none
Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on ...

Question

• when attempting to execute the following query from within 2005 Mgmt Studio:

sp_dropextendedproperty

@name = 'test_me'

, @level0type = 'schema'

, @level0name = 'dbHSPS.dbo'

, @level1type = 'table'

, @level1name = 'Conflict'

/*[ , [ @level2type = 'column'] { 'level2_object_type' }

, [ @level2name = ] { 'level2_object_name' }

] */

I receive:

"Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on 'dbHSPS.dbo.Conflict', or the object does not exist."

However I can SELECT * FROM dbHSPS.dbo.Conflict and it returns results, and I know the test_me extended property exists for table "Conflict" in dbHSPS.dbo ...

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:11 PM

Answers

• The error is given because the @level0name parameter is incorrect - it uses a two part name for the database and schema instead of just containing the schema name.

If you want to execute the sp_dropextendedproperty in another database than the current one, then you should prefix it like this: dbHSPS.dbo.sp_dropextendedproperty.

Thanks
    Laurentiu

Friday, March 03, 2006 1:06 AM

All replies

• same for update ...

sp_updateextendedproperty

@name = 'test_me'

, @value = 'test me 2'

, @level0type = 'schema'

, @level0name = 'dbHSPS.dbo'

, @level1type = 'table'

, @level1name = 'Conflict'

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:13 PM
  • The error is given because the @level0name parameter is incorrect - it uses a two part name for the database and schema instead of just containing the schema name.

If you want to execute the sp_dropextendedproperty in another database than the current one, then you should prefix it like this: dbHSPS.dbo.sp_dropextendedproperty.

Thanks
    Laurentiu

Friday, March 03, 2006 1:06 AM
  • I ended up going the SMO route instead. It's a little bit slower, but the job gets done.
    Friday, March 03, 2006 2:24 PM