none
Run Reporting services 2005 with databases housed on SQL Server 2008?

Question

• Hi, I have a RS 2005 install in which the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases reside on a different SQL Server 2005 server. I am planning to upgrade both to 2008 at some point but would like to do the SQL database engine first. So I would be running something like this:

Server A: SQL 2005 Reporting Services

Server B: SQL 2008 database engine - housing ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB

Is this configuration supported? If I do this would I just need to run the DB's in 9.0 compatibility mode until we upgrade the RS server? Would it be better to upgrade the RS box first or both of them at the same time instead of doing the database engine first?

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes. It is supported to store the SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS) 2005 catalog databases(e.g. ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB) in a SQL Server 2008 database engine.
    We don't need to change the compatibility mode. Level 100 is fine the catalog databases while the SSRS is in 2005 version.
    Upgrading the Report Server firstly or the database engine firstly is not mind, but just based on my experience, I would suggest you upgrading the databases firstly. After that, please make sure the Report Server is still working. This is used to verify the database is fine in the new database engine. Then, do a backup of the catalog databases, upgarde the Report Server instance. Once the Report Server is upgarded, please upgrade the databases to SSRS 2008 compatible version via "Database" option in Reporting Services Configuration Manager.

Anyway, I would suggest you backuping the SSRS 2005 databases, the configuration files, the encryption key and the other customized extensions. The reason to do that is rollbacking to SSRS 2005 if any fail while upgrading.

For more information, please see:
    How to: Migrate a Reporting Services Installation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143724.aspx

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Brent Willis Friday, September 10, 2010 3:34 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I posted this in the RS forum as well but was thinking it would be better here. I'm not sure if I can move a post to  a different forum or not so sorry for the double post.

I have a RS 2005 install in which the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases reside on a different SQL Server 2005 server. I am planning to upgrade both to 2008 at some point but would like to do the SQL database engine first. So I would be running something like this:

Server A: SQL 2005 Reporting Services

Server B: SQL 2008 database engine - housing ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB

Is this configuration supported? If I do this would I just need to run the DB's in 9.0 compatibility mode until we upgrade the RS server? Would it be better to upgrade the RS box first or both of them at the same time instead of doing the database engine first?

Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Yes. It is supported to store the SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS) 2005 catalog databases(e.g. ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB) in a SQL Server 2008 database engine.
    We don't need to change the compatibility mode. Level 100 is fine the catalog databases while the SSRS is in 2005 version.
    Upgrading the Report Server firstly or the database engine firstly is not mind, but just based on my experience, I would suggest you upgrading the databases firstly. After that, please make sure the Report Server is still working. This is used to verify the database is fine in the new database engine. Then, do a backup of the catalog databases, upgarde the Report Server instance. Once the Report Server is upgarded, please upgrade the databases to SSRS 2008 compatible version via "Database" option in Reporting Services Configuration Manager.

Anyway, I would suggest you backuping the SSRS 2005 databases, the configuration files, the encryption key and the other customized extensions. The reason to do that is rollbacking to SSRS 2005 if any fail while upgrading.

For more information, please see:
    How to: Migrate a Reporting Services Installation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143724.aspx

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Brent Willis Friday, September 10, 2010 3:34 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Thanks Jin!

I will be doing this in a test envionment first but didn't want to spend time testing this if it was not supported. I did not see in the link you supplied where it is supported but I do see where the reverse is supported having SSRS 2008 with a 2005 Database backend to house the databases. Makes since to me that it should work and it sounds like you are confident.

Brent

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi, I have a RS 2005 install in which the ReportServer , ReportServerTempDB and Database   reside on different SQL Server 2005 servers.

We are planning to upgrade only Database server to 2008 now and the rest at some point in future.

Server 1: SQL 2005 Reporting Services

Server 2 : SQL 2005 - housing ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB, ReportManager

Server 3 : SQL 2005 --->>>  SQL 2008 database engine (New Upgrade)

Is this configuration supported?

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:10 PM