none
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server 'xxx'

Question

• Hi All,

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server 'xxx' error was shown on system's application log.

But I tried to execute openquery from SQL Management Studio was fine. SSRS was installed on another server. Is there and resolution for this issue and thanks in advance.

Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:26 PM

Answers

• Not sure if this is the same error you are experiencing but this blog had helped me in the past:

http://sqlmate.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/use-your-text-csv-files-in-your-queries-via-openrowset/

Frank

Frank Garcia

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Just to verify you are getting this error from SSRS?  But works fine on SSMS?

If so this might be a 2nd HOP that is causing the issues.   You are authenticating to SSRS with your credentials which are passed to SQL Server, which further have to be delegated to the final destination for data retrieval. 

Can you please verify your linked server definition and security settings?

Mohit K. Gupta --- MCTS, MCITP, MCC2011
    My Blog OpsVault My MSDN Blog Twitter @SQLCAN

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:24 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this is the same error you are experiencing but this blog had helped me in the past:

http://sqlmate.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/use-your-text-csv-files-in-your-queries-via-openrowset/

Frank

Frank Garcia

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Just to verify you are getting this error from SSRS?  But works fine on SSMS?

If so this might be a 2nd HOP that is causing the issues.   You are authenticating to SSRS with your credentials which are passed to SQL Server, which further have to be delegated to the final destination for data retrieval. 

Can you please verify your linked server definition and security settings?

Mohit K. Gupta --- MCTS, MCITP, MCC2011
    My Blog OpsVault My MSDN Blog Twitter @SQLCAN

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:24 PM