none
How can Reporting Services 2008 R2 work with Net Framework 4.0?

Question

• Hi there

I'm trying to use Report Builder, and I got the message saying that I need Net Framework 3.5, quite weird because my computer has NET Framework 4.0.

How can I upgrade, update, configure Reporting Services, so It can work with the latest version of Net Framework? It doesn't make sense to me, that a newest version is useless and you have to go back to an older one.

Best regards

Walking on water and develop systems from specs is easy.....if both of them are frozen

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sergio,

As per the system requirements for Reportbuilder 3.0, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. is a prerequisite. Suggest you to check the System Requirements section here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6116.

If you are on a computer with the Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 operating system, you need to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Use one of the following methods to enable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

• Method 1: Use Server Manager 
      • In Server Manager, click Add Features to display a list of possible features. 
      • In the Select Features interface, expand the .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features entry. 
      • After you expand .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features, you see two check boxes. One check box is for .NET Framework 3.5.1 and other check box is for WCF Activation. Click to select the check box next to .NET Framework 3.5.1, and then click Next. You cannot install .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features unless the required role services and features are also installed.  
      • In the Confirm Installation Selections, review the selections, and then click Install. 
      • Let the installation process complete, and then click Close.
    • Method 2: Use Windows PowerShell 
      • Click the Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.  
      • Expand Windows PowerShell, right-click Windows PowerShell, and click Run as administrator.
      • Click Yes in the User Account Control box.  
      • At the PowerShell command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each      command:

Import-Module ServerManager

Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework

Use the following method to enable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7 SP1: 

• Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off. If       you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 
      • To enable Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. 
      • Click OK.

On other .NET 3.5 SP1 supported operating systems (Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP), you can install from here:http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&id=22

Hope this helps..

Chaitanya( Twitter | Blogs)
    Any documentation bug? Tell us about it at Connect. Please feel free to add any community
    comments in any of the MSDN/technet articles.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:26 AM
  • You may be hitting the same issue as in this thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/0ce59b0b-3e3c-4cda-b7fa-e49e5e17fdb0

The current plan is to fix this issue in the next service pack for SQL 2008 R2.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:29 AM