none
System out of memory issues Resolutions ? Make SSRS consume entire memory ?

Question

• Team ,  Can some one advise ?

I have  some reports timing out ..Fairy a small one and  not able to handle  data around  50,000 rows to <75,000

SSRS 2005 Version :4 GB RAM .

Customer is not wiling to upgrade the RAM  due to some constriants  , They wanted to run these reports does'nt matter if it's going more than an hour but should execute in sucess without  timing out .

I tried increasing Query time out  ( infinite .. But Query return results in less than 5 mins ) and Report processing time out to a huge number but nothing helps ..Reports time out after processing for around 10-15 mins .

So are there any  other  settings which can be modified in SSRS  report server configuration  files   to tell Report Server to consume all the existing memory  and get the reports executed in success ?? This server is dedicated for reports with no other application running on it .

Thanks in advance for your pointers .

Rajkumar Yelugu

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Friday, February 01, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Will you be able to  advise if  changing these values MemoryLimit and MaximumMemoryLimit helps some way ?

There is no option for us to  Increase the RAM !

The memory limits are a set of settings to help protect the system from potentially destabilizing conditions. For example, the memory limits help prevent a report server process from using too much memory. The memory limits are specified through the MemoryLimit setting and through the MaximumMemoryLimit setting that are defined in the RSReportServer.config file. When the memory limits are reached, errors are raised by the Microsoft .NET Framework before SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services actually runs out of memory.

Thank you !

Rajkumar Yelugu

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:32 AM
  • First of all I would start to optimize the queries generate the report (lack of indexes,scalar udf and etc).

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:43 AM
  • It has nothing to do with Queries .. The Query just runs fine in a noticeable time .

My only Question is how to tell the  Report Server to consume all the existsing memory  and never time out the report(s) , no deal if the reports are going to run taking some time but should run in sucess without timing out .

I'd highly appreciate everyone's pointers over this .

Thank you !

Rajkumar Yelugu

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:05 PM
  • What is this server running?

Just SSRS?

Or SSRS + SQL +SSIS + SSAS + other stuff?

4 Gb RAM should be enough for SSRS alone, but probably not for the whole SQL bunch (Database + Reports + Integration Services + OLAP)

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:08 PM
  • ONLY SQL+SSRS .

Thanks !

Rajkumar Yelugu

Friday, February 08, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

1. Are you running on a 32-bits or a 64-bits OS?

2. How much memory you allocated to SQL Server?

3. Please, post your memory config values from RSReportServer.config

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Friday, February 08, 2013 7:26 PM