none
logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect checksum: Single Table

Question

• Hi I hope someone can help me.

Our SQL 2005 express database seems to be working fine until we try to access a particular table and then we get the following error:

"Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space or a system table is inconsistent. Check previous errors.
    Msg 824, Level 24, State 2, Line 1
    SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect checksum (expected: 0x576c398b; actual: 0x536c398b). It occurred during a read of page (1:4855) in database ID 8 at offset 0x000000025ee000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\xxxx.mdf:MSSQL_DBCC8'.  Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online".

If I try to run DBCC CheckDB or CheckTable (dbcc checktable('tablename','REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS') with ALL_errormsgs;), I get the error message above. I tried to drop the table, but it has a pk, so when I try to alter, I get the error again!

Is there any way I can recover the database, with or without the damaged table?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cameron

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi cameron,

Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space or a system table is inconsistent.

This problem occurs if the DBCC CHECKDB command cannot perform the necessary checks to confirm the consistency of the database. To work around this problem, use the TABLOCK hint with the DBCC CHECKDB command. This lets the DBCC CHECKDB command finish without generating the error message. Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960791.

The 824 error message usually indicates that there is a problem with underlying storage system or the hardware or a driver that is in the path of the I/O request. You can encounter this error when there are inconsistencies in the file system or if the database file is damaged.

Look for Hardware Failure:

Run hardware diagnostics and correct any problems. Also examine the Microsoft Windows system and application logs and the SQL Server error log to see whether the error occurred because of hardware failure. Fix any hardware-related problems that are contained in the logs.

If you have persistent data corruption problems, try to swap out different hardware components to isolate the problem. Check to make sure that the system does not have write-caching enabled on the disk controller. If you suspect write-caching to be the problem, contact your hardware vendor.

Finally, you might find it useful to switch to a new hardware system. This switch may include reformatting the disk drives and reinstalling the operating system.

Restore from Backup:

If the problem is not hardware-related and a known clean backup is available, restore the database from the backup.
    Consider changing the databases to use the PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM option.

For more information, please refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2015756
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337274.aspx.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi cameron,

Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space or a system table is inconsistent.

This problem occurs if the DBCC CHECKDB command cannot perform the necessary checks to confirm the consistency of the database. To work around this problem, use the TABLOCK hint with the DBCC CHECKDB command. This lets the DBCC CHECKDB command finish without generating the error message. Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960791.

The 824 error message usually indicates that there is a problem with underlying storage system or the hardware or a driver that is in the path of the I/O request. You can encounter this error when there are inconsistencies in the file system or if the database file is damaged.

Look for Hardware Failure:

Run hardware diagnostics and correct any problems. Also examine the Microsoft Windows system and application logs and the SQL Server error log to see whether the error occurred because of hardware failure. Fix any hardware-related problems that are contained in the logs.

If you have persistent data corruption problems, try to swap out different hardware components to isolate the problem. Check to make sure that the system does not have write-caching enabled on the disk controller. If you suspect write-caching to be the problem, contact your hardware vendor.

Finally, you might find it useful to switch to a new hardware system. This switch may include reformatting the disk drives and reinstalling the operating system.

Restore from Backup:

If the problem is not hardware-related and a known clean backup is available, restore the database from the backup.
    Consider changing the databases to use the PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM option.

For more information, please refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2015756
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337274.aspx.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi Maggie

Thanks for your help. We believe the problem was hardware based (disk), thanks for identifying the error code.

Regards fixing the data, we have tried everything you have said and more as the client had a 2 week old backup only! We never managed to gain access to the data however, so ended up re-entering the last 2 weeks on the backup.

Thanks for you help and also prompt response.

Cameron

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:48 PM