none
Cannot delete the green line connection between tasks

Question

• Hi All,

I cannot delete the green line connection between tasks none I can delete the task.  I got the following message:

Cannot show the editor for this task
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Please help!

BI Analyst

Sunday, January 06, 2013 8:57 PM

Answers

• Sounds like the file got corrupted.  If you have your code in source control then try grabbing an earlier copy of the file.  IF you don't have it in source control then I'd start doing that from now on.

Chuck Pedretti | Magenic – North Region | magenic.com

• Marked as answer by BIAnalyst Monday, January 07, 2013 2:43 PM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 10:48 PM

All replies

• What are the tasks? Can you delete one of the tasks and recreate it?

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:52 PM
  • The troubled task is a File System Task that delete file.  I have a Data Flow Task connects to it.  I want to remove the green line between them, but I cannot.  Also, I cannot delete the File System Task nor edit it.

BI Analyst

Sunday, January 06, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Sounds like the file got corrupted.  If you have your code in source control then try grabbing an earlier copy of the file.  IF you don't have it in source control then I'd start doing that from now on.

• Marked as answer by BIAnalyst Monday, January 07, 2013 2:43 PM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Usually I just copied the whole folder (which includes files like the package and the solution file) to a new location as a backup, but unfortunately, I have not done that yet for this one! 

How can I use source control?  It backups up different versions of the package?

BI Analyst

Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a script task in the data flow task?

Maybe it got corrupted. You may need to fix it.

~ J

Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Hi BIAnalyst,

You can use TFS for source safe of your SSIS package. It also does the versioning of your package. You can also use 3rd party tools.

If your package is not so big, better to recreate it.

Regards,
    Santosh

http://microsoftbizintel.wordpress.com/

Monday, January 07, 2013 3:22 AM
  • Hi Chuck,

Usually I just copied the whole folder (which includes files like the package and the solution file) to a new location as a backup, but unfortunately, I have not done that yet for this one! 

How can I use source control?  It backups up different versions of the package?

BI Analyst

Source control will keep a version of the code/package each time you check it in.  There are many options available for source control, some are free.   TFS, SVN, CVS are some of the more common packages.

Monday, January 07, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Guys, I will check the source control out.  Thank you for all your helps!

I closed the solution file (without save) and reopened again and the problem was solved.  I do not remember if I had saved the file before or after the problem came up, but if I did not save it after the problem came up, then in a way, it is a good version of the "backup" file.  :)

Recently, I got an issue with connection name showing up short (showing "..." at the end) in the Connection Managers window, and the problem was also solved after I closed (I saved that time) and reopened it.  I guess if something is going unusually wrong, the best is to close the file and reopen it.  (I would make copy of the current version by copying the whole folder to another location before I close the file with the save option.  This way I will have two versions.)

BI Analyst

• Edited by BIAnalyst Monday, January 07, 2013 2:42 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 2:41 PM