none
Different list choices depending on user?

คำถาม

• Hi,

First off....NEWBIE alert!  I can follow most menus, wizards etc, but I don't understand code so if you give me some you'll need to tell me exactly where to stick it :-)

I have a list that will be accessed by approx 30 users. One of the columns is called "Location" and this is a choice field with approx 20 choices.  But for certain users, I want only some choices to be available.  For example if User1 logs in, I want him to be able to choose ONLY between Locations 1,2 and 5.  But if User2 logs in, I want her to be able to select from Locations 2,4,5,6 and 15. 

Is this possible?  Where would I set up these rules?

Thank you.

28 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 9:13

คำตอบ

• Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Well first create a list "Location List" in whih you create the column "Location" where you will store all the location information. Next go to your main list where you want to use the "Location" column and under that list settings select "Create column" option in that select the "Lookup option". You will get the option where you can select the "Location List" and the colum "Location" in it. Click OK to save the list....

And regarding item leve permissions.... Select one item from the "Location List" and the drop down menu has the options "Manage Permissions" select the option and use ca set the permissions for each item.

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Ryco9367 29 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 10:21
    28 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 12:01

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hello Mr.NewBie,

For your problem I suggest you to follow this example. First create a new list where you save this "Location" options. Then on those options set the "item" level permissions and restrcit the users accordingly. Now use the lookup column in your main list. So since you have applied the item level permissions the choice options will be restricted according to user login.

For item level permissions there are some videos in youtube...you can have a look... :)

28 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 10:03
  • Thank you - creating a lookup field is a good idea.  I should have thought of that.  I do know how to create a lookup field, but should I have only the "Location" column in this, or do I need two columns like this

User1  Location1

User1  Location2

User1  Location5

User2  Location2

User2  Location4

etc.

I will search for item level permissions on youtube but I will have to do that at home tonight because youtube is blocked here at work.

Thank you very much for your help. 

28 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 10:36
  • Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Well first create a list "Location List" in whih you create the column "Location" where you will store all the location information. Next go to your main list where you want to use the "Location" column and under that list settings select "Create column" option in that select the "Lookup option". You will get the option where you can select the "Location List" and the colum "Location" in it. Click OK to save the list....

And regarding item leve permissions.... Select one item from the "Location List" and the drop down menu has the options "Manage Permissions" select the option and use ca set the permissions for each item.

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Ryco9367 29 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 10:21
    28 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 12:01
  • Hi,

Thank you so much for your help.  I did know how to create the lookup list and then use it in the main list, but I thought maybe I needed to define the "permissions" as DATA in that list, which is what I was trying to say before.  I've doine thinigs that way in MS Access before.

I hadn't realised you could manage permissions directly from the drop-down menu of the list item.  That's really good.  I've got this working now and have tested it with two users and it seems OK.  I need to add all the other items and specify permissions for each one, then test it again, but it's looking good so far.

Thanks a lot - you've been a big help! 

29 กุมภาพันธ์ 2555 10:21