none
List does not exist error on Discussion list - has worked before

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a SharePoint 2010 project for a client which all of a sudden is experiencing problems with Discussion lists on most of their project sub sites. When trying to view or edit a thread or start a new thread, the following error occurs (taken from the ULS log):

Unexpected System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: List does not exist.  The page you selected contains a list that does not exist.  It may have been deleted by another user.    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetListFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, Boolean bPrefetchRelatedFields, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetL... 3f69ec4f-8724-4eb3-85e5-7c8c19adcd6c

..istFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, Boolean bPrefetchRelatedFields, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount) 3f69ec4f-8724-4eb3-85e5-7c8c19adcd6c

This occurs on all sub sites I've tried, except for one.

I also get an error when I try to go to the List Settings page (and the List Permissions page) for the list(s) in question. The ULS log looks a little bit different:
    System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.    at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.CBaseAclPage.ParseAclObj(String str)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.CBaseAclPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) c18a31c9-da46-49e1-b640-57b2f6c05769 

Some more background info:

The sub sites where this error occurs are sites that are created with code, based on a "save site as template"-template. The error started occuring just a couple of weeks ago, and the system has been in production-state for months without any problems of this kind.

The discussion lists are out-of-the-box, no customization what so ever. No custom fields, no event receivers. 

There are web parts (OOTB) that show data from the Discussion lists without problems. Also, going to a list view page for the lists works just fine. So, it seems to me that any page that shows info about a list that takes the list's GUID as a query string parameter will fail. The list view pages don't take any GUID arguments, just the name of the list like this /Lists/Discussion/AllItems.aspx.

Weird!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be, an better yet, a solution to fix the problem?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: I'm unable to access the lists in question using SharePoint Designer 2010 also.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:04 AM

Answers

• Did you check some one deleted the list ? Verify it by checking in Recycle bins in both site/sitecollection levels. IMHO, Saving a site as template and pushing to production is not a good practice. please try to avoid this.
    Aravind http://aravindrises.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, July 01, 2011 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:39 PM