched, I found this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/455db9ae-94b6-4dd7-9150-a9506ce19652

Generally, if you know the changes in the configuration of your exisiting standalone farm, stand the new farm, recreate the applications and migrate the content databases. Please plan the migration enough.

Was your standalone SharePoint server serving as PRODUCTION? In that case you have to plan downtime.

Since the standalone server had SQL Server express edition which is a scaled down version, I think the limitations you had with the standalone server will go away when you migrate. Best will be if you have SQL server R2 enterprise edition.

Thanks, Soumya | MCITP, SharePoint 2010

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, April 20, 2012 7:24 AM
    Monday, April 09, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

You can Create SharePoint Server Farm but make sure your Data base Server will the the same or higher of the previous standalone DataBase Server Version. ( you canot restore database from Higher version to lower verion :))

Take the DB backup of the Content DB of Web Applicaiton of StandAlone Farm

Create new Webapp at New Farm and mount backup of database to webapplication. (Please dont create site collection on new web app).

Once you will restore the Data base then you can see same site collections and sub site structure at new farm.

For other services it will be quite difficult to make working by DB backup. So my advice is create new services at new Farm

Thanks

Gyan

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When I searched, I found this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/455db9ae-94b6-4dd7-9150-a9506ce19652

Generally, if you know the changes in the configuration of your exisiting standalone farm, stand the new farm, recreate the applications and migrate the content databases. Please plan the migration enough.

Was your standalone SharePoint server serving as PRODUCTION? In that case you have to plan downtime.

Since the standalone server had SQL Server express edition which is a scaled down version, I think the limitations you had with the standalone server will go away when you migrate. Best will be if you have SQL server R2 enterprise edition.

Thanks, Soumya | MCITP, SharePoint 2010

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

You can Create SharePoint Server Farm but make sure your Data base Server will the the same or higher of the previous standalone DataBase Server Version. ( you canot restore database from Higher version to lower verion :))

Take the DB backup of the Content DB of Web Applicaiton of StandAlone Farm

Create new Webapp at New Farm and mount backup of database to webapplication. (Please dont create site collection on new web app).

Once you will restore the Data base then you can see same site collections and sub site structure at new farm.

For other services it will be quite difficult to make working by DB backup. So my advice is create new services at new Farm

Thanks

Gyan

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:51 PM