none
odbc administrator system error code 193

Question

• I am trying to create data soucre using microsoft odbc administrator.  I am running Windows 7 business 64 bit version.  I have oracle 11g 64 bit instant client and the 64 bit ODBC drivers installed.   The driver shows up when I click add but then I get a messages saying "The setup routines for the Oracle in instantclient11_1 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 193.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Answers

• This error code means this:

ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
    193 (0xC1)

%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

If you are talking about ODBCAD32.exe, then it looks like the installation of the driver mis-registered a 32 bit driver ad 64 bit or vise-versa.  It is trying to load either a 32 bit driver from the 64 bit version (C:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe) or trying to load a 64 bit driver from the 32 bit version (C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe).  As the driver listing is determined by registry keys that are set on installation of the driver, it is likely that the driver installer has a fault which is causing it to be mis-registered with ODBC.

I would take this up with Oracle from here, I suppose.

Hope that helps,

John
    This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:53 PM

All replies

• This error code means this:

ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
    193 (0xC1)

%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

If you are talking about ODBCAD32.exe, then it looks like the installation of the driver mis-registered a 32 bit driver ad 64 bit or vise-versa.  It is trying to load either a 32 bit driver from the 64 bit version (C:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe) or trying to load a 64 bit driver from the 32 bit version (C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe).  As the driver listing is determined by registry keys that are set on installation of the driver, it is likely that the driver installer has a fault which is causing it to be mis-registered with ODBC.

I would take this up with Oracle from here, I suppose.

Hope that helps,

John
    This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hello, I had this problem trying to configure postgresql via odbc, which 
    generated the same error ... 
    It worked perfectly with your tips. 
    Sincerely.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi Junior,

So what change did you do in the installer for avoiding the error ?

-Manoj

Monday, March 07, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hey john i had a same problem, so do we need to change in oracle ..... so please can u tell step by step procedure to solve this error
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:36 AM
  • I had the same problem. We changed the Target Path for the execution of the ODBC from "%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe" to "%SystemRoot%\sysWOW64dbcad32.exe". And it worked Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Create a new short cut on desktop, type the location of the item "%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\odbcad32.exe", click Next, then enter "32 bits ODBC Connection", click Finish.

Create a another short cut on desktop, type the location of the item "%WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe", click Next, then enter "64 bits ODBC Connection", click Finish.

Use these short cut for your ODBC Setup.  I hope it helps.

• Edited by Don Hoang Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:02 AM update info
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:54 AM