none
DAXMD: Selecting a Dimension with UnknownMember results in permanent 25% CPU Usage

Question

• Hi,

I'm using the CTP of DAXMD. When I'm selecting a specific Dimension as Filter in Powerview, the the CPU usage inrease to 25 % permanently and I get no results. Only Solution was to restart the whole Server. The Statement looks like :

EVALUATE
      FILTER(KEEPFILTERS(SUMMARIZE(
                                         VALUES('User')
                                         , 'User'[USER AD CD.UniqueName]
                                        , 'User'[USER AD CD]))
       ,NOT(ISBLANK('User'[USER AD CD.UniqueName]))
      ) ORDER BY
      'User'[USER AD CD], 'User'[USER AD CD.UniqueName]

When I remove the 'User'[USER AD CD] from the Order clause all works fine. I realized also that this Dimension has an UnknownMember and the Errorconfiguration set to ConvertToUnknown. When I remove the UnknownMember from the Dimension, it also seems to work.

Did somebody know whether this is only a bug in CTP or not?

thanx

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:10 AM

Answers

• After my last comment, I thought I fixed my problem. So I fixed all Measuregroup Bindings in my Solution, but I ran into the same Problem. Compared both solution-> Difference was that in my User Dimension I only loaded 1 Member. 

Tommorrow build up a clean solution from scratch and see what happens. Conclusion: NEVER NEVER use the Import SSAS Database Template again.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Microsoft confirmed that it is a bug and will be fixed in SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU6 (expected end of September 2013)
    • Marked as answer by yger Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 AM

All replies

• The final release version of DAXMD is out. Can you try it on the final release version?

Unfortunately it's not supported to upgrade your existing CTP SSAS instance, but you can uninstall, install a new instance, apply the SP1 CU4 patch, then redeploy your model.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/analysisservices/archive/2013/05/31/power-view-connectivity-for-multidimensional-models-released.aspx

http://artisconsulting.com/Blogs/GregGalloway

• Marked as answer by yger Friday, June 14, 2013 8:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by yger Friday, June 14, 2013 11:27 AM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:38 PM
  • I've installed the CU4 and tested on a sample DB on my Laptop. Worked fine. But today we upgraded our TestSystem to CU4 and have already the same issue. I will still further investigate and let u know.
    Friday, June 14, 2013 11:29 AM
  • I've installed the CU4 and tested on a sample DB on my Laptop. Worked fine. But today we upgraded our TestSystem to CU4 and have already the same issue. I will still further investigate and let u know.

Hi yger,

Any update about this issue? Please let us know how things go.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:59 AM
  • It seems that I've found now the problem. I removed every Object One by One from the cube  until I had only 3 Dimensions which I needed (Time, Intermeditate and User). Nothing changed. In my User Dimension was only 1 Member left. No changes. Finally I take a look into the Measure Group Binding Dialog of the User Dimension. There the Dimension Attributes (except the Key Attribute) mapped to a Measuregroup Column which doesn't exist. I changed back to Inherited from Dimension and it worked. Checking now all Mappings, try a full process and take a look. Keep u uptodate. But how could this defect mappings happen?

KR Jürgen

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Looks like the issue comes from Importing the Database into a Solution
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:03 AM
  • After my last comment, I thought I fixed my problem. So I fixed all Measuregroup Bindings in my Solution, but I ran into the same Problem. Compared both solution-> Difference was that in my User Dimension I only loaded 1 Member. 

Tommorrow build up a clean solution from scratch and see what happens. Conclusion: NEVER NEVER use the Import SSAS Database Template again.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:56 PM
  • What did the Import Analysis Services Database procedure in SSDT do wrong? I have seen in the past that it fills in redundant columns on KeyColumns and NameColumn (meaning you only specified KeyColumn when you deployed, but when you reverse engineer it shows both KeyColumns and NameColumn filled in). Are there other seemingly innocuous changes it makes? What version of SSDT do you have (see the Analysis Services version from the Help... About Microsoft Visual Studio menu)?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:58 AM
  • I've seen these differences with the NameColumn also.

At my Customer I have

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

At my Laptop I Have

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

Tested it on Both environments, same Issue

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:13 PM
  • I'm glad you figured out the problem. But I'm still not clear what happened. What exactly did the Import Database wizard do wrong? What exactly did the measure group binding dialog look like before and after you fixed it? You mentioned an intermediate table. Did you have a reference relationship or a many-to-many? Was the unknown member on before and after? Was the unknown member on for the intermediate dimension and user dimension? Just trying to reproduce the problem and report it. If you can upload a repro project to https://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver/feedback we can lobby for a fix.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:22 PM
  • We opened a SupportCall at Microsoft. Keep u uptodate.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Microsoft confirmed that it is a bug and will be fixed in SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU6 (expected end of September 2013)
    • Marked as answer by yger Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 AM
  • KB 2872946
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:37 AM