none
Will the reports developed in sql server 2008 r2 BIDS work when deployed on sql server 2012 reporting manager

Question

• Will the reports developed in sql server 2008 r2 BIDS work when deployed on sql server 2012 reporting manager?

when I check on Microsoft site it says

Reports are not upgraded when you upload a report definition file directly to the report server or SharePoint site. Upgrading a report definition in SQL Server Data Tools is the only way to upgrade the .rdl file.

When you open an .rdl file in Report Designer in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), if the report was created for a previous namespace, Report Designer automatically creates a backup file and upgrades the report to the current namespace. This is the only way you can upgrade a report definition file.

Now here is another confusing statement which says

You can upload an .rdl file created in an earlier version of Reporting Services to a SQL Server 2012 report server and it is automatically upgraded on first use. The report server stores the report definition file in the original format. The report is automatically upgraded the first time it is viewed, but the stored report definition file remains unchanged.

All I want to know is if I deploy a rdl made in 2008 r2 to 2012 will it work on the report manager of 2012?

<o:p>
    </o:p>

Mudassar

Thursday, July 03, 2014 5:48 AM

Answers

• I have tested this fucntionality and can confirm that ssrs 2008 r2 reports work when you deploy them on new ssrs 2012 report manager .

No Migration is required .

I didnt even moved report server dbs .All I did is just deployed reports on the report manager and it worked .

"You can upload an .rdl file created in an earlier version of Reporting Services to a SQL Server 2012 report server and it is automatically upgraded on first use. "

Microsoft needs to correct this the documentation is misleading

Mudassar

• Marked as answer by MLTC Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:14 AM

All replies

• Nope

As per suggestion above you need to first open the reports inside SQL Serve Data Tools inside reporting services project and they will get upgraded automatically to 2012 version. Then you would be able to deploy them to your 2012 report server.

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Thursday, July 03, 2014 6:24 AM
  • I have tested this fucntionality and can confirm that ssrs 2008 r2 reports work when you deploy them on new ssrs 2012 report manager .

No Migration is required .

I didnt even moved report server dbs .All I did is just deployed reports on the report manager and it worked .

"You can upload an .rdl file created in an earlier version of Reporting Services to a SQL Server 2012 report server and it is automatically upgraded on first use. "

Microsoft needs to correct this the documentation is misleading

Mudassar

• Marked as answer by MLTC Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:14 AM