none
why was my thread marked as answered and locked?

Answers

• First of all two apologies. My moderator rights were removed yesterday which means both that there was a longer delay than usual in responding to your post and also that I no longer have the rights needed to fix it by unlocking the thread.

Secondly an explanation of when I locked threads (now past tense!) and why.

I locked threads only [with rare exceptions for very old threads] when the OP (original poster - i.e. in this case you) had either marked a reply as an answer or had otherwise indicated in a reply that he had had the answer to his question.

In this case I was picking up on a) "thank you" and b) "that seems to be the answer" which probably appears to you to not be enough but on experience often meant the OP will not reply back in a thread when it does actually as expected by him prove to be the answer.

As to why locking. There were two reasons.

One was to avoid thread spread. There have been many cases where having had his question answered the OP decides to ask a completely different question in the same thread; there have been many more cases where even years later someone else comes into the thread with a new question (and recently that new question has often been an off-topic SP 2010 question).

Secondly to give some idea to forum users that a thread has already been solved. The MS Chinese moderators often mark threads as answers because the OP has not replied in the thread for 2-3 days. They assume this means he has his answer in the thread but often that isn't the case. So with locked threads meaning questions the OP has said are solved and "answered" threads indicating that a thread *might* have been solved, there's a clear difference.

Again I apologise for jumping the gun in this case as far as you are concerned and also for not myself being able to unlock your thread.

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Marked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:42 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:00 AM

All replies

• First of all two apologies. My moderator rights were removed yesterday which means both that there was a longer delay than usual in responding to your post and also that I no longer have the rights needed to fix it by unlocking the thread.

Secondly an explanation of when I locked threads (now past tense!) and why.

I locked threads only [with rare exceptions for very old threads] when the OP (original poster - i.e. in this case you) had either marked a reply as an answer or had otherwise indicated in a reply that he had had the answer to his question.

In this case I was picking up on a) "thank you" and b) "that seems to be the answer" which probably appears to you to not be enough but on experience often meant the OP will not reply back in a thread when it does actually as expected by him prove to be the answer.

As to why locking. There were two reasons.

One was to avoid thread spread. There have been many cases where having had his question answered the OP decides to ask a completely different question in the same thread; there have been many more cases where even years later someone else comes into the thread with a new question (and recently that new question has often been an off-topic SP 2010 question).

Secondly to give some idea to forum users that a thread has already been solved. The MS Chinese moderators often mark threads as answers because the OP has not replied in the thread for 2-3 days. They assume this means he has his answer in the thread but often that isn't the case. So with locked threads meaning questions the OP has said are solved and "answered" threads indicating that a thread *might* have been solved, there's a clear difference.

Again I apologise for jumping the gun in this case as far as you are concerned and also for not myself being able to unlock your thread.

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Marked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by emjem Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:42 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Thanks Mike

stuff happens! I am just glad I hadn't transgresed in some way that I was unaware of. I am pretty new here and want to be a good citizen.

I marked your response as answer, then couldn't enter this acknowledgement. Now I've entered this I will mark your very reasonable explanation as answered.

Thanks again.

Mark

Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:42 PM