none
Report Builder Connection

Question

• Im wondering if there is a way to connect to an sdf or mdf file from Report builder

I want a way to connect to a compact or express database from report builder and thuse i dont have to worry about if theres a sql server on user machine

Any help is appreciated

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Ame54,

Regarding to your description, seems you tired to use Report Builder connect to SQL Server Compact and SQL Server Express.

For SQL Server Express you can create data connection and datasets includes information about how to access an external source of data and query command. SQL Server Express connection string likes: Data Source=localhost\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog= AdventureWorks
    For more information, please refer to Data Connections, Data Sources, and Connection Strings in Report Builder 3.0:

For SQL Server Compact as data source for Report Builder, SSRS is extensible and allows you to plug in .NET Framework Data Provider, so you can just configure SSRS to use the SqlCeConnection. Which  should get installed along with SQL Compact 3.5.
    For more information, please refer to Robert Bruckner's Advanced Reporting Services Blog.  and this thread.

Regards, Amber zhang

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Ame54,

Regarding to your description, seems you tired to use Report Builder connect to SQL Server Compact and SQL Server Express.

For SQL Server Express you can create data connection and datasets includes information about how to access an external source of data and query command. SQL Server Express connection string likes: Data Source=localhost\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog= AdventureWorks
    For more information, please refer to Data Connections, Data Sources, and Connection Strings in Report Builder 3.0:

For SQL Server Compact as data source for Report Builder, SSRS is extensible and allows you to plug in .NET Framework Data Provider, so you can just configure SSRS to use the SqlCeConnection. Which  should get installed along with SQL Compact 3.5.
    For more information, please refer to Robert Bruckner's Advanced Reporting Services Blog.  and this thread.

Regards, Amber zhang

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Thank you for your replay very helpfull

However i have one more issue regarding compact 

I was wondering if there's a way to send a user an compact DB as in a sdf file and he can read from it without needing to have access to report services ?

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Thank you for your replay very helpfull

However i have one more issue regarding compact 

I was wondering if there's a way to send a user an compact DB as in a sdf file and he can read from it without needing to have access to report services ?

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:59 AM