none
How to use data mining

Dotaz

• Hi

I have some questions about data mining.

• Is it a solution, tool or it is some procedures?
    • How can I use its algorithms to analyze data and then show the results?
    • Is there any client tool?
    • Can I develop software for e.g. something using visual studio to show the results to the users?
    • Is there any real case study or sample?
    • Where should I use DMX?

Thanks

27. února 2012 8:56

Odpovědi

• Hi,

data mining is more a scientific field. For more information you should have a look at wikipedia.

There are many tools for doing data mining. From Microsoft you can use the data mining capabilities of SQL Server.

The algorithms you're using are dependent on your requirements (and the tool, because not every tool is using the algorithms like in others).

For client tools you just have to search the web. An example is SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). Here you can display results in a report. Most of this work will be done in the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). You can also develop application with Visual Studio, for example web applications, in which reports are embedded.

You can find some tutorial for data mining with SQL Server in the SQL Server Books Online.

DMX can be used in varient situations. You can use it for example to query your mining model from a report.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

27. února 2012 16:41

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

data mining is more a scientific field. For more information you should have a look at wikipedia.

There are many tools for doing data mining. From Microsoft you can use the data mining capabilities of SQL Server.

The algorithms you're using are dependent on your requirements (and the tool, because not every tool is using the algorithms like in others).

For client tools you just have to search the web. An example is SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). Here you can display results in a report. Most of this work will be done in the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). You can also develop application with Visual Studio, for example web applications, in which reports are embedded.

You can find some tutorial for data mining with SQL Server in the SQL Server Books Online.

DMX can be used in varient situations. You can use it for example to query your mining model from a report.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

27. února 2012 16:41
  • Hi Farhad

I think you might find it useful to start with watching a  few data mining demonstrations. Here is an example here is  one on using data mining algorithms to make predictions

http://www.analyticsinaction.com/decision-tree-algorithm-excel-data-mining/

Hope this helps as a starting point

Steve 

28. února 2012 20:26