none
Problem with backup

Dotaz

• I have maintenance plan for backing up all database, and it function perfect for 4 mounts.

No suddenly stop, when i execute give error about step 1 ( which is to backup all database) BACK up TYPE = FULL

My question is: Some of the database are on simple recovery mode (master and msdb also), so i don't know, do i need to set all database to FULL recovery mode if i do backup try maintenance plan for all database.

22. února 2012 8:53

Všechny reakce

• i Get this error in event viewer

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'H:\Backup\master_backup_201202221001.bak'. Operating system error 1117(error not found).

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE master. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

22. února 2012 9:03
  • Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE master. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.
    Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia:  failure on backup device 'H:\Backup\master_backup_201202221001.bak'. Operating system error 1117(error not found).

This is error from error log

Thank's

22. února 2012 9:15
  • Hi,

Is the H:\Backup location a local disk drive on the SQL server? Can you write to that location with the SQL server service account and the SQL agent service account - logon as those account and try to create a new text file in H:\Backup.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

22. února 2012 9:24
  • Hi ,

You dont need to set those to full recovery mode. There is no constraint like that.

The error that you are having Operating system error 1117 means "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.".

Are you trying to backup it to the local disk or to any other media? Try to backup it to a local disk. If you are trying to backup to a network location or USB etc you might get this error due to the network inconsistencies.

HTH

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.wordpress.com

22. února 2012 9:26
  • Hi ,

You dont need to set those to full recovery mode. There is no constraint like that.

The error that you are having Operating system error 1117 means "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.".

Are you trying to backup it to the local disk or to any other media? Try to backup it to a local disk. If you are trying to backup to a network location or USB etc you might get this error due to the network inconsistencies.

HTH

I backup all databse to local drive.

I see error on drive like

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

So is it bad disk, so i can tell my boss to bay another one, or is something bad with sql server 2008 ( i doubt)

22. února 2012 9:31
  • Can you write files to H:\Backup outside of SQL? It sounds like a bad disk. To test its not SQL setup a backup to backup to another location and test that it works.

22. února 2012 9:34
  • I set backup to other disk and give same error?
    22. února 2012 10:25
  • Can you write files to H:\Backup outside of SQL? It sounds like a bad disk. To test its not SQL setup a backup to backup to another location and test that it works.

I get backup to other disk, and know i have problem with Remote connection after logon i see only blue screen.
    22. února 2012 10:49
  • There seems to be some problem with the disk. Can you check the event logs to confirm this?

You should gget similar errors in the event logs. Contact your sysadmins and ask them to do a chckdisk.

22. února 2012 12:46
  • I think is disk because i back up to other local disk, so am gone change backup disk

Thank's

22. února 2012 12:46
  • There seems to be some problem with the disk. Can you check the event logs to confirm this?

You should gget similar errors in the event logs. Contact your sysadmins and ask them to do a chckdisk.

I see errors for disk on event logs, now i run some test to see if disk is ok.
    22. února 2012 15:32
  • I would also encourage you to utilize the server administration tools to diagnose hardware and disk errors. For example, HP, Dell, and Cisco boxes have administrative web portals that allows one to access and assess the overall health of the hardware, including disk health and error statistics. 

I do not encourage DBAs to rely solely on what the OS is indicating. Usually the OS and SQL Server instance are the last components to identify a failure in hardware.

A failure in the disk might actually indicate a hardware failure in the RAID controller. CHKDSK will help with potentially some types of errors.

27. května 2013 2:03