none
Determining total folder size inside of SharePoint 2007 libraries/lists

Pertanyaan

• Is there an easy, out of the box way to determine the total file size of a library/sub-folders inside of SharePoint 2007?  I can get the total size of all the items in a particular location, but I cannot get the totals from sub-folders.  I need to determine library and list sizes, but not sure of an efficient way to go about it (looking at each sub folder seems way to time consuming).  I am not sure if there is a way to do this inside of SharePoint, or SQL, or if a 3rd party tool would be needed.  Thanks!

Brandon
    19 Januari 2010 17:13

Jawaban

• Hi,

Yes, there is a way of using view to get the total file size of a library/sub-folders inside of SharePoint 2007.

Here are the detailed steps to create the view:

1.       Create a new view “FileSize” and edit it.

2.       Make sure you check the File Size column in Columns section.

3.       In the Totals section, choose Sum for File Size column.

4.       In the Folders section, choose Show all items without folders.

5.       Save the changes.

If you want to get the total size of a library, switch to FileSize view to the at library level.

If you want to get the total size of a sub-folder in the library, first navigate to the sub-folder and then switch to FileSize view.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    21 Januari 2010 2:13

Semua Balasan

• did you try Explorer View to access folder properties with Explorer context menu?
    19 Januari 2010 17:21
  • You can go to the site settings and go to "storage space allocation", (incase quota is specified) and see the total size of the library there.

Thanks!
    I LOVE MS..... Warm Regards, Kshitiz Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    19 Januari 2010 17:27
  • Thanks to the two replies so far...

Explorer View does work, but is EXTREMELY slow.  I don't know if that is something with our environment or something that is just a by-product of being a SharePoint site (as opposed to a normal file share), but browsing/looking at properties from an Explorer window is much slower than navigating from the website or when browsing a normal share. But it does give me the information.

The quota piece is interesting..  we don't use quota limits today.  I know our entire site collection has used 20 GB storage total (seen from Central Admin - Application Management - Site Collection Quotas and Locks).  So if I were to enable quota and set it to a high enough amount as to not effect anything, would i then be able to go to each department site within my site collection and have the "Storage Space Allocation" menu option (I don't have it currently, but I assume that is because I don't have quotas) show me how much each sub-site is using of that 20 GB?  And would enabling quotas cause any downtime or service interruption?

Thanks!

Brandon
    19 Januari 2010 20:08
  • Hi,

Yes, there is a way of using view to get the total file size of a library/sub-folders inside of SharePoint 2007.

Here are the detailed steps to create the view:

1.       Create a new view “FileSize” and edit it.

2.       Make sure you check the File Size column in Columns section.

3.       In the Totals section, choose Sum for File Size column.

4.       In the Folders section, choose Show all items without folders.

5.       Save the changes.

If you want to get the total size of a library, switch to FileSize view to the at library level.

If you want to get the total size of a sub-folder in the library, first navigate to the sub-folder and then switch to FileSize view.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    21 Januari 2010 2:13
  • I set this up as you said and I'm getting an error on the page saying <!-- #RENDER FAILED -->. I drilled down a few levels and tried again and I did get a successful view. Is it possible that there is a maximum size that can be calculated? I used the Explorer view and found that the one I was getting the error on is about 4.45 GB. I have some that are quite a bit bigger though and I'm trying to speed up the process instead of using Explorer View. Is there something I can change to successfully utilize this view you've suggested?

Joel

21 Juni 2012 19:46