none
Is there a way to create a List based on Permissions?

Question

• So is there a way to create a list...and have a dropdown box that is auto populated by folks that have permission to the site?  I don't want to have to use Terms...I'd like to just give permission to a user and then their name would appear as an option in a dropdown box....example:

A HelpDesk Ticket list...a have a column that is called "Tech"  I want the Tech column to be a dropdown selection of all the tech's that have permission to the site.  That way when I hire a new tech, I just make sure he has permission to the site and his name will now appear in the dropdown.....Make sense?

Thanks!

-SuperDale

-SuperDale

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, first set up permissions for the site. If this list needs to have a separate permissions, you can disinherit this list permissions from the site's permissions. 

Then change this column type to drop-down and enter your choices for this drop-down field. 

People selection, the column type would be "person". They you can select people who are approved.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:31 PM
  • I don't think "auto populated by folks that have permission to the site" is Out Of The Box from SharePoint but I may have one suggestion for you.

1. When you grant permissions to this list. Use a SharePoint group, don't grant permission to individuals. Instead, add individuals to a SharePoint group and then grant permission to that group. Easy maintenance.
    2. Then you can get all users from this SharePoint group. http://sharepointrookie.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/get-user-collection-from-a-sharepoint-group/

Hope this works.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I'm trying to avoid the "enter your choices" part...I want the drop down to auto populate with the folks that have permissions.

-SuperDale

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:38 PM